Attachments

• bong33_1.jpg
    bong33_1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 67

demoderus

Administrator
GERMANY MODES ON
[From Bong 33, September 1997. Words: Monica Lepping.]
Summary: A German fan recounts meeting the band at a TV performance and in their hotel. She had a fantastic time, but after following them from hotel to studio to hotel bar I can't help but think this is the kind of "devotion" that makes band members' lives hell.

Wednesday morning, 7th May 1997, I got to work and couldn’t think of anything else other than Depeche Mode! I told my boss that I had to go to Cologne to see my heroes and believe it or not, he gave me the day off! Thank you!

I arrived in Cologne around lunchtime and went straight to the hotel where the Band were staying and where my friend had already booked a room for us. When I met her the first thing she said was: “Guess what? Our room is only two doors from Dave’s suite”, I couldn’t believe my ears, but it was true. Poor Dave…

It was about time to leave for the RTL studios for the rehearsal. There were only about 40 fans and so it was very intimate. The atmosphere was really brilliant. Depeche Mode had to perform "It’s No Good" twice and after they were done we had a chance to get their autographs and take some pictures. It was a very small studio and we all got a chance to chat to everyone.

After this short break they performed “It’s No Good” again and suddenly Dave wanted to sing “Barrel Of A Gun”. Martin wasn’t quite in the mood for this and murmured: “Oh yes and why not “Boys Say Go” as well?” I agreed and asked them to perform “Useless” and “Home” too. Everybody laughed and then they sang “Barrel Of A Gun” just for us.

When we got down to the lounge again, hundreds of other fans were there screaming crying and climbing on chairs and tables to get a glimpse of the Band. They got tired of that quite soon and left. As it was already quite late at night, we went back to the hotel and ended up at the hotel bar with Martin, Fletch, the crew and about 15 other fans.

After some time, Martin and a few other fans went to a nightclub called Apollo, but Jenny and I were too tired, so we decided to stay. What a good choice we made! It was only Jenny, myself, the crew and Fletch who stayed in the bar and what a great time we had! Andy was very nice and a great person to talk to!

All in all, we had a brilliant time but I would like to mention one thing that really made us angry… It was the RTL that didn’t treat us very well and when we saw the show on TV we couldn’t believe what they did to the band’s performance we saw during rehearsals. I think they’d better fire their technicians!

Now I would just like to thank everyone who made this possible. A big kiss to Jenny and a cuddle for JD. Hope to see you all very soon again.

Lots of strange and higher love!

demoderus

Administrator
S.O.F.A.D. - LIVE
[From Bong 33, September 1997. Words: Various contributors.]
Summary: Reviews of "Songs Of Faith And Devotion - Live" by Bong readers and the music press.

“Songs Of Faith And Devotion – Live” is a product of one of the most extensive and exhausting tours Depeche Mode ever experienced. Opening with the audacious “I Feel You”, the Modes reveal that they truly can rock and roll. The catchy guitar arrangement and pounding backbeat generated by live drums add a new dimension to their concert performance, yet classic Depeche Mode elements still remain. Back up gospel vocals on “Condemnation” and several other tracks provide an elevating feeling of spirituality throughout the entire album. David Gahan delivers his best vocal performance on “Condemnation” and the energy emanating from the audience and the band is captivating. The fact that Depeche Mode do not limit themselves to one particular style of music enhances the album and gives the band a new slant in the music industry. Once techno-pop gurus, now Depeche Mode incorporate a wide variety of influences from rock to gospel to classical, attracting a broader audience than perhaps they could before. One of the most breathtaking tracks on the disc, “One Caress”, combines beautifully orchestrated strings with a powerful vocal performance from Martin Gore. It is absolutely brilliant. Finally the album closes with “Higher Love”, a song that is both inspiring and uplifting. “SOFADS – Live” unites all the components that formulate Depeche Mode, the old and new, because Depeche Mode have progressed to new musical horizons, audiences of all sorts can appreciate what this band has to offer: emotional and meaningful songs that are genuine and real.
Jennifer Clay
Denver, USA

