bong17_c.jpg

demoderus

Administrator
Bong 17 (July 1992)
bong17_c-jpg.3344

Articles:
Ask Andy
K-ROQ 17/04/92 interview with Alan Wilder by Richard Blade
Everyone Counts in Large Amounts / Depeche Mode Friends Czechoslovakia (fan club news) by Michaela Olexova

Pictures:
page 1 the band in the studio
page 2 Alan in the studio; Dave's wedding
page 3 page 4 Dave
page 5 Martin
page 6 Andy
page 7 page 8 Dave and Martin live

Attachments

• bong17_1.jpg
    bong17_1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 75
  • bong17_2.jpg
    bong17_2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 107
  • bong17_3.jpg
    bong17_3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 77
  • bong17_4.jpg
    bong17_4.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 72
  • bong17_5.jpg
    bong17_5.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 81
  • bong17_6.jpg
    bong17_6.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 78
  • bong17_7.jpg
    bong17_7.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 74
  • bong17_8.jpg
    bong17_8.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 76

demoderus

Administrator
ASK ANDY
[From Bong 17, July 1992.]
Andy answers questions submitted by Bong members.

Which do you like better, your hair red or blond?
Blond is okay, but I’d end up bald.

What’s your favourite part of the human body?
Mouth.

What’s your favourite part of touring?
Seeing new places.

What’s your favourite colour?
Royal blue.

Who do you get along with best in the band?
Martin.

What do you think of Morrissey?
I liked The Smiths, but I don’t think Morrissey’s progressed much since he went solo.

In your opinion, what was the worst DM song ever recorded?
“It’s Called A Heart”.

Has any fan ever embarrassed you? If so, how?
Not that I can remember.

Do you believe in ghosts?
No.

Are you picky?
Sometimes.

Do you like to talk about yourself?
No.

Does DM’s popularity bother you or your family a lot?
No.

What was your biggest fear as a child?
Snakes.

Are you pessimistic?
Yes, very.

How did you develop your interest in music?
Buying records in my teens.

In your opinion what makes up a true DM fan?
I like to think that there isn’t a norm.

Have you ever been to a sports game in America? If so, which one?
I’ve seen baseball and hockey games.

How do you react when fans recognise you in the street?
Depends what mood I’m in – usually it’s nice.

What do you hate most?
Being late.

Do you like dancing?
Sometimes.

Do you write songs?
I haven’t got past the first line.

Will you ever go back to being an insurance salesman?
No.

Why is it whenever DM is interviewed you’re usually the quietest?
I don’t think it’s my job to talk about music & songs.

How do you feel about certain world issues, such as the breaking up of the Soviet Union and what’s going on in South Africa?
South Africa is a step forward. The Soviet Union thing is worrying.

What did you think of the Gulf War?
After starting it they should have gone all the way.

Are you really as “down-to-earth” as you seem?
That’s not for me to decide.

Can you cook?
I’m getting better and am starting to enjoy it.

Do you sing?
I think I sing better than the others seem to think. [1]

Who do you think will win the European Football Championship?
England!

What is your son’s name? Or is it a rumour?
I have a daughter named Megan.

Did you open the bar that Dave mentioned in the KROQ interview, if not, will you?
Yes, I did. [2]

What have you been doing with your life since the last tour?
Recovering.

What made you decide to record in Spain?
To bring the band back to a working unit.

How did you feel about turning 30?
No different.

What’s the best and worst thing about being on tour?
Best – meeting people. Worst – tour manager’s questions.

What do Andy Franks and the rest of the DM crew do between tours?
Most of them do other tours.

What would you do on an average Friday night?
Windsor Club.

Are you married? If not, do you have a girlfriend?
I have a girlfriend, Grainne.

How do you feel the moment you step on stage?
Depends on the night before.

Have you ever fallen in love with someone who didn’t love you back?
No.

Which season of the year do you like best?
Spring.

Do you have any pets?
Yes, one hound, Keira.

Do you think you will ever play in South Africa?
Possibly.

What was your first instrument?
Guitar.

What was one of your most memorable concerts and why?
Rosebowl, Pasadena, because it was such an event.

