Depeche Mode - Essex Appeal (Record Mirror, 1982) | dmremix.pro

Depeche Mode Essex Appeal (Record Mirror, 1982)

demoderus

Administrator
Essex Appeal
[Record Mirror, 21st August 1982. Words: Simon Tebbutt. Pictures: Eugene Adebari.]
Brief but fairly analytical look at the progress of the band from "Speak And Spell"'s poppiness to the more thoughtful themes of "A Broken Frame". The band talk about the effects that daily life and touring are having on them in an article that is admirably low on the cute factor. Not an 'all-rounder' but a better article for this year.
" ‘You read in all the gossip columns that so and so was seen here, there and everywhere. At the end of the day we feel whacked. We couldn’t go out. Even when we’re not recording, we’re rehearsing.' "
Summary: Brief but fairly analytical look at the progress of the band from "Speak And Spell"'s poppiness to the more thoughtful themes of "A Broken Frame". The band talk about the effects that daily life and touring are having on them in an article that is admirably low on the cute factor. Not an 'all-rounder' but a better article for this year. [1304 words]
rmi210882_1.jpgrmi210882_2.jpg
ESSEX APPEAL

At last, I can exclusively reveal the truth about the famous Blancmange versus Depeche Mode swimming contest.

Blancmange won the battle but Depeche Mode won the war.

Mystified readers might recall last week’s Blancmange feature in this very rag where the electronic duo, who’ve been supporting Depeche Mode on tour, claimed to have beaten the Basildon boys fair and square during a swimming race in Jersey. Here’s the Mode side of the tale.

‘Nah, they didn’t win,’ they all scoff in unison. ‘Well, they won the swimming…’ ‘That was only because I got cramp,’ protests Andy Fletcher, the tall goodlooking one with the spiky fair hair.

‘No, you didn’t,’ corrects singer Dave Gahan, the almost as tall goodlooking one with the dark hair. ‘You just dived in and because everyone was in front of you thought, ah I’ve got cramp.

‘But after the swimming,’ he continues, ‘everyone was in the pool with dinghies. It was like an Armada, and we had a battle against Blancmange in which we had to try and turn each other over. We beat them loads of times.’ [1]

So now we know. But enough of these fripperies. Depeche Mode, now shrunk to a three piece since the departure of Vince Clarke to Yazoo type pastures, have been busy these past few months down in the depths of London Bridge with maestro Daniel Miller recording a new album and single in a studio that’s a converted church.

‘It’s a really strange place,’ says Dave. ‘There’s a statue of Christ on the cross that someone’s painted with blood outside in the garden. We had a load of photos down there, but none of those came out. It’s really weird.’

Curiouser and curiouser. Still that hasn’t stopped the lads taking the train down from Essex every morning and getting down to work. And after a hearty and affable, if somewhat greasy, breakfast in the café across the road, we settle down to the business of discussing exactly what they’ve been up to.

‘Well, we’ve done eight tracks now and we’re in the middle of the ninth with one more to go,’ explains Dave, who doubles up with Andy as band spokesman most of the time, while Martin Gore – that’s the slightly smaller one with the fluffy blonde hair who writes the songs – comes in when he feels he’s needed. ‘We’ve done the new single, ‘Leave In Silence’ which we’re very pleased with.’

‘It’s getting away from dance music,’ says Martin feeling needed. ‘It’s not that you can’t dance to it – it’s just that the charts are getting too dance orientated. Our publishers advise us to write dance hits. In America they tell us we won’t have a hit if we don’t do a dance number, because the only way they can break a record through there is through the discos.’

‘Whereas the stuff on the last album was Euro macho dance music really, beaty synthesizer music, this album’s a lot weightier. It’s got a lot more in it,’ Dave elaborates.

‘There are real extremes. We’ve only got working titles at the moment, ‘Meaning Of Love’, ‘Photo You’ and ‘You Shouldn’t Have Done That’ [2], which is like a nursery rhyme, a folky old English song with four harmonies all working together. A bit of a monk’s chant.’

demoderus

Administrator
Nice clean lads, but not in the phoney Osmonds denture cream advertisement way. Depeche Mode don’t seem unduly affected by Vince Clarke’s departure. He penned last year’s smash ‘New Life’ before leaving.

When Depeche Mode tell you they’re happy for the success of his duo, Yazoo, you believe them.

‘We’re really pleased, especially for Alison,’ says Andy. ‘She’s got a great voice. Martin was at school with her and we’ve known her for ages. She’s been working hard for years. A long time before we started.’

‘I used to go and see her when she was in a band called the Vicars,’ says Dave. ‘They were a rhythm and blues punky band. And now she’s got the break she needed. We still see Vince quite a lot. He pops in when we’re recording.’

‘But we don’t go out with him,’ adds Martin. ‘We don’t get the time. We don’t go out with anybody.’