As the title suggests, this live album follows the running-order and style of the original blueprint. By anchoring the release so literally, Depeche Mode have produced a technically impressive memory-jogger, but it’s hardly an imaginative, unique document of their 1993 tour. On this year’s trail across America and Europe the twin evils of stadium pomp and Dave Gahan’s self-obsessed angst intruded on the dark vignettes of songwriter, Martin Gore. However, once the crass visuals are removed the musical power of their show is fully evident. Gahan’s voice sounds massive on blistering versions of “I Fell You” and “Higher Love” although, irritatingly, some of the lines are lost in the singer’s quest to involve the audience in a singalong. The band’s new-found aggressive spirit is forcefully conveyed through Gore’s industrial guitars and Alan Wilder’s power-drumming on tracks like “Mercy” ["...In You"] and “Rush”, but their ballads remain air-tight copies of the originals, cloning the studio-takes to evocative but pointless effect.
Steve Malins, VOX (UK)
(January 1994)

“Songs Of Faith And Devotion – Live” for me is one of this year’s best albums and the best Mode album to date, seeing them with a gothic techno rock sound that is darker than ever before. Recorded live on this year’s “Devotional” tour “Songs Of Faith And Devotion – Live” is more of a companion to the studio album. Saying that, however, it is a very listenable album in its own right, showing just what a band Depeche Mode have become over the years. Most of the tracks come over just as well live as in the studio with the added bonus on the live album of snatches of the remixed versions thrown in. More likely to be bought by people who already have the studio album, it is a brave attempt at a live album in that it is a live version of a studio album and not just a few album tracks plus greatest hits. Depeche Mode are one of the best British bands about at the moment both live and in the studio. “Songs Of Faith And Devotion – Live” is a testimony to this.
Fuse (UK)
(December 1993)

“Songs Of Faith And Devotion – Live” begins with the Eno mix of “I Feel You”. Those who experienced this live will know how effective this was. Subtle, gradually building rhythms punctuated with industrial screams culminating in the blast of drums and the gorgeously ‘horny’ guitar refrain. “I Feel You” sets the album alight as it sets the live show on fire. A gorgeous mix of Blues, Rock & more ambient moments, and an incredibly sexy bass and drum line. It is always difficult to translate the feel of a live set to an album. However, “Songs Of Faith And Devotion – Live” captures the mood with ease. This is not simply due to the beseeching audience, but also how the interplay of the band, notably by Dave, is captured on the recording. Depeche Mode whack it out live and this album captures the connection between band and audience. When listening to the album it is easy to recall Anton’s great, surreal imagery that was used on the live set. “Walking In My Shoes” reminds us of the “Madonna-esque” attired woman strutting across the screens with Dave mimicking in front on stage. The little nuances of the guitar, which Martin supplements “Walking In My Shoes” with, work very well. “Condemnation” with added gospel backing booms out the heady mix of sex and religion, adored by Martin, with simplistic elegance. Once again the supplements added to the live versions work very well. “Judas” with added ‘heartbeats’ recalls “Somebody” and testifies to the brilliance of Martin’s voice, while “In Your Room” is as intense on the recording as I can remember it live. The best thing about the album is that it adds to the feel of each song, but also the interaction of the band and audience. It also testifies to the ongoing invention within the band. This album captures what Depeche Mode are: intelligent, hard working, innovative, and damn good at performing live.
David Stevenson
Norwich, UK

demoderus

Administrator
DEPECHE MODE SUMMER CAMP 97
[From Bong 33, September 1997. Words: Dana Styblo.]
Summary: A brief account (too brief in my opinion - I would have loved to hear more) of a week long break organised by the Depeche Mode fans in the Czech Republic.

The original idea to organise some kind of summer activity for Depeche Mode fans was thought up a few years back and since then it has almost become a tradition among Czech fans. This year’s Summer Camp dedicated to Depeche Mode and their fans was organised from 28th June til 6th July in a small village Drhovle in the south of Bohemia.

The local cottage and several tents in the nearby garden were occupied by almost 100 fans from all around Czech Republic and Slovakia, including a dog, a mouse and a cat. There was lots of swimming, hiking, trips to the castles, horse riding and barbecues… for evening entertainment, dancing and Depeche Mode music, a local club was invaded regularly by all the devotees.

