Dave Gahan - Dave Gahan Compilation - Rumours and trues about fighting, drugs and the hospital "gigs" (Jaakko's Page Depeche Mode, 1996) | dmremix.pro

Dave Gahan Dave Gahan Compilation - Rumours and trues about fighting, drugs and the hospital "gigs" (Jaakko's Page Depeche Mode, 1996)

demoderus

Administrator
Dave Gahan Compilation (Jaakko's Page Depeche Mode, 1996)
Rumours and trues about fighting, drugs and the hospital "gigs". August 1995 and from May to August 1996.

demoderus

Administrator
The following article was published in the "Globe" on August 1, 1995:

"Depeche Mode maniac pounded me to a pulp -- art dealer's shocking charge
A wounded art dealer says Depeche Mode rocker David Gahan attacked him in a jealous rage - headbutting him so hard, docs needed seven stiches to close the gash.
Arizona art expert Roy Anderson claims he was waiting outside a Hollywood hotel for his ex-pal David when the singer came charging out.
'He suddenly bashed me with his head, right above my left temple. Blood was pouring out like a faucet,' insists Roy, who says he met the 34-year-old rocker several months ago. Cops rushed the Tucson dealer to a hospital, where docs used seven stiches to stop the bleeding. Now police are investigating and Roy's talking lawsuit.
He believes David attacked him because he says he met with the singer's 35-year-old wife Teresa the day before to talk about problems in the couple's marriage. Roy says he later jokingly told David: 'I slept with your wife.'
'He was incensed,' reveals Roy. 'But it was completely harmless.'"
-- Jack Carter

k: BC-USA-DEPECHE
h:

Suicide try puts Depeche Mode leader in hospital
LOS ANGELES, Aug 21 (Reuter) - David Gahan, leader of the top-selling British pop band Depeche Mode, is recovering in hospital after trying to commit suicide, authorities said on Monday.
Police responded to an emergency call at the singer's Los Angeles home last Thursday and found he had slashed his wrist with a razor blade.
"He sustained a two -inch (five cm) laceration to his wrist," said Detective Joel Brown of the West Hollywood Sheriff's Department. "It wasn't like he was dying."
Gahan, 33, is currently at Los Angeles' Cedars Sinai Medical Centre where he is being evaluated for mental competency, Brown said.
A spokeswoman at Cedars Sinai referred all calls to Gahan's New York publicist, Michael Pagnotta, who said the incident was a "private matter."
Depeche Mode, best known for songs such as "Just Can't Get Enough" and "Personal Jesus", have sold millions of records and packed stadiums since the early 1980's.
Depeche Mode's highly-stylised techno-pop sound, like that of other bands such as OMD and The Cure, touched a chord among disaffected young people and remains a staple of modern rock radio.
REUTER
212153 GMT aug 95

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 15:14:44 -0500
Subject: Official Mute Statement

>I have just uploaded a statement on behalf of Dave Gahan to the Mute BBS. This
>will be on the Mute WWW pages as soon as we can get it added.
>
>It's in the Artists Section, in the Depeche Mode folder, and the file is called
>"DaveGahan.statement".
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Janet
>EIS/MLT

STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF DAVE GAHAN

London, 18 August
Dave Gahan, lead singer of Depeche Mode, was admitted to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Beverly Hills, California, USA, yesterday morning. He is resting comfortably and expects to be released soon.

- - -

demoderus

Administrator
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 14:04:49 +1000
Subject: Dave is out of the hospital.

Hi all,
Unbelievably it seems I am the first person to actually call the hospital in Beverly Hills to see wheather or not Dave is there! A member of staff told me that a MR David Gahan had been admitted,but was discharged on the 17th.As one would expect they refused to offer me any additional information.So I guess he is going to be ok!
Regards Ken.

Depeche Mode Singer Goes Public About His Alleged Suicide

According to a report in Globe magazine, Depeche Mode lead singer, David Gahan talked about the events that led up to his alleged suicide attempt, insisting that he wasn't trying to kill himself, but did allow that he was depressed after experiencing a string of personal tragedies--the breakup of his marriage, and a fallow period in his career. Gahan admitted that "I drank a bottle of wine and swallowed a handful of Valium. That combination is really stupid. I walked into the bathroom and saw a razor blade and slashed it across my wrists real hard. It was a spur of the moment thing. I cut real deep, so I couldn't even feel my fingers anymore."

According to the report, the accident occurred a week after Gahan checked out of the Sierra Tucson rehab clinic in Tucson, Arizona--his second visit there. Adding insult to injury, when he returned to Los Angels, he found that his house had been broken into. "I lost everything. I planned to slash my wrist that night. I was angry at how mean people can be. My home was an empty shell."

Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 10:30:16 -0700 (PDT)
Reply-To: Daniel Barassi
Subject: BRAT/David does it again

Here's the official words:
LOS ANGELES (Reuter) - David Gahan, lead singer of the rock band Depeche Mode, was arrested early Tuesday on suspicion of possessing drugs after apparently overdosing on cocaine, a police spokesman said.

Gahan, a founding member of the popular British alternative rock group, was taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after collapsing at his home in West Hollywood, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Lt. Steven Weisgarber said. It was not immediately known whether he would be charged.

Weisgarber said sheriff's deputies called to the home found a large quantity of what appeared to be cocaine. After treatment at Cedars-Sinai, Gahan was released into the custody of the sheriff's department.

Depeche Mode, founded in 1980, had two British Top 20 singles, ``New Life'' and ``Just Can't Get Enough'', as well as a British Top 10 album, ``Speak and Spell'', in 1982. In the United States, the group's single ``People are People'' reached No. 13 in the American Hot 100 in 1985.

Their first album to get into the American Top 100 was ''Black Celebration'' in 1986, followed by ``Music for the Masses'' in 1987. Their 1990 album, ``Violator'' and the single from it, ``Enjoy the Silence'' both made the American Top 10 in 1990.

Reuters/Variety

Los Angeles Times, May 28, 1996:

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (AP) David Gahan, lead singer of the rock group Depeche Mode, was arrested early Tuesday after overdosing on drugs, authorities said.
Gahan, 34, was arrested for investigation of cocaine possession and being under the influence of heroin, said sheriff's Lt. Steven Weisgarber of the West Hollywood station.
Bail was set at $10,000, Weisgarber said.
Depeche Mode, a British band, is known for such hits as ``Just Can't Get Enough'' and ``Personal Jesus.''
Deputies and paramedics responding to a call of a drug overdose at the Sunset Marquis hotel found Gahan passed out on the floor of a hotel room at 1:15 a.m., Weisgarber said. The hotel is a popular spot for musicians.
Authorities found syringes in the room and believe Gahan injected a ``speedball'' an intravenous brew of cocaine and heroin, Weisgarber said. The people with him who summoned help said he passed out 10 minutes after taking drugs, Weisgarber said.
Gahan, who lives in the Los Angeles area, was taken to nearby Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where he was treated for a drug overdose and released, police said.
He was then taken to the sheriff's station and booked, but as of 8 a.m. he had not made bail, the department said.
Gahan was hospitalized briefly in August 1995 after slashing his wrist in a suicide attempt.

----->>I'll add this to my David page in a few minutes. And people wonder why David has a page, and Martin doesn't. Martin is smart...he doesn't do this shit! David keeps making news, and in a BAD way.

demoderus

Administrator
Date: Wed, 29 May 96 03:01:39 +0400 (GMT+0400)
Reply-To: Sergey Ukladov
Subject: New update from Reuters...

A small corrections in this update...

Tuesday May 28 5:38 PM EDT
UPDATE 1: Depeche Mode's David Gahan Arrested On Drug Charges

LOS ANGELES (Reuter) - David Gahan, lead singer of the Britsh techno-rock band Depeche Mode, was arrested Tuesday after apparently overdosing on cocaine and heroin, a police spokesman said.
Gahan, a founding member of the chart-topping group, was taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center for treatment after collapsing at a Hollywood hotel, Los Angeles County Sheriff's spokesman Gabe Ramirez said.
He said police found a ``sizeable'' amount of what was believed to be a mixture of cocaine and heroin in the bathroom of the hotel room where Gahan was found.
After being released from the hospital, Gahan, 34, was booked for possession and being under the influence of controlled substances.
Bail was set at $10,000 with a court hearing scheduled for June 18. Gahan told local KCAL television that he had recently been attending a drug treatment program.
{The rest of article skipped. What's the point of mentioning dM having two Top 20 UK hits in 1982? Did they not have hits after that?}

Sergey

Date: Wed, 29 May 96 8:41:00 +0000
To: Depeche Mode Mailing List
Subject: Dave Gahan - New on UK radio

- - Mail - -
May 29, 1996 8:37am
TO: Bong
SUBJECT: Dave Gahan - New on UK radio

I know you will have already heard - this is how I found out.

7.00am

BBC Radio 1 this morning, the first thing I heard - what news to wake up to...

"Dave Gahan is facing drugs charges after being admitted to hospital after a heroin overdose last night"

the was a sound-byte from Dave which went something like

"This cats 9 lives are definately up, I just want to say sorry to ?? and all my fans".