‘We don’t see main groups socially really,’ says Dave, ‘Soft Cell we see occasionally. And ABC. Steve tried to get me to go out with him and Marc one night. He said, Soft Cell and Depeche Mode have got this barrier. Come out with me and Marc. But I was too tired.’

‘Sometimes we wonder how bands do it,’ says Andy. ‘You read in all the gossip columns that so and so was seen here, there and everywhere. At the end of the day we feel whacked. We couldn’t go out. Even when we’re not recording, we’re rehearsing. We’ve lost a lot of friends that we used to go out with. You lose touch. [3]

‘When we first started, it was our friends who helped a lot. We had a big local following. I think they still like us.’

‘You know who your real friends are though,’ adds Dave. ‘They haven’t changed from the beginning. You know when you talk to them and when you’re out with them, they don’t see you as a different person.

‘But then you get some of them who weren’t really your proper friends when you began and then they become your real big friends when you’re successful.’

‘I think there were about 10,000 people who used to go to school with you,’ Andy tells him.

‘Yeah, the class must have about 1,000 people in it according to some people,’ laughs Dave. ‘There were only 40. You think you’re going mad when people say they were at school with you and you can’t remember them.’

Ah, the price of fame that brings out not only the adulation in some, but the mindless aggression in others. Have Depeche Mode fallen foul to much of this?

‘People are quite friendly in Basildon,’ [4] answers Dave, ‘but we’ve had a few hassles on the train,’ says Andy. ‘We had a big bunch of commuters. There was a bit of trouble with some bloke recently. But I don’t think he knew who we were. He just didn’t like the look of us.’

‘A lot of people are surprised to meet you on the train,’ says Andy. ‘We had a big bunch of kids jump in our carriage the other day and someone says ooh, it’s Depeche Mode and someone else says no, it isn’t. But they all get in and you have a nice chat.’

‘Recently we’ve had a lot of letters,’ says Dave. ‘At one point it seemed to be just girls, but now it’s evened out. Now we seem to be getting a lot of letters from blokes as well.’

“It’s a healthy sign really,” adds Andy, “because we want to get away from the teenybop image.”

“We’re growing up and we want our fans to grow up with us,” says Dave.

Like most of their contemporaries, Depeche Mode started off firmly in the pretty boy pop tradition, but as the others develop a certain musical credibility, they obviously don’t want to become just pretty faces left behind. So if they pushed, where would they bracket themselves?

“It’s much better that people associate us with the Human League and Soft Cell rather than Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet,” admits Dave. “I hope gradually people will stop associating us with others and we will get our own name and identity.”

And that’s just what Depeche Mode are getting, if the sounds Daniel Miller has been twiddling around with in the studio while we’ve been talking are anything to go by. A new single and album followed by a nationwide tour in October, I predict a lease of new life for Depeche Mode in 1982.

[1] - This is exactly the kind of barminess that ensues whenever Depeche Mode tour. In 1987/8 they went so far as to take a full set of cricketing equipment on tour with them and proceeded to thrash the support act OMD. And a table football game has been a regular piece of essential equipment at least as far back as the Devotional tour of 1993/4.
[2] - The songs became (for those new to the band) "A Photograph Of You" and "Shouldn't Have Done That". What is confusing though is to see "Meaning Of Love" referred to as a "working title", as it had been released as a single four months previously.
[3] - Reading this here, so early on in their career, is quite sobering, not least because it recalls a scene in the film "101" from 1988. Dave is preparing for a show and reflecting on the fact that he was in many ways happier stacking shelves in a supermarket, because although he might get a lot more money as a pop star he had lost touch with most of his friends. It's easy to scoff when the celebrities say "Money doesn't buy you happiness", but sometimes you have to have the money first to realise how true that is.
[4] - Actually I would like to second that. The number of articles I have on here that poke fun at Basildon are too many to count, yet I doubt that in many of the instances the author has even been there. I spent a long weekend there for a Depeche Mode convention at Easter 2004 and we were all struck by the friendliness of everyone we spoke to. The cabbies were a cut above ("Cam 'ere dahlin', let me give yer an 'and wiv yer... GOR! Bladdy 'ell! Wotcher got in there then eh? Yoo bin stealing the 'otel taahls aincha!"), a restaurant waitress treated us like the only customer she had, the staff of an opticians' were the same with my friend who had an emergency with her contact lenses, and one of the assistants in Marks and Sparks turned the shop upside down for me when I just casually asked if they did cream soda. Right down to the people we found ourselves queueing next to in shops, we were so impressed that we dropped a line to the Basildon Evening Echo thanking everyone for making us so welcome.

demoderus

Administrator
Record Mirror
Date: August 1982
Description: 21 aout 1982
Pays: Royaume-Uni

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg