Depeche Mode - 1997-02-01 5fm & The Cutting Edge, South Africa | dmremix.pro

Depeche Mode 1997-02-01 5fm & The Cutting Edge, South Africa

demoderus

Administrator

1997-02-01 5fm & The Cutting Edge, South Africa​

Interview by Jason Curtis for "The Cutting Edge" and "5fm" South Africa..
Part 1: - Jason speaking to Martin Gore
Part 2: - Jason Curtis speaking to Dave Gahan

demoderus

Administrator

PART 1: - Jason speaking to Martin Gore​

Jason: The past three years have been sortof a "touch and go" period for the band....when one reads the media and so on...how have you kept it all together?...especially with Dave...I mean, I think from your side a little bit easier..
Martin: Well...there were times when it was very touch and go... but, you know, fortunately , Dave has sorted himself out now....he's been clean now for eight months...and when I say clean,its not only clean, he's clean and sober, he doesn't even drink any more....you know...after he made that decision...made that choice things became a lot easier and a lot more pleasurable for us.

Jason: And in putting the new material together, did the break that you had...did that actually...was it actaully harder for you to regroup and write?
Martin: Not really...uhm...i mean i know its been four years since our last album...but that time went by very quickly, we spent 14 months of that on tour....and that really took its toll on all of us, so we definitely needed a break after that....i only think I actually had about six months.... five to six months break before i actaully started writing songs again...so it doesn't feel like I had years off.... and you know....it takes us a long time to make a recordthese days (laugh)....we like to make sure everything is alright...we were in the studio again...funnily enough another 14 months....we had a few breaks here and there for writing....but we have spent quite a lot of the last 14 months in the studio....

Jason: And how many songs did you actually go into the studio with?
Martin: Uhm...well there's nine actual songs on the album with vocals and words....and there are two instrumental link-pieces...there are a few other songs that will make it onto future releases as extra bonus tracks...as 'painkiller' is on the first release 'Barrel of a gun'...we've already recorded an extra track for the second single....and i'm sure we will be doing a few more extra tracks over the course of this year...i've got a few other songs written...

Jason: And...you've used some interesting people...from 'Underworld' to 'One Inch Punch'...did these guys actually approach you to do the remixes or did you ask them?
Martin: No...i think we just like to use people we find interesting...to try and put a new perspective on what we've recorded in the studio...i'm really pleased with all the remixes...i think every one of them is really very special...

Jason: Were there any of these remixes that you actually had to discard?
Martin: Uhm...yeah...we got a mix done by DJ SHADOW.... which is really good but he just used far too many samples... you know...obvious vocal samples even......i mean there's half a verse of some old R&B song happening over the top of 'Painkiller' Heh-heh-heh!... and uhm.. we just didn't feel that that was ok for us to put out because i'm sure we would have been sued to the hill! (laughs)....but i think they're actually trying to clear all the samples now...and i think that version of 'Painkiller' done by DJ SHADOW will come out on a future release...because it is really good.

Jason: Going back to the new material - does it reflect the last four years in between recording?
Martin: Uhm...in a way i suppose so....i suppose, when you write, you write about things that are happening around you at that time....alot of people seem to think that i spend all my songwriting energy trying to imagine what's going on inside Dave's head....

Jason: Heh-heh!
Martin: ...and uhm....that really isn't the case...we obviously have a lot of 'points of reference' because we've been in a band together for so long....and we come from a very similar upbringing....i'm sure that Dave feels the songs very passionately because...he knows what's going on inside my head as opposed to me trying to guess what's happening inside his....

Jason: Did anything really change with the writing of the songs...putting the album together? Did you feel that you wanted to try something new ...something a little bit different on a lyric level?
Martin: Obviously it has been a big change for us because...we lost a member in the four years...and we thought there was a bit of a void there....and i think by working with Tim Simenon on this record...we were able to fill that void because he comes with a team....an engineer...a programmer...and a keyboard player...and especially the keyboard player was very important for me...just on a musical level....because Alan was always the so-called musician in the band...he was classically trained...I'm sortof very self-taught...so having the keyboard player there in Tim's team...and the whole team in itself really helped us to fill that void...and it was a totally different experience...and it was a totally different way of working.

Jason: Because you previously worked with Flood on the last album....
Martin: Yeah we recorded our last two albums with Flood..and it was probably important for us to move on and try something different..have a totally different experience.

Jason: And you're still using Anton Corbijn for the photography and all the videos...what did he actually contribute this time 'round obviously to the album artwork and the your videos?
Martin: Well...for the first time ever...apart from the fact that he's done the video...obviously he's done the sleeve as well...but for the first time ever he's actually drumming with us! Heh-heh!

