Administrator
Bong 50 (December 2001)
bong50_c.jpg

demoderus

Administrator
Bong 50 (December 2001)

Articles:
Ask Depeche Mode
On Road With Depeche Mode (various contributors)
The Story of Depeche Mode (part 3) by Tony Wood
The Best of Bong
When Budapest Meets Depeche Mode by Michaela Olexova

Pictures:
page 1 Dave live
page 2 backstage in Prague
page 3 Dave and Jon Kessler off duty in Prague
page 4 the 2002 calendar
page 5 shots of Martin live
page 6 Dave live

Attachments

• bong50_1.jpg
    bong50_1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 58
  • bong50_2.jpg
    bong50_2.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 64
  • bong50_3.jpg
    bong50_3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 70
  • bong50_4.jpg
    bong50_4.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 67
  • bong50_5.jpg
    bong50_5.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 64
  • bong50_6.jpg
    bong50_6.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 65

demoderus

Administrator
ON ROAD WITH DEPECHE MODE
[From Bong 50, December 2001.]
Summary: The band members answer questions submitted by Bong members relating to performing live and the touring life.

How often do you get an opportunity to ask Depeche Mode what it’s like to live on the road for several months? In the last issue of Bong we encouraged you to send us a question which you’ve been dying to ask Dave, Fletch or Martin. We selected twenty of them, which have been answered, and as promised an autographed tour programme is on its way to Jan Jensen from Denmark, whose question was chosen by the Band as the most interesting one. Congratulations!!

I can only imagine that living on the road is a mixture of excitement, exhaustion and satisfaction. But everyone needs a good laugh from time to time, so I wondered who the practical joker is, and what is the most memorable prank played on the band or individual member whist living on the road? (Dean Fisk, England)

Martin: Peter Gordeno has got to be the wittiest one of all. He can definitely make you smile if you are having a bad day and make some smart comment to cheer you up. Though Peter was the funniest, Jez Web, our guitar tech, played a very funny joke at the last show in Mannheim. While we were performing “Personal Jesus”, he came out with a giant-sized mobile phone and pretended to be making a call – it was hysterical. Jez has got also got to be one of the funniest people on tour with us.

What’s the weirdest thing that happened to you on the road? (Shelley Blair, N. Ireland)

Martin: Many weird things have happened to us on the road, too many to count. One of the things I do remember though was when we were in Russia and there was a fan that waited outside the hotel the entire time we were there, and he looked exactly like I did in the 80s – with the same hairstyle and clothes. The funny thing was, she was a woman. We then began calling her Martina whenever we saw her.

How often do you see your families (on average) when you’re touring, and do your kids easily get free from school if they fly over to see their dad? (Willy Maten, Holland)

Dave: We try to see our families as much as possible, but it is not easy to get the children out of school. They are limited on vacation days like any other child, and since they have so many other activities as well, it makes it more difficult. Many of our children did come out at the beginning of the tour, but then after September 11, many plans changed. Fletch’s children came out a great deal through the European leg, but since Martin’s and my children live in the US, the tragic events were unfolding and we wanted to wait and see what happened.

Do all the band members soundcheck or just some of you? (Oscar Sanchez Molina, Spain)

Fletch: All of the band members soundcheck.

Who and when decides what the night’s setlist is going to be like? Is it decided just before going onstage or planned weeks ahead? (Jan Jensen, Denmark)

Dave: Our set list varied a little throughout the tour, but the majority of it stayed the same. This was chosen before the tour began in June.

Who decides which songs Martin performs on the night? (Jan Jensen, Denmark)

Martin: I decide which song I am going to perform, and it really just depends on what I am feeling like that day. At the beginning of the tour, I tended to keep to 2-3 songs to switch around, but during the European leg, I brought in many more songs that I felt like playing, ones I had not played in such a long time.

You haven’t played “I Feel Loved” since the show in Leipzig, Germany. Why have you stopped playing this song, especially since it was a singles release? (Lars Peter Kongsen, Denmark)

Dave: “I Feel Loved” is a difficult song to sing vocally, and it began to strain my voice too much.

What would you, as a band, say is the most fundamental difference (both good & bad) in life on the road of a DM tour in 2001 compared to say a tour back in 1981? Be it: playing stadiums as opposed to clubs; staying in 5 star hotels as opposed to hostel; travelling by limo as opposed to travelling by tube? (Mario Moodley, England)

Dave: Life is very different on the road now, just as you said with playing in large venues and staying in nicer hotels. Also, our mentality is different and we are able to appreciate what we have and what we do. And it is nice to see the fans that have grown up with us along the way.

What is it like coordinating older material with the new stuff of “Exciter” and presenting it with such finesse and new life as you have so far on the “Exciter Tour”? (Bruce F. R. Santillanes, USA)

Fletch: We really enjoy our new songs and have a great time singing them live. We also still enjoy playing some of our older songs, so the combination works out great. The older songs represent us just as much as the new ones, and I think all of the music together shows where we are today.

I read that one of Fletch’s interests is reading. What do you like to read besides your newspapers?

Fletch: I am fascinated with world history, so many of the books I read are about that, whether it be historical leaders or war, etc…

What do you take with you after being away for so long? (Marijke Gummels, Holland)

Martin: We all try to take home some gifts, from the countries we’ve visited, for our families and friends.

What is usually the first thing you do when you get home after the tour is over? (Marijke Gummels, Holland)

Fletch: The first thing I do when I get home from tour is try to sleep and get back into a normal schedule. Since our nights are so long on tour, you never truly get caught up on all your sleep – so complete rest and relaxation is always something that you need to do once you get home.

What does a fan have to do to get a backstage pass or talk to you in person? (Marijke Gummels, Holland)

Martin: Not too sure…

What are your favourite games or other fun activities on tour?

Fletch: One thing we do love to do is to play table football. We have one in our “Pub” backstage and we ALWAYS play before a show. This is something that we did on the last tour as well.

Do any of you have rituals before you perform such as meditations, eating a certain meal, wearing the same pair of socks etc? (Mike and Rebecca Henriksen, USA)

Dave: I tend to do the same thing every night before a show which is to take some time to rest and relax, then I work out, then right before I go onstage, I do 30-40 minutes of vocal exercises.

The tour backdrop videos are really amusing… is Anton free to do as he pleases with his visual ideas, or do you have any input with suggestions? (Sarah Schaschke, England)

Dave: Anton pretty much has free rein to do what he sees best, but we always have the final approval and decide whether we like it or not. Anton knows us very well and we know that he will come up with amazing things. We have also given him our ideas at times too, which he will play around with.

What belongings do you take in your suitcase when you’re on the road? (Suzanne Miskelly, England)

Martin: I take the basic things like clothes, stereo, books to read…

How do you keep your voice in top condition on such a long tour, which takes in so many countries around the world? (Ian Miller, England)

Dave: I try to take great care of my voice and am constantly exercising it and making sure to be healthy. If I do start to feel that it is a bit strained, I drink tons of tea and vitamins and try to rest as much as possible.

How do you decide where and where not to tour apart from throwing a dart at the map of the world? (Ian Miller, England)

Fletch: We work with our agent who helps us actually book the tour and figure out the most logical route and most important areas we need to go in order for our fans to have access to us.

Do you work out on gym equipment and do you take such equipment on the road with you and what type? (Patricia M. Sesoko, USA)

Martin: We work out in the gyms in our hotels – we do not take any equipment with us.

demoderus

Administrator
THE STORY OF DEPECHE MODE (PART 3)
[From Bong 50, December 2001. Words: Tony Wood.]
Summary: The final part of an excellent three-part band history, originally broadcast by a London radio station at the time of the release of Exciter. This part covers 1992 to the present day, and for once the piece doesn't ham up Dave's - or anyone's - troubles.
Part 1:

Please Login or Register to view hidden text.

Part 2:

Enjoy the concluding part of a two-hour documentary “The Story of Depeche Mode” first broadcast on May 7th at 3.00pm on London Radio Live 94.9, which was produced by Tony Wood and narrated by Gary Crowley, both fans of the band for many years. Those of you with Internet access can hear the documentary in its entirety on the website . So the story continues…

…After “Violator”, the band decided to have a year apart, in which time both Fletch and Martin became fathers, and Alan pursued his solo project, Recoil, by releasing an album titled “Bloodline” – a collection of collaborations with various vocalists, including Moby. Dave Gahan had elected to leave London and moved to LA. When they all met up to start recording the next album, changes in the lead singer were apparent…

Fletch recalls: “During ‘Violator’, he was absolutely fine, he had his short hair. Then we didn’t see him after the ‘Violator’ tour for about a year or so. When he came to Spain at the beginning of recording ‘Songs Of Faith And Devotion’ he had long hair, saying we should become a grunge band, and disappearing into his bedroom for about four days at a time. So it was a real change.”

“We needed to push the boundaries a bit and try and do something completely different with ‘Violator’. I’m sure sub-consciously there was pressure there to repeat that success, and the obvious thing to do would have been to make a very similar record. None of us really wanted to do that. I think, between Flood, myself and Dave we all felt that we wanted to make it as different as we could, and surprise people with it,” explains Alan Wilder.

Daniel Miller recalls the tension during the recording sessions: “It was a very difficult album to make. Dave was very much off in his own world. Alan felt that he wanted to get on with the album, and he didn’t really need anybody else around to do it. The tension in the band was pretty bad – they weren’t really talking to each other. I remember, they started off in Spain; they rented a house in Madrid and built a studio. Flood was producing again. I remember going out there a couple of weeks after they started and just walking into the house and there was such a bad vibe.”

Dave’s much publicised drug addiction was visibly affecting his health. Anton Corbijn was becoming aware of the frontman’s problems: “I didn’t realise how deep this state was that he was in. But I remember getting a call from Michael Stipe saying ‘I’ve seen Dave and I think he needs help, you just need to give him a call’. I think some other people were shocked and thought it was just Dave going through a phase.”

Despite this, and Fletch suffering a second bout of depression and being forced to return to England, the album does get completed, and gives them their first UK number 1. As with “Black Celebration”, the darkness and turmoil within the band was reflected in the sound of the record. With four successful singles to come from the album, Depeche launched the “Devotional Tour”. The cracks were starting to show.

Alan Wilder: “It obviously did put a lot of strain on the band, and probably more than any previous tour, simply because it was twice as long. Anyone that has been on tour knows it’s an endurance test and even though you can have great fun on the road it becomes this great endurance test to see if you can get to the end, it seems to take forever.”

Daniel Miller: “Dave was obviously heavily on drugs at the time, throughout the tour. The band weren’t talking to each other. You’d have Martin and Fletch going to the gig in one car, Alan would go to the gig in another car and Dave would go in another car. Dave didn’t really speak to the other members of the band. The only times he saw the other members of the band were when they were on stage. The moment he got off stage, he went into his dressing room with his candles and everything, Alan went into his dressing room… it was a very, very unhappy situation. Fletch was finding it very difficult, he was having personal problems. I was extremely worried. When it came to a decision about doing a second American tour I tried to put my foot down and said ‘I don’t think you should do this, you should absolutely not do the second half of this tour’.”

So against Daniel’s advice, and Fletch’s wishes, Depeche DID go ahead with a second tour of America. Alan explains the main motivation behind the decision: “I think if one is truthful, it was financial. There weren’t many other reasons that I could think of why we’d want to do it, except that we did play a few territories that we wouldn’t normally have gone to, like South America. But I think, if you weigh everything up, the sensible decision would have been, we don’t need to do this, let’s just stop.”

At the end of the tour, Martin married his partner Suzanne and Dave disappeared back to the States. But the experience of recording “Songs Of Faith And Devotion”, and the subsequent tour had put so much stress on the band that something had to give. The last man in was the next to go. Alan announced his departure in May 1995: “I think my decision to leave the band came during the making of that album. I can remember one or two occasions during the recording that stick vividly in my mind, particularly those first sessions where I thought ‘this is just not enjoyable, this is the last time I want to be in this situation’.”

Defiant as before, when Vince left, Fletch explains that Alan’s decision to leave was not going to cripple Depeche Mode: “We just had a meeting – Martin, me and Alan, and he just announced it. I personally think he felt that there wasn’t going to be another Depeche Mode album, and he thought he’d get his bit in first, and of course considering the state Dave was in at the time, at any point we could have got a phone call saying he was dead.”

Dave’s situation was still deteriorating. He came through an attempted suicide. DJ Richard Blade heard first hand that Dave had tried to take his own life: “I had a phone call from the paramedic and he called me and said ‘you might want to know this, we’ve just admitted Dave Gahan for multiple lacerations’. I was recording his phone call and then I asked what his name was and he said he wasn’t allowed to give it and that officially he wasn’t allowed to be making the call, he was a medical personnel and those records are privileged. So I never revealed his name and never played that call but thank goodness I recorded it because I went on the air and I announced it and I said ‘I think Dave Gahan has tried to commit suicide’.”

demoderus

Administrator
As Depeche fans the world over watched with worried eyes over the slide of Dave Gahan, there would be more upheaval to come. Dave suffered a cardiac arrest following an overdose, in which he died for two minutes. Although recovering, Dave as charged for being under the influence of controlled substances – an event which Daniel Miller believes finally convinced Dave it was time to get clean: “The best thing that happened to Dave was his arrest. They forced him to go into rehab and told him that if he didn’t come out clean, he’d be chucked out of America. I think his love for America and his desire to be able to work there and live there, plus he suddenly realised the impact everything was having on the band, I think helped him through that.”

All of this was going off at the same time the band were working on their next project. Miller had suggested a Greatest Hits compilation, and proposed they write a couple of new tracks to contribute towards it. [1] They’d recruited Bomb The Bass’s Tim Simenon as their new producer, and after promising studio sessions, Miller’s plan was eventually sidelined. Fifteen painstaking months later, “Ultra” was completed. “Barrel Of A Gun” was to be the first single release – certain critics were quick to allege that Martin had written it for, and about, Dave Gahan.

Daniel Miller: “Nobody thought they were going to make it through that album. Even I, for the first time, wasn’t sure if they were going to make it. I felt there was a really good chance, but I started having my doubts because of what was going on. I think the fact that they did was a shock to everybody who was close to the band, and to the media, who were watching with interest.”

Sensibly, the band decided not to tour the album. Dave was well on his way to recovery, and after “Ultra” sold three million copies worldwide, it was time to revisit Miller’s suggestion of another compilation. “The Singles 86-98” was launched in October 1998, supported by a successful five-month tour.

Which brings us to Depeche’s latest album – “Exciter”. Recorded in Santa Barbara, New York City and London, “Exciter” finds Depeche Mode content, and happy with each other – and it shows in the fresh feel of the record.

Martin: “I think we’ve always made weird pop, and I think it’s a great example of that. I don’t think it fits into a defined musical category, but we never have, so that’s not a particular worry. I just like being able to make music that’s different, and if it’s successful as well, then that’s good.”

The band brought in Mark Bell as the album’s producer – a man who has previously worked with many other artists, including Björk. But had writing new material got more difficult for Martin over the years? Martin explains: “I think it does get harder because your quality control goes up. You know there’s a certain standard that you’ve got to achieve each time. We’ve got such a history behind us now and we can’t let ourselves down. We have to make sure that what we release is worthwhile, otherwise there’s just no point.”

Editor of Time Out magazine and London Live presenter, Lee Davies, although a self-confessed Depeche Mode fan, says this eagerly anticipated follow up to “Ultra” is already receiving positive reviews amongst the music press: “I think critically the new album seems to be quite well received. I think partly because they seem to have been through the mill again – having lost Alan Wilder – I think the critics are quite up for giving them a bit of an easy ride on this album. Having said that, the album isn’t bad, and I think it actually surprises people because it seems quite assured musically. “Ultra” was in a way quite a mess, it was quite full on, it didn’t quite know where it was going. [2] With this album, very interestingly, it does sound like a mixture of all the sounds they’ve done in the past, yet it manages to stay contemporary. I think that critics have reacted very well to that.”