What do you wear in bed?
Usually nothing.

Are you afraid of spiders?
No.

Why don’t any of you go to the UK conventions?
It would take too much emphasis away from the event.

If you were not a member of Depeche Mode, what occupation would you most like to pursue?
M.P. (Member of Parliament)

Which is your favourite are of the world for recording new material?
I like to try new places.

Would you ever be persuaded to abandon your specs?
I’ve tried contact lenses and I don’t find them comfortable.

Which other group or musician would you like to play with?
I don’t consider myself a musician.

What’s your favourite food and drink?
I like anything and, of course, a nice pint.

Do you plan ahead?
At the moment we’re planning two years ahead.

Do you still get nervous onstage?
Yes, at the beginning of a tour.

Is there any chance of you playing Wembley Stadium? If not, why not?
We wouldn’t rule it out.

Do you enjoy being famous?
Sometimes.

If Chelsea ever won the FA Cup, would you pee your pants?
No, but I might come close.

Who were your musical influences?
In my teens, I liked Glam, Heavy Punk, and New Wave – in that order.

Did you have a favourite teacher?
No.

What was your favourite subject at school?
History and Politics.

Do you speak any language other than English?
A little French and German.

Where do you buy your clothes?
Many places in London.

Where would you ideally like to live, and why?
I’m happy at the present in England.

Some say that DM have ‘neo-nazi’ ideas – what do you think about that?
I’ve never heard that criticism! [3]

If you became Prime Minister, what would be your first official act?
Keep pubs open later.

Do you ever hate being a member of DM? – If so, why?
No.

I heard that you are always kind to fans – do you really enjoy talking to fans?
Yes, if I’m in a good mood.

If you could be reincarnated, which historical figure would you like to be?
Julius Caesar.

Do you ever worry about world events?
Yes, I’m glad we live in a stable country.

What’s your favourite Depeche Mode album?
Violator.

When you’re touring, do the actual concerts ever get boring?
Not really, but they do get a bit routine.

[1] - Andy discusses this further in the EPK to Songs Of Faith And Devotion. [1993. EPK: taken from The Videos 86-98+, MF042. Interview CD: VERBONG1.]
[2] - The bar, Gascogne, was sold a few years ago.
[3] - For what it's worth, neither have I. Although I have often heard the band's style in the mid-1980s described as "Germanic" or "Teutonic". Perhaps this was confusing the questioner, or their industrial style conjured up Nazi-like images in people's minds. Or - although I don't like to think this - perhaps the question was a deliberate lead-on, like the next one.

demoderus

Administrator
K-ROQ 17/04/92 INTERVIEW WITH ALAN WILDER
[From Bong 17, July 1992.]
A transcript of a compelling radio interview with Alan Wilder, discussing the release of "Bloodline", his production work with Nitzer Ebb, and the recording of what became Songs Of Faith And Devotion. An informative piece on some less well-documented aspects of the band.

RICHARD BLADE: We have one member of Depeche Mode and also the guy behind Recoil, Alan Wilder! Hi, Alan!
ALAN WILDER: Hi! How are you?

RB: Okay. Now, before we talk about Recoil, and there’s a lot to talk about, this is the third Recoil album – the third in this ongoing project. Let me just ask you a question that I get asked all the time, and that is, Depeche: is everything on schedule for like, hopefully a single released before the end of the year and then the album in the spring?
AW: Yes, we’ve got quite a simple plan, Richard, which is just to spend this year making a record – on and off, in various different locations – and then we’ll be following that with a big tour, which will probably be most of next year. So, this is a two-year plan.

RB: Wow, so can you name some of the locations you’ve been recording in?
AW: We’re in Madrid. We’ve done some rehearsing there. We’re going back there soon to do another period and then we’ll be moving on to some other places later in the year, yet to be decided

RB: That sounds very exotic for someone who works in the same studio every day. It’s like, yes, I think we’ll record a little bit in Madrid and then it’s off to… because last time wasn’t it Italy and Denmark?
AW: That’s right, yes.

RB: Wow.
AW: Yes, it’s interesting, but actually once you’re in the studio you could be anywhere, really. Particularly, Martin and Fletch like to travel and get around Europe.