The article was not mentioned on the following news breaks, so I guess that's it (I was hoping to digitise it).

I felt the blood drain out my face when I heard this - it's seems worse in a way to the attempted suicide. I hope that's it for drugs now.

This came after one of our cats having an epileptic fit at 1:30am and police snooping round the garden at 3:30am looking for some people (there's only us and our neighbours on our side of the road and we have a railway track and then the beach behind us) - I can only think some people were making their way down the track or something.. scary stuff, they had a dog too.

Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 20:19:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: BRAT/Web Page/Dave's Statement

David Gahan - Transcript of Davids' interview from outside the Los Angeles County Sheriff Department, after he was arrested for cocaine possession and being under the influence of herion, on May 28th, 1996.

"I'm a heroin addict, and, and I've been fighting to get off heroin - shut up Johnny(1)- and, um, for a year. I've been in rehab twice, and I don't wanna be like people like Kurt, that were (???)(2), and stuff like that. I wanna be a survivor.

I mean he died again last night. So, I'm not...I'm not...my cats' lives are out. I...I just wanna say sorry to all the fans and stuff, and uh, I'm glad to be alive, and sorry to me mum as well.

I just want them to know that it's not cool. It's not a cool thing to be an addict. It's not...you know, you're a slave to it, and it took...it's taken everything away from me that I loved, and so I'm got to rebuild my life."

(1) - David was telling Jonathon Kessler (DM management) to shup up. Jonathon was trying to get David to just get into the car, but it is obvious David wanted to convey his thoughts to the media.
(2) - I couldn't make out this word. I'm surprised I only had difficulty with one word.
(3) - This transcript was pieced together from broadcast footage from Los Angeles television stations KCAL (9), KTTV (11), KTLA (5), as well as MTV (which used footage from KCAL 9).

demoderus

Administrator
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 96 14:24:39 EST
To: Omid Tavallai
Subject: Some Dave News

Here's a news brief from today's NME.com:

"DEPECHE MODE singer DAVE GAHAN's court hearing concerned his alleged drug offences was postponed when the Los Angeles District Attorney office demanded a more in-depth police probe into the case. The hearing relates to an incident late last month when Gahan was arrested and charged with possesion of a controlled substance as he recovered from an overdose of heroin and cocaine. He was released on $10,000 bail and was due to appear at Los Angeles County Court on June 18."

"But a spokeswoman for the DA's office told NME the case file had been returned to the LA Sheriff's Department "pending further investigation." The spokeswoman said the delay was "not an uncommon occurence." The hearing has been re-scheduled for July 9. Meanwhile, a source close to Gahan says he is recovering in LA and is willingly attending a drug treatment programme."

I recall someone on the list mentioned that they saw a picture of Dave at the music industry conference about the drug problem among musicians. Does anyone have any information as to which magazine issue this was in?

--Noshin

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 16:18:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: BRAT/Another Dave thing

Again, from Reuters, and on my page...

LOS ANGELES (Reuter) - David Gahan, lead singer of the British rock band Depeche Mode, pleaded not guilty Tuesday to charges of possessing cocaine and being under the influence of the drug.

Gahan, a founding member of the techno group, was arrested in May after collapsing in a Hollywood hotel from an apparent drug overdose. He was treated at Cedars Sinai Medical Center.

Gahan, 34, who is free on $10,000 bail, entered his not guilty pleas to the two charges in Beverly Hills Municipal Court. He was ordered to return to court on July 30 to determine when a preliminary hearing will be held.

At the time of his arrest, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Lt. Steven Weisgarber said officers found a large quantity of what appeared to be cocaine in Gahan's hotel room.

Gahan told reporters shortly after his arrest that he was battling drug addiction and was getting professional help. He was hospitalized in Los Angeles last August after slashing his wrist with a razor blade.

BRAT - OnNow "Stupid Girl" Garbage (Tee's Freeze Club)

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 22:08:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: BRAT/Latest DAVE news

Here's the latest on Dave, from the Mute BBS, and also on my web page:

Dave appeared in court again on 30th July, and as we anticipated, he has been referred to the Probation Department, who will interview him regarding his enrollment in a Diversion Program. This will involve continued drug treatment for about a year, and as long as Dave completes his rehab, all charges against him will be dropped.

Meanwhile, Dave has also been in the studio in Los Angeles, working on his vocals, with Tim Simenon.

Martin has just returned from his holidays, and is getting back into some more song-writing before the Band go back into the studio at the end of August.

BRAT - Mr. moneymaker (got 2 editing gigs this week...I can smell the Honda)