“When The Body Speaks” is one of the many highlights from the new album, “Exciter”. The band are extremely proud of their new collection of songs as Martin Gore and David Gahan explain. “Exciter” is a blend of Martin’s unusual songwriting approach together with their constant need to re-invent themselves.

Martin: “I think most of my songs are about relationships in some form or other, but not in a bland way. There’s always a twist to the songs, and there’s always some kind of suffering. They’re not just out-and-out pop songs.”

Dave: “I’m very proud of the work that I’ve contributed to this record, and I want people to hear it. I’ve really enjoyed singing on this album too, and I’ve enjoyed it more because I’m in a good place, I feel really content. Yes, I want it to sell millions of copies, I’d love to pick up a Grammy next year, and get an MTV award. I’d like to pick up a Brit award – I’d be lying if I said I didn’t – but if it doesn’t happen, c’est la vie… we’ve made a great record and we’re going to go out and tour. I know our fans are really loyal and they’ll be coming to see us. There’s not much else you can really ask for. I’m doing what I want to do in my life.”

With Anton Corbijn on board again to design the stage sets and visuals, Depeche will soon be unleashed on the “Exciter Tour”. No doubt the fans will be out in their droves to catch a glimpse of the Basildon boys again when they play here in London in October – and for those who haven’t seen the Mode in concert, it’s fully recommended.

So the long journey from Basildon minnows to stadium giants, although rocky at times, has been an enjoyable one. From that first meeting with Daniel Miller, through the departures of Vince Clarke and then Alan Wilder, Depeche Mode have often had to take knocks on the chin, but have never really fallen down or had to brush themselves off. And even when the odds were stacked against them, their unique chemistry pulled them through. Ever modest and down to earth, Depeche have been surprised at times by their popularity and success. Whilst those around them are not surprised at all.

“Exciter” will be Depeche Mode’s 10th studio album. And after a career spanning more than 20 years, selling over 50 million albums worldwide, the Depeche Mode legacy is one of this country’s proudest and most successful products.

[1] - This idea had in fact been simmering at least as far back as 1994. Part of the reason behind the video to In Your Room consisting of flashbacks to earlier videos is that the track would be the final one on any "Greatest Hits" compilation. Apparently Mute went as far as producing promotional posters for the album before it was put on hold.
[2] - It might seem strange to include such a lukewarm album review in this otherwise positive and supportive article. But while many fans have a special place for Ultra, comparatively few would reject Lee Davies' comments. A review from the time, albeit with some undeserved harshness, goes into more detail.

demoderus

Administrator
THE BEST OF BONG
[From Bong 50, December 2001.]
Summary: A recap of some of the finer moments (in Bong's opinion, although I would disagree in many cases) from Bong Magazine, in celebration of it notching up its 50th issue.[Where I have the original magazine, I have supplied links to the full articles.]

Dave Gahan K-ROQ Radio Interview, Bong 14
Richard Blade: How does the lead singer of Depeche Mode spend his birthday? Dave: Well, being 21 again (laughter), we went out last night to a Mexican restaurant and drank a lot of strawberry margaritas. [original article here]

Ask Andy, Bong 17
Do you sing? “I think I sing better than the others seem to think.” / What’s the best and worst thing about being on tour? “Best – meeting people. Worst: Tour Manager’s questions.” / If you were reincarnated, which historical figure would you like to be? “Julius Caesar.” [original article here]

Ask Martin, Bong 18
How long did it take you to write your first song and how old were you? “About one hour when I was 13.” / Any regrets, career-wise? “Leaving my job at the bank.” / If you were not a member of DM, what do you think you’d be doing? “No idea. I’d be a tramp maybe.” [original article here]

Ask Dave, Bong 19
Do you ever get nervous before shows? “Sure, sure, sometimes, maybe, well no.” / Who is your favourite actor? “Beavis, Bart Simpson.” / If you could change the world, what’s the first thing you would do? “Make it flat.” [original article here]

Ask Anton, Bong 22
How do Depeche Mode compare to other bands and artists that you have worked with over the years, such as U2? “It’s a much longer name.” / What was the hardest video to film and why? “The first video ‘A Question Of Time’, because it was the first time I did my own camera work, there was no money for anything and apart from Alan, the band only wanted to turn up for 3 hours. Also ‘I Feel You’ had some problems but they were weather related.” [original article here]

Ask Daryl, Bong 23
How did you meet the band and get to work with them? “At school and growing up in Basildon. I offered to hump equipment for them in return for beer.” / In general, what do you think of the DM fans? “I’m intrigued by their obsessiveness, and moved by their passion.” [original article here]

Daryl’s Devotional Diary, Bong 23
September 7th, Quebec: Went to court with Dave today. All charges were dropped. We were so happy we bought ice-lollies on the way out of the courthouse and appeared on the front cover of the local newspaper eating them. You’ve gotta laugh, ain’t ya? Dave did a very good show tonight, considering he had done some bird. [original article here]

Ask Daniel, Bong 24
What advice would you give to a band that is just starting out? “Be clear about what you want to do. Don’t be fooled by the music industry, work extremely hard and don’t compromise (too much!!)” / What (or who) made you want to start up a record company? “Me. I wanted to put out a single that I had made.” [original article here]

Any Second Now, Bong 24
“It’s really odd, at first you think God, imagine being on TOTP, imagine being in the top ten, but it all changes when it begins to happen. When we got into the lower charts we thought it was good for a while, but then we thought well it’s no good unless we get into the Top 40. Then we thought well it’s no good unless we get into the Top 20…” (Depeche Mode, August 1981). [1]

[1] - Read the original article from 1981 here.

There is no link to the "Any Second Now" feature itself because it's a collection of magazine quotes and memorabilia, most of which is readily available elsewhere, but scans of the pages are available on the Bong Magazine page.

Last edited:

demoderus

Administrator
Marek Lieberberg Celebrates 25 Years In The Music Business, Bong 26
…As the wine began to flow, so did the conversation. In some corners you could see deep, intense business discussions going on, with deals being struck and hands being shook. In other more jovial quarters Martin had set fire to his shirt (and skin) and managed to effortlessly break a very expensive marble table completely in half (I vouched for him – he barely leant on it…). The rest of the organisation? JD, Fletch and I were our usual respectable selves. Jonathan Kessler, as always, protested intense jet lag, but I’m sorry Franksy, you do not get jet lag while crossing London and your behaviour was inexcusable… (Daryl Bamonte) [original article here]

In Search Of Depeche Mode, Bong 30
Is there a target audience you want to attract with this album (Ultra)? Martin: No, not really. My soul brothers and soul sisters, that’s my target audience (laughs). / Name one thing you are most proud of. Fletch: I suppose we have always been considered the underdogs, especially over here in England. So it’s good to show people, year after year, that we have got something to offer.

Depeche Mode Press Conference In Cologne, Bong 36
How many people can we expect on stage on the new tour? Martin: At the moment, Tim, our producer, wants to come on stage with us for a couple of songs and scratch – whatever that is. We’re not sure. [original article here]

The Singles 86>98 by Martin Gore, Bong 37
“A Question Of Lust” – This track has always been almost like an old 50s or 60s classic pop song. It’s a really good song to do live and it’s got a great melody. I joked with the others about it the other day, saying that I think The Beatles stole the melody from me… [original article here]

Singles Diary, Bong 40
September 27th, Milan – Our short but sweet visit to Italy ends here in Milan. Martin has his wife and daughters out for the show. His eldest happily tickles the ivories during soundcheck and having heard Fletch’s son sing a rousing version of “Postman Pat” in rehearsals the Depeche Mode legacy seems likely to live on. After the show the band, in true rock fashion, leave to a waiting plane to return to Britain. (Jez Webb) [original article here]