RB: Now, is there a particular direction that Depeche is going on this album or is it too soon to say?
AW: It’s far too soon to say really, Richard. You know, it’s very early days and even if I did give you any clue, it would probably change anyway. So, it’s not really for me to say at the moment.

RB: Okay, and the final Depeche question: Were you involved with “Death’s Door” on the soundtrack of “Until The End Of The World” and what did you think of the single?
AW: Yes, we recorded that but it wasn’t really a single, Richard.

RB: Well, we played it like one.
AW: Yes, I know you did. We recorded that back in April or March last year, and we were pleased with it. We did it quite quickly and eventually it ended up on the soundtrack album which didn’t come out until a lot later. I haven’t even seen the film yet, but I’d be interested to see it.

RB: Well, from what we’ve been reading about the reviews, the soundtrack is by far better than the movie, which is a shame because Wim Wenders has done some great stuff in the past such as Wings [Of Desire], etc…
AW: I hear it’s a very long film.

RB: Yes, it lasts until the end of the world apparently. OK, let’s talk about Recoil, which is definitely an ongoing project. I mean, this is the third from Recoil, right?
AW: That’s right. It’s the first that’s actually been released on Reprise, or Sire, but it is actually the third one I’ve done, and a lot of people wouldn’t have come across the previous ones unless they found them on import or something like that. But, the very first one was really a demo and it sort of, almost by accident, ended up. But it was never really intended as a proper album. But after that, the second one was a “proper album” if you like. But, it was all instrumental and this more recent one started off in that direction, but as I developed the thing and did some recording back in the early part of last year, I realized that it wasn’t really enough. You know, it didn’t really stand up just as instrumental music. So, it was at that point I decided to get some different vocalists involved, one of which was Douglas from Nitzer Ebb and there’s also Toni Halliday from Curve – she sings on two tracks, and there’s another track which features Moby on vocals. It’s quite varied.

RB: Was there ever any thought of you doing any singing on it?
AW: Uh, no, in a word.

RB: Is that because you’re too shy?
AW: Partly, and partly I just don’t think I’ve got the kind of voice required to carry off a lead vocal. I can sort of handle backing vocals, but no, I never really considered that. I felt, lyrics are not really my strong point, and I wanted to get someone in who I thought was very good at that particular job, or some different people who could add their own character to the album.

RB: We’re going to play a cut from Recoil right now. You were saying that lyrics aren’t your strong point. This is actually a remake from the legendary Alex Harvey Band, right? “Faith Healer”?
AW: That’s correct, yes.

RB: Now, I remember being a kid in England listening to Alex Harvey and seeing some wild performances he used to do on Top Of The Pops in usually a black and white striped T-shirt. He’s passed away now, right?
AW: That’s right. I think he died of liver failure.

RB: Imbibing too much of the substances, right.
AW: Well, sounds like it. It was a while ago, in fact. I don’t think the Alex Harvey Band were every particularly big in America. And maybe the fact that I’ve covered one of his songs might encourage a few people to go and rediscover some of their records. They did make some very good records back in the early Seventies. And they were, as you say, a particularly good live band, as well.

RB: Yes, I remember seeing them on Top Of The Pops, waiting for Thursday nights, and when Alex Harvey had a new cut I had to see what they would be doing. It was wild stuff. OK, we’re going to play – if you can hang on the Satellite Line because we want to come back to chat some more and play another cut from Recoil. But, we’re going to play “Faith Healer” right now, on KROQ. Is that alright, can you stick around for a bit, Alan?
AW: Yes, of course.

RB: OK, great.

demoderus

Administrator
FAITH HEALER

RB: That’s the track that leads of Recoil’s album, Bloodline at 106.7 KROQ, K-R-O-Q. The man behind Recoil, the ongoing project, Alan Wilder, with us for a couple more minutes by satellite from England. Great cut. Great version of “Faith Healer”. Are you pleased with it?
AW: I’m very pleased with it, yes. As I say, it’s one of my all-time favourite songs and I tried to do a version of it about three or four years ago but I never quite got it finished. So when I got another opportunity to do it, I thought I’d take it up.

