Dave Gahan - Dave Gahan (Q&A) (Metro, 2003) | dmremix.pro

Dave Gahan Dave Gahan (Q&A) (Metro, 2003)

demoderus

Administrator
Dave Gahan (Q&A)
[Metro, 27th October 2003. Words: Rob Haynes. Picture: Uncredited.]
Mini-interview with Dave on the day of his performance in Manchester on the third leg of the Paper Monsters tour. Dave's (and the fans') reservations about the future of the band come across more strongly in this interview, which doesn't end on an optimistic note.
" A lot of the hardcore have turned their back on me, and I knew that would happen, but there's nothing I can do about that. I have to do what I feel's right in my heart."
met271003_1.jpg
Since 1980, Dave Gahan has experience stadium-filling highs and drug addicted lows as the voice of Depeche Mode. With the electro rockers currently on indefinite hiatus, Gahan has released his first solo record, the more rock-influenced Paper Monsters.

How does it feel being a solo artist after all this time?

- It feels good. It wasn't something that came easy in terms of getting the support of the record company. Whenever someone's doing something that involves change, it's hard for people to swallow. For me, I needed to do something that was challenging again.

And you weren't fulfilled in Depeche Mode?

- I felt like I was a little bit cramped and couldn't do the stuff that I wanted to do - or at least the ideas I was presenting were not being entertained. It was obviously time to try something else.

The Depeche Mode message boards are fizzing with what this all means.

- It's unbelievable. The obsession sometimes gets a bit crazy. It's definitely divided a lot of fans. A lot of the hardcore have turned their back on me, and I knew that would happen, but there's nothing I can do about that. I have to do what I feel's right in my heart.

Do you play any old songs?

- Sometimes at the end of the set we come back on and do an acoustic set. We perform DM songs with a harmonium and a stand-up bass. It's cool.

You've written a couple of songs that refer to your hedonistic past.

- At that time in my life I wanted to hide, but I wasn't really aware of it. I've reflected on that, but I'm really poking fun at the idea of the rock star - the indulgence of it. It gets to the point where it's really old but, unfortunately, I got to a place where I couldn't really turn around and walk out. You can call that naive but I chose to use it to be a better person today - a better father, a better husband.

And will there be another Depeche Mode record after this?

- I know that I'm writing new songs, working with new musicians. I'm open to that, and if there's to be another DM record, Martin [Gore] would have to be open to it as well. If he's not prepared to work as a team, I can't see that there's any point.

Tonight, Apollo, Stockport Road, Ardwick Green, Ardwick, 7.30pm, £18.50. Tel: 0870 401 8000. davegahan.com

Last edited: