Dave Gahan - Apocalypse Jukebox: Dave Gahan (Q, 2005) | dmremix.pro

Dave Gahan Apocalypse Jukebox: Dave Gahan (Q, 2005)

demoderus

Administrator
Apocalypse Jukebox: Dave Gahan
[Q, June 2005. Words: Dave Gahan. Picture: Uncredited.]
q010605_1.jpg
Dave chooses the 10 songs he would like to hear one last time if the end of the world was imminent. Some artists are, knowing Dave, a foregone conclusion, but other very unusual or obscure choices throw a welcome new light on Dave as a person aside of Depeche Mode.
" A friend introduced me to this. I remember nicking the lyric sheet from him, taking it home and singing it in front of the mirror. Bowie was the first person who made me want to perform. "

The end is nigh. What are the final 10 songs you want to hear? Last requests: Depeche Mode’s Dave Gahan.

10 - God Only Knows
The Beach Boys
What amazes me about this is how little technology there was around at the time, and how incredible it sounds. Sometimes, you don’t fully understand why a song makes such a connection in your life, but this one does. On the surface, it sounds so carefree. Listen closely, and it’s pretty fucked up.
Get it: Pet Sounds (Capitol, 1966)

9 - A Man Needs A Maid
Neil Young
I haven’t always been a fan of his, but the encouragement of the rest of the bad eventually brought me round. This song really does it for me. We all need a maid in life, don’t we? Especially when things get dark. I’m lucky now, because I have one. My beautiful wife.
Get it: Harvest (Reprise, 1972)

8 - Search And Destroy
Iggy & The Stooges
I didn’t discover them until punk had long finished, but what an incredible piece of music this is. It’s the most revitalising song I’ve ever heard. Iggy is a hero. [1] He pushed himself towards breaking point, then pulled back without destroying himself. And that’s what it’s all about, right?
Get it: Raw Power (Columbia, 1973)

7 - Moonage Daydream (Live)
David Bowie
I like the Ziggy Stardust version, but I much prefer the one from David Live. A friend introduced me to this. I remember nicking the lyric sheet from him, taking it home and singing it in front of the mirror. Bowie was the first person who made me want to perform. I love his sense of theatre.
Get it: David Live (RCA, 1974)

6 - London Calling
The Clash
This song reminds me of London at a very specific time in my life. I’d just joined Depeche Mode, and for the first time I felt like I was truly part of something. [2] Like a lot of the songs on this list, London Calling helped me escape into the realms of fantasy. I’ve had to escape into fantasy for great chunks of my life.
Get it: London Calling (CBS, 1979)

5 - Hiding All Away
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
The man’s a genius. I love the way he can be really funny and really disturbing at the same time. He chuckles at the beginning of this song, which is just perfect. Listening to Cave makes me feel connected to life in all its colours.
Get it: Abattoir Blues / The Lyre Of Orpheus (Mute, 2004)

4 - It Serves You Right To Suffer
John Lee Hooker
I love John Lee Hooker. His voice really speaks to me. He uses it like an instrument. It has so much emotion, and is so affecting that it helps pull me out of myself. What do I mean? Well, I’m very self-absorbed a lot of the time, which isn’t good. Music like this rescues me from that state.
Get it: It Serves You Right To Suffer (Impulse!, 1966)

3 - The Desperate Kingdom Of Love
P J Harvey
This is like an old Johnny Cash song. I tend to believe everything P J Harvey says – she sings with such honesty. I’m drawn to her music, even when it’s pretty hard to listen to. You can hear the damage in her voice, which is probably what makes her so special, right?
Get it: Uh Huh Her (Island, 2004)

2 - Flugufrelsarinn
Sigur Ros
This must be the most apocalyptic music I’ve ever heard, and the most beautiful. I remember thinking a couple of years ago that new music had nothing fresh to offer, and then Sigur Ros came along. The whole album blows me away, to be honest. It sounds like it comes from outer space. It really is astonishing stuff. [3]
Get it: Agaetis Byrjun (Fat Cat, 2000)

1 - Three Days
Jane’s Addiction
I first heard this song at a particularly destructive time in my life, and always thought it was particularly relevant to me. I love its crash and burn attitude, which is a plan I also had for myself, although it never quite worked out. I’m happy with life now, thank God, but the level of destruction in this song still gets me excited.
Get it: Ritual De Lo Habitual (Warners, 1990)

[1] - Reading this it's easy to imagine Dave being the one to push for Depeche Mode to cover the Stooges' track "Dirt", which appears on the 1st CD of the I Feel Loved single.
[2] - They might also have been the reason he was in Depeche Mode at all. Dave in 1997: "I went to see The Clash when I was like 15, and I looked up and thought, "Wow! I could do that! And if I could get three other people to join in with me, this could be amazing!" You know, it was happening right there."

Please Login or Register to view hidden text.

[3] - Dave approached their producer Ken Thomas to work with him on his 2003 solo album Paper Monsters because of how much he liked Sigur Ros's music.