The whole atmosphere, companionship and the day to day activities made this event yet another unforgettable experience in the fans’ lives.

demoderus

Administrator
I MET THAT BLOKE FROM DEPECHE MODE ONCE
[From Bong 33, September 1997. Words: Various contributors.]
Summary: Two English fans reminisce on meeting Depeche Mode, and a Portuguese fan gives Dave a blast from the past... By the way, the picture scanned below relates to this article. [815 words]
[As this was a regular feature there are too many similar articles to list here. Try the Bong main page, beginning at Bong 24.]

I met that guy from Depeche Mode once… the venue – HMV, Oxford Street, London… the occasion – a personal appearance by the band to autograph copies of “Music For The Masses”.
Ten years ago now but I remember the evening. I can’t describe the buzz in the air at events like this. It felt like being at one of their concerts… being amongst other excited fans… the familiar songs playing from the loudspeakers. And this time there was a chance of getting that much closer to the band. Maybe exchange a few words.
As the photos show, I have Dave a testing time with my name… “That’s D.I.A.N.N.E., Dave; I’ve got two “N”s in my name”, I said!! He got the spelling right, handed back my album and I moved on to the next – Alan, I think. Then Fletch and Martin.
A good night, a big grin on my face and a signed album for my collection…
Dianne Harvie
Bury St. Edmunds, UK

I’ve been a DM fan since 1985 when I heard “Shake The Disease” on the radio and fell in love with it. I noticed the different sounds and approach to music, melody, danceable and meaningful, Depeche Mode had.
I must say I’ve been quite lucky to have met Depeche Mode, especially Martin, on various occasions – I’ve always considered him a special person and I still do. I was very pleased to meet Martin on 27/10/87 outside a well-known hotel in Rome the day of the gig during the “Music For The Masses Tour” and get his autograph and pictures of him. At that time I unfortunately didn’t get a chance to go backstage. Also, I couldn’t get a picture with him as many people were there!
The pictures attached were taken at two different times. The one I have red hair in was taken on the occasion of the “World Violation Tour” in Rome (1990). Backstage. The other one was taken in London in late 1992 in a Soho nightclub where Martin used to go and also myself regularly, because of the excellent atmosphere, interesting people and music that they played there.
Additional note: thanks to the same passion for Depeche Mode, in 1987 I met my best friend Fabiaha outside the hotel where the band stayed – she’s still my best mate!!!
Daniela Pula
London, UK

It was 11th July 1993 around 8pm and five crazy DM fans were waiting for their big moment… Each of us won the backstage pass either through a radio or newspaper contest. We were waiting for quite some time as one of the band member was delayed. Then we were finally picked up by the band’s personnel and led backstage of the Jose de Alvalade stadium. Everybody was very excited! We almost felt as big as the stars themselves!
Finally, the last door and we were to see our idols! But there was no-one in there when we walked in. So we were asked to sit down and wait a few more minutes. We were all very nervous and the waiting didn’t help it either. But then, there he was, Dave in person, passing by and heading to a nearby bathroom. He looked at us, gave us a smile and disappeared again. Three minutes later we saw Andy, followed by Alan and Martin, coming to greet us.
We were introduced to the boys. I was mistakenly introduced as one of the members of the Portuguese DM Fan Club but they seemed to be quite happy with that. After this we could take pictures, ask for autographs and talk to the band… So I used this opportunity to approach Dave. I brought along a picture from my archives showing Dave when he was only about five years of age and so I wanted to know if that really was him. When Dave looked at the photograph he was really surprised but then he confirmed that it is him. “Yes, it is me!”, he said. “Where did you get this? These fans are crazy, they’ve got everything!” He kept looking at the picture and showed it to the rest of the band saying: “Look, that’s me!” I also had a chance to pass the best regards on to Dave from several other Portuguese fans who were not as lucky as me to get backstage. Martin was also given a tape with a recording of Madredeus, a Portuguese band, from one of the other fans.
We hung around at backstage for about 18 minutes and then it was almost “Devotional” time. The concert itself was very special in two ways – there were no curtains at the intro of “Higher Love” as it was quite windy that night and when Dave gave Martin a big kiss at the end of the show. It seemed that not only Depeche Mode fans enjoyed themselves that wonderful night in Lisbon…
Ana Martins
Codex, Portugal