RB: Right. Now, do you often do that when you listen to records – maybe you’re driving around in the car or you hear something on the radio, do you thin: “God, you know, I’m a musician. I’d like to do a remake of that one myself.”
AW: There’s not that many songs. I think it’s preferable to try and do original material, but there are the occasional ones where you feel you could perhaps offer a tribute to the original artists, and you feel strongly enough to do it. And that’s one of those songs.

RB: Now, you like doing a lot of stuff behind the scenes in addition to obviously, being a performer with Depeche and working on their music, you’ve done work on production with Nitzer Ebb, right?
AW: Yes, they asked me if I would be interested in working on their album last year, and I thought it would be a good experience for me, as much as anything, just to see what it’s like to work with some different people for a change and also the responsibility of being a producer as such, and the added things you have to do, which I’m not sure I actually enjoyed that much.

RB: Too much work, right?
AW: Well, it’s the responsibility. You’re ultimately the one who has to get the thing in on time and make sure you don’t go over budget and deal with all the politics that goes with talking to the record company. I’m not sure I really enjoy that side of things, although I still value the experience of having done it.

RB: With that experience, does it enable you to “bring more to the pot”, so to speak, when you come back with Depeche and you’re in the studio?
AW: Hopefully. I mean, that’s the way I try and look at it. Everything I do is learning and something positive to be gained from. Ideally, I should, perhaps, have taken more free time off last year rather than work so hard, but in the end I hope it will bring something positive to the new Depeche album.

RB: Now, when you are not working, just as A. Wilder, the guy, what do you like to do in your free time? You say you didn’t have much of it last year. What would you ideally like to have done? You know, what does someone of your stature in the music business do when they’re not behind the turntable or behind the mixing console?
AW: Really, the simple things in life are just as important to me as anything else. When I do have free time, I like to be fairly private, spend time with the family and just do simple things like go out to restaurants and cinema just like most people, really.

RB: Just a regular guy in the street, right?
AW: That’s right.

RB: Who just so happens to play to 60,000 people when they go on tour. Do you miss that, because it’s been two and a half years now since we’ve seen Depeche Mode live, or two years at least.
AW: Um, I don’t really miss it. I also know that we’re going to be doing another tour next year, so I know it’s all coming around again. And often, when you’re actually involved in a very long tour you start to wonder if you’ll ever want to do it again. But, that’s not to say those moments when you play in front of very big crowds like that aren’t very special.

RB: Yes, the adulation that you must feel as you walk onto that stage must be quite something.
AW: Yes, just the noise level is quite incredible, really. Sometimes, you can’t even hear the music you’re supposed to be playing.

RB: And you’re just hoping the monitor speakers are really on and there hasn’t been a power failure on stage.
AW: That’s right.

RB: OK, well thanks Alan very much for talking with us. We’re going to play another cut from Bloodline which is the third Recoil album, but the first really that you can pick up in any store in America. It’s released on Sire / Reprise records over here. And it’s a terrific album, a seven track album, and which track would you like, Alan?
AW: I’d like to hear “Edge To Life”, which is one of the tracks that features Toni Halliday from Curve.

RB: Any particular reason why you selected this cut?
AW: It just happens to be my favourite at the moment. It has a nice atmosphere about it which particularly appeals to me.

RB: Are you like me, you know, your tastes change? You said it’s your favourite at the moment, but if I asked you in four days, you might go: “Well, you know, I quite like “Freeze” now”?
AW: Yes, that’s true. I change my mind all the time.

RB: OK, well thanks a lot, Alan. We look forward to playing more of Bloodline on the air. We’re going to play “Edge To Life” right now and as soon as we hear something new from Depeche, I know we’ll be talking to you again and seeing you over here. But again, thanks for your time. Thanks for being on Satellite with KROQ. And we really appreciate it. You got a message for the KROQ listeners?
AW: Just the usual. Thanks for listening and we hope to get over again as soon as we possibly can because we know we’ve got a lot of fans who are listening to KROQ all the time.

demoderus

Administrator
EVERYONE COUNTS IN LARGE AMOUNTS / DEPECHE MODE FRIENDS CZECHOSLOVAKIA
[From Bong 17, July 1992. Words: Jo Bailey / Michaela Olexova.]
Two articles tying in with each other on the difficult situation for fans in Czechoslovakia, and Eastern Europe in general, shortly before and after the collapse of the Iron Curtain. Very inspiring reading!