Fletch In Prague, Bong 44
There is nothing better than a Czech beer in a traditional Czech pub with a brewery at your table. Yes, believe me! Not many Czechs come here as it is always packed with tourists – this was, in fact, also my very first visit. The place is heaven, but only if you are not a vegetarian. After some deliberation, Andy goes for the roast duck and dumplings. There is enough time to talk about the recording of the new material and the Basildon Convention while we are waiting for our food. It is funny how many memories you can recall when you need to… (Michaela Olexova) [original article here]

What’s Up Fletch, Bong 46
What was it like when you first heard the new material? Does it always surprise you? Fletch: That’s one of the highlights of being in the group. Listening to demos for the first time is always exciting. Some of the demos you like immediately and some you like after a while. [original article here]

Behind The Scenes With Anton Corbijn, Bong 47
When you are asked to come up with an idea for the album artwork, does it help to listen to the new material or does it take something else? Anton: Yes, it is the new material, the title and what the band say about it. The word “Exciter” sounds like a typical Martin word and has a sexual meaning in a way… and that sort of pictures on the album too, but at the same time it’s quite a broad nature and it goes down to the core of things. I think the music is a bit like that as well… it’s quite relaxed… it has beautiful sounds and it’s a very different Depeche again. [original article here]

demoderus

Administrator
WHEN BUDAPEST MEETS DEPECHE MODE
[From Bong 50, December 2001. Words: Michaela Olexova.]
Summary: A review of one of Hungary's legendary fan conventions, on 14th September 2001.

It doesn’t happen that often when your favourite band comes to town to perform during their tour and within a couple of days you are in a venue next door, trying to relive the concert atmosphere at a fan club convention. If you were in Budapest in September you could’ve experienced both, which is exactly what we did…

We didn’t have to think twice when Lajos Borbely, the head of the Hungarian Fan Club of Depeche Mode, contacted us back in June with an idea of organizing another convention in Budapest. Why do I say “another”? It was a few years ago when we got together with Lajos for the first time to hold The International Bong Convention in the Hungarian capital, which was a big success and attracted the attention of many fans across the country and even abroad.

We started making plans immediately and set the date of the convention two days after the DM show… how appropriate? The invitations were sent out to the local members of Bong weeks in advance. The posters and flyers advertised the event across the country. We managed to collect some promotional stuff from Mute, which together with some signed photo cards of the Band, made nice prize packages for the contest winners.

A few weeks before the convention, just when we were about to book the flights, Lynn had to cancel the trip, and so it was only my two friends Robert (a long-time DM fan), Carlos (Bong’s graphic designer) and myself who made it to Budapest for the Depeche Mode show and the fan club party in the end. We were greeted by Lajos and his friend Gabor upon our arrival and treated like royalty during the three days of our stay in the city. But the convention night was yet to come…

Fan Club conventions in Budapest are so different to the rest as they already have a tradition of several years and the enthusiasm of Lajos and his team is rewarded by a regular attendance of approx. 1000 fans at each of the DM nights they organize. The one on Friday 14th September was no different. We were advised not to turn up at the venue earlier than 10pm because it usually gets crowded much later… it is just because the fans are used to that.

It wasn’t difficult finding the venue as there were already groups of fans hanging out in front of the Petofi Hall and to my surprise many more were already inside on the dance floor or by the bar. We were shown around briefly by Lajos but then he disappeared for most of the night as he was busy… I didn’t blame him as I know what it takes to be responsible for a night like this. We wandered around for a while sipping our Coronas and taking in the atmosphere. I was generally impressed by the amount of fans dancing and singing to Depeche Mode music… they were even following Dave on the video screen with the arm waving during “Never Let Me Down Again” and it almost felt like the real show for a moment. The selection of danceable remixes and video images was very well done and the blown up images of Anton Corbijn photos from the tour programme made a nice decoration throughout the night. The several contests run over the night gave an opportunity to distribute DM prizes brought over from London and I was quite amazed to see that there were many fans from abroad among the crowd… in fact, one of the first winners was a bloke from England!

All in all, we had a great night out… a night that celebrated Depeche Mode and their music. I cannot wait for the one held by Bong on March 30th, 2002 in Basildon!!