Depeche Mode - 1997-04-24 Rock Over London | dmremix.pro

Depeche Mode 1997-04-24 Rock Over London

demoderus

Administrator

1997-04-24 Rock Over London​

Depeche Mode interview, Rock Over London radio show, April, 24th 1997 (!)
Interview from Rock Over London radio show.
Hosted by Paul Sexton.

demoderus

Administrator
Rock Over London radio show, April, 24th 1997
Transcription by the WiZ
PS: We all know about the problems the band had in the years leading up to this release and most of them seem to stem from the Devotional tour of 93. So a question for Dave Gahan and first of all Andy Fletcher. Do they regret doing that tour?
AF: It's a lot of good memories, not a bad thing, it was quite a big chunk out of your life.
DG: You have a tendency just to remember the hard times as well and the bad moments. I think that often is the way of life, you know and like Fletch said there was...you know the rewards that you got from it were fantastic, you know, we played a lot of shows to sellout audiences, in I don't know how many cities, but for a long while and uh, we did it you know. We completed what we set out to do. I just think that it was really...we didn't realize how insane it was, until we were actually right in the middle of it and couldn't stop.

PS: So after that tour the band, now minus Alan Wilder of course, had a big rethink and that's brought about at least one major change, as Martin Gore says...
MG: Well I don't think we're considering touring at the moment, with this album which is the first time we've ever contemplated not doing that.
DG: It's a really scary thought.
MG: From day one we've been on tour with every single record, even if it was only for six weeks.
AF: You can't just stop because...you have to think you've got something to offer. And really the music was and is sounding still very good. But you know, you have to try and learn from what's gone on.

PS: No Depeche Mode tour for now then, so what is it that drives on Andy, Martin and Dave after fifteen years and ten albums?
AF: Well you make it for yourself and also, it is nice to turn people on. You hope people are going to like it.
MG: I think if you manage to move yourself somehow, then there is always going to be somebody out there...
AF: That agrees with you. (chuckle)
MG: ...We're all sort of fairly unique but I think that if...there is always some sort of basic emotions that reach most people.
DG: I think that's true, yeah, I think when I sing...my songs, I know inside when it's right and if it moves me...I know that it is going to affect them because that's the way people are, and it's nice to be able to sing a song with your feelings and you know, from your heart. When I sing I'm able to let so much more out then if I try and talk about it.

HOME is now played from the new album.

PS: Well that's definitely one of my favorites on a strong album. Home, Depeche Mode, from Ultra and as you heard them say it's slow but sure in the touring department. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see them out next year to go along side the greatest hits volumes two and three set which they're planning for, in 1998.