Jason: Really??!?!
Martin: Yeah (laughs)...he's a photographer who's a frustrated musician...so...at the moment we've only got playback-tv to do..so he's been on...its been quite good fun we've had...we've had Anton playing drums with us, and we've had Tim playing keyboards with us...so...its quite a nice little happy family we've got going up on stage.(laughs)

Jason: And is Anton any good as a drummer? (laugh)
Martin: <pause>...he is good...i dunno if we'll ever use him when it comes to playing real live tv..(laugh)...but...he's definitely atleast adequate for playback-tv! Heh-heh-heh!

Jason: I'm sure he must have enjoyed that because that must have been a change for him....(laugh)
Martin: Well...for Anton i think its a dream come true..those were actually his words! Heh-heh! As i said he has been a frustrated musician...and i think getting up on stage and playing with a band is something totally different for Anton...and at the moment he's like a little kid... he's loving it at the moment! (laughs)

Jason: He's probably gonna bug you should you decide to go on tour (laugh)...
Martin: Well the thing that's worrying me is that...uhm...you know...for the next video...really...uhm..he starts suggesting that 99% of the video should focus on the drummer! (laugh)

Jason: Heh-heh-heh-heh!

demoderus

Administrator

PART 2: - Jason Curtis speaking to Dave Gahan​

Jason: Do you see "Barrel of a gun" as a change in direction for you at all?
Dave: Yeah...uhm....I think it was quite a challenge for us to even put something out like "Barrel of a gun" really... I think its probably the most innovative thing we've done in quite a number of years...uhm...we kinda pushed ourselves to a different area to where we've ever been before really...

Jason: The feedback that I've had...people say it almost has an industrial edge...and listening to the album...it doesn't give a true reflection of the balance of the album, but as a whole is fits in very nicely though...
Dave: Yeah...there were things on the album that were more typically Depeche Mode...and we felt that it would be more of a challenge to ourselves and to fans...and people that were interested...to hear something completely different...i actually feel that its more kinda "hip-hoppy" to be quite honest...than industrial...

Jason: Was it difficult for you to do? ..i mean...obviously having done typically Depeche Mode sounding songs for so long...
Dave: Well...i think it's the nearest we get to a rap record you know...(laughs)

Jason: Well that's good to know! (laugh). What actually changed when Alan left the band?...were there any major changes? Did you have to do a major re-think?
Dave: Uhmm...yeah...because Alan was very much kindof like responsible for the musicianship within the band i guess... you know...to a certain extent...and we needed to fulfil that role...and so, when it was suggested that Tim Simenon come on board with us...he has a crew of a programmer , a musician , and an engineer that he comes with...so really... that fulfilled that role...we didn't really consider stopping or anything...because the strength of Depeche Mode is very much Martin's songs and my voice...and everything else that goes on around it...can go in any direction really...we dont really limit ourselves to where its gonna go...its always gonna have that stamp on it...uhm...my voice creates a feeling for Martin's songs really...

Jason: And did you approach this album differently to...say... 'Songs of faith and devotion'?
Dave: Yeah...personally...i worked on the vocals with a vocal coach with i hadn't done since very very early on in my career...and i found that it helped a great deal to kindof expand the use of my voice , and what i could do with it...what i was capable of...and i think it gave me alot of confidence...and i got to know the songs a lot better than i would have if i had just gone in and try to imitate what Martin was doing with his demos... so i could really put my feeling into it...'cos i knew the songs so well...

Jason: And do you feel positive about the future now that you're sort of back on track?...i mean...i was actually going through the NME story...a herific time i'm sure for you... How do you see yourself now? Do you feel confident?
Dave: Well i'm very happy to say that i'm clean and sober today..and i'm very proud of that...you know...for me its kindof a choice i have to make every day...and i have to take certain steps to make sure that i dont fall back into old kindof actions or feelings...and think... have the misconception that i can cure those feelings by covering them up with drugs...you know...it stopped working a long time ago...and i've been clean and sober now for eight months...

Jason: That's great. Do you think it was actually hurtful to the band..because there was obviously alot of media hype around it which of course didn't help you...
Dave: Well the bottom line is that it came to the point where...the next phonecall was gonna be that i was dead...of course that would be very harmful to the band but...you know...to be honest, the person i was harming the most was myself...and when you're in that situation... really... the only person that you really get clean for is yourself...because without that, you have nothing anyway...it doesn't really matter what goes on around you...because...you're not available...

Jason: And all your vocals were done over a six week period in the States...why did you actually choose to do them at the Electric Lady studios in New York?...because you've never worked there before have you?
Dave: Well that's where i live now...

Jason: In New York yeah?
Dave: Yeah...

Jason: Ok, so you're away from LA which is probably a good thing yeah?
Dave: Yeah...(laughs)

Jason: Probably a very good thing for you...
Dave: Yeah...i mean i think all that i have there now...is alot of remiders of people, places, and things that weren't very good to me at all...and really...in the last eight months i came to realize how little i had there, apart from the troubles i've gotten myself into...because all the people that were around me, including my wife, were no longer around me when the drugs went away...

Jason: And if you had to classify ULTRA...or sum it up in a few sentences...how would you describe the album?
Dave: Uhm...I would describe it as....the NEW and IMPROVED! (laughs)

demoderus

Administrator

PART 3: - Jason speaking to Andy Fletcher​

Jason: The title of the album ULTRA...who's idea was it? Who came up with it?
Fletch: That was Martin.

Jason: Any particular reason?
Fletch: I think he just likes the word...you know...it looks a good word on paper...good logo...very simple...we don't really like the title of the last album that much... so it seemed a good title this time around.

Jason: And is there any sortof common thread throughout the tracks on the new album?
Fletch: Uhm...i think there is a general theme that Martin saw after he wrote all the songs...about destiny and fate... uhm...i think the song sounds are all different...but they got sortof a common thread going through them... and its very hard to tell actually...at the end of the day...we only just finished it...and its all very fresh and new for us...but i'm sure our views will change about it in the next six months to a year...

Jason: Do you have a favourite track on the album that sortof sums it up for you?
Fletch: Yup...i like "Love Thieves"...its a ballad...but i think its got a fantastic feel to it...that's the song i'm playing most at the moment...but...like i say...you know...next week....it could be another track...i'm playing "Insight" quite alot at the moment...

Jason: Because you and Martin held everything together for a period it would seem...obviously with Dave being away... was it a difficult time for you and Martin? Did you think it was sortof...the end?
Fletch: It was a very weird weird weird time because...on the other hand we were really enjoying ourselves...the music was sounding fantastic...but because of the troubles Dave was going through it was also a really big struggle you know...but uhm...i suppose if the music hadn't been going well as well we would have just said "forget about it".

Jason: With that in mind...have you ever wondered what would happen if the band broke up?
Fletch: Uhm...i dunno...you sortof start to formulate your ideas ...it never got to that real stage...there was alot of "on-the-surface" stuff but it never was a big thing... so uhm...again its very hard to contemplate what else you would do if you've been doing something for so long...its a very addictive business...

Jason: With Alan then leaving the band...it was probably a very good thing that you and Martin were still working together...
Fletch: By the time Alan left we hadn't actually decided what we were gonna do...Martin just had a couple of songs... Alan left i believe very prematurely...he left at a time when we weren't actually doing anthing...or we hadn't even planned to do anything...it was a bit odd really... but uhm...he was very adamant...i dunno if he regrets it now...noone has heard from him at all...

Jason: After the last tour, i mean, that was 14 months...do you ever see yourself touring again?...and will it be on the same scale?
Fletch: I'd like to think that we would limit the number of shows...i think we might tour next year...uhm...its a very strange time at the moment...we're all emotionally very fragile...it would be a big mistake to tour this year, now, but maybe next year...you know..if we feel better, we will...

Jason: Do you think that your fans have stuck with you...in the hope that everything would turn out well?..i mean the album is for me very reflective of...not a desperation... but just coming out and saying: "we still have what it takes"
Fletch: I think alot of fans would have thought that we weren't gonna release another record...or certainly people i spoke to...and uhm...alot of fans would have gone on to other things...but that's always the case...uhm...when you dont release an album for 3 or 4 years...alot of people move on...and so in some ways, its like starting again for Depeche Mode...we did "Top of the Pops" this week...the audience were 16 and 17 year old...and none of them have heard of us...when we last released a record they were 12 you know...so there's two ways of looking at it really...there's a whole new audience out there who has never heard our records...and that's quite exciting... because they have no preconceptions...but there's alot of people there that would still be fans... and have been fans of ours for 15 years...you know... we're finding this with the media as well...there's alot of supporters out there...but there's also alot of people that say: "Not them again!" ...you know...that sortof attitude you know...but they're after the next big thing all the time...

Jason: True...true...but do you feel confident with ULTRA? Do you think it will stand out well?
Fletch: I dont think you can tell...we know it's a good album... we know it's a good Depeche Mode album... but... sometimes you need a bit of luck for it to get over to the masses as such...uhm...you want it to be heard by as many
people as possible...you know...if its your time...if you have that bit of luck to do that..and we hope that at the end of the year...uhm...you know...we've had 3 albums that have been successful...and we've enjoyed ourselves...you know...we can't gaurentee anything... there has been great albums that have been released in the past that haven't done anything you know...

Jason: As a last question...Martin was mentioning that Anton was playing some drums...i was wondering how much he let you get involved with the making of the videos seeing that he was allowed behind a drum kit? (laugh)
Fletch: Well...we were going to put a sack over his head! (laughs) but he decided against that...but uhm...its very funny when we have our band meetings with Anton over the videos...Martin or myself or Dave would come up with an idea...Anton would sortof consider it for like...half a second...and then go back to his own idea...(laughs)...but uhm...he is taking his drumming very seriously i must say...he told me the other day he's never been so happy in his life...I think he wants to take it up as a hobby... because most people have photography as a hobby dont they?...its actually his job...
Thanks to Jean Bothma for the transcription.