[Everyone Counts In Large Amounts - Depeche Mode Friends Say "Halo"]

In 1991, the world witnessed the fall of the Soviet Union, and for many this was the start of a new life and a new way of living. In the new C.I.S. and Eastern Europe in general, there are many Depeche Mode fans, who lack the opportunities we have to buy DM music and merchandise, or even receive information, because currently their currency is worth very little on the international market. Because of this, BONG would like to recognize the fans in Eastern Europe and offer them an opportunity to become members of the fan club. In order to do this, we must ask for your help. We would like to begin an Adopt-A-Fan service, so our friends in the Eastern European countries can become a part of BONG and Depeche Mode, too.

The following article was written by Michaela Olexova, a fan club organiser in Czechoslovakia, who publishes “Halo” for many fans. This will be our first attempt at joining forces with Eastern Europe. [1]

If you are interested in helping your fellow fans, please drop us a line, telling us your desired sex, age and interests so we can match you up with your own personal DM fan.

This is one small way of “spreading the news around the world”. Thank you for helping fans in need. Please post all enquiries to the usual address. [2]

[Depeche Mode Friends Czechoslovakia]

The news that Depeche Mode were coming to Prague to play one concert during the “Music For The Masses” tour in 1988 surprised everybody in the country. It was the first concert in Czechoslovakia for the band and also the first concert in our rock history at all, as we had no chance to see bands from Western Europe and the USA – thanks to the Communist regime.

When that concert passed, plenty of DM fans appeared in the country who tried to obtain DM records, videos, T-shirts, posters and other promotional material. However, there was no opportunity to buy these things. Therefore, the few people in Prague got together and decided to start a DM fan club for all these fans in Czechoslovakia to try to help them know DM better than they could before. We were organising many meetings where the fans could exchange their DM material, listen to Depeche Mode music, meet new friends and so on. We really enjoyed ourselves even though we had to tolerate the police assistance during each meeting. The police were required to keep their eyes on bigger groups who may have demonstrated against the Communist regime. However, DM fans assured them that we didn’t want to make any problems or riots and convince them that we were only interested in one thing – the group Depeche Mode and their music.

About the end of 1989, at the time of our “sweet democratic revolution”, when everybody was full of enthusiasm and ambitions to do something new, we announced that the Fan Club, “Depeche Mode Friends”, had started. Our membership base has increased and we’ve received dozens of letters from the fans all over Czechoslovakia. We were really happy it was moving on, and glad that almost 3,500 fans wanted to join us. We gradually planned our organisation during the year and decided to publish a fanzine called “HALO” four times a year to inform the fans about our Fan Club, as well as DM themselves, and we also include some competitions and quizzes. All our fans have membership cards and an opportunity to participate in our big Fan Club Convention which we organise once a year with a lot of fun, music, competitions, prizes, etc.

The beginning of the year 1990, “Depeche Mode Friends” hit the road to Munich (Germany) to see DM live on stage during their “World Violation” tour, as no concert was planned for Czechoslovakia. I think the 14 lucky fans will never forget it (thanks to Andy Franks).

We don’t have to complain any more, because the possibility of travelling abroad gives us the chance to buy DM records, whereas before they just dreamt about them. The opening of Mute Czechoslovakia in Prague last June is a progression, too. I believe another dream will come true when all our fans together with the other fans from what was formerly Eastern Europe will be able to join BONG in London and see DM in concert as well as the other fans in the world.

[1] - The forces were to become joined very closely some years down the line. Michaela Olexova eventually became the joint editor of Bong, along with Lynn Newcombe.
[2] - I'm always really impressed by the camaraderie between Depeche Mode fans who may be complete strangers or thousands of miles apart. There are too many examples for me to even begin listing here, but read this tour report where Estonian fans went far beyond the call of duty to help an otherwise beleaguered English fan.[Bong 41]