Depeche Mode - Home (Jaakko Suominen, 1997) | dmremix.pro

Depeche Mode Home (Jaakko Suominen, 1997)

demoderus

Administrator
Home (Jaakko Suominen, 1997)

DEPECHE MODE: HOME​

Home is Depeche Mode's third single from "Ultra" album and here's my little review about it:
DM HOME single review by me 14.6.1997
DESPERATE BEATS?
Jaakko's HOME review after listening everything three times (14th June 1997)

CD BONG 27

1) HOME
Produced by - Tim Simenon. Mixed by Tim Simenon & Q.
Recorded at - Eastcote & Westside Studios, London.
Mixed at - Abbey Road, London.

Well, you know what this is like, if you have listened "Ultra" album: a very beautiful song sung by Martin (although whatever they write in certain magazines :)). Great lyrics, lots of strings. Instrumental part and sounds in general are like in Massive Attack productions. There are some similarities also with this and Tim Simenon's own Bomb the Bass stuff.
Points (of five): *****

2) HOME Air "Around The Golf" Remix.
Arranged & produced by - JB Duckel & Nicholas Godin.
Mixed by - Stephane "Alf" Briat at Plus XXX, Paris.

This is very smooth version. "Coconut" beats combined with a slowly threatening athmosphere: like you would be in a sailboat anchored on the Caribbean Sea and notice that the temperature is getting down little by little and everything seems to be too calm - like before a terrible thunderstorm...

3) HOME LFO Meant to Be.
Remixed by - LFO.

One of my favourite synth composer is Vangelis. Some sounds on this remix remind me his early productions, songs like Spiral, Alpha and Albedo 0.39 from 1970's. Martin's voice is little bit disorted on this mix, but it's ok. Bassline is fine too. Quite ambient version indeed.

4) HOME The Noodles & The Damage Done.
Remix & additional production by - Skylab. Drums - Shino.
Engineered by - Sie Medway-Smith. Recorded and mixed at - Milo Studios, London 1997.
Can you imagine, what it could be like if Lenny Kraviz has done Home? Well, this is somehow like it - very rocky and groovy. But hmmm, Martin doesn't Rock or Roll, how disorted the voice has been produced or not. This could be great, if somebody other sings the song and the sounds could be much more raw and dirty. However, drums are cool!

demoderus

Administrator
LCD BOBG 27.

1) HOME Jedi Knights Remix (Drowning in Time).
Pure remix science by - the Jedi Knights using the dark side of the funk.
Drowning...in...Time..........Drowning...in...Time....... Hippy, hoppy and trendy, cavalcade of rythms'n drums'n basses - but where's Home? Drowned it Time perhaps.
House points: ****
HOME points: **

2) HOME Grantby Mix
Remix & additional production by - Dan Grigson, courtesy of Creation Records.
Recorded at - Worldwide International Studios. Engineered by - Tony Salter.
Previous remix suffered of the lack of Martin (or maybe not :)), but this could be better with less Mart. Strings are on the main role on this mix and they should have been even more powerful. I would have liked this more if the version had had a long string intro before Martin jumped on the stage. That kind of version should have been more dynamic. Not bad, but I'm sure yet if I like this or not.

3) BARREL OF A GUN Live.
Tracks three & four recorded at - Adrenalin Village on 10th April 1997.
Additional musicians - Dave Clayton, Keyboards, & Christian Eigner, Drums.
Engineered by - Will Shapland.
Recorded by - Manor Mobile Studios. Mixed by - Q Engstrom at Air Studios.
Live sequencing by - Kerry Hopwood.
This live version is little bit different than the studio version, suprise suprise. I like the guitar. Dave could be, somehow, hmmm, "brisker" or something :)
Stimulativeness points: ***
Points in general: ****

4) IT'S NO GOOD Live.
This is a good live version too. Guitar and drums sounds great and Dave is more "Dave-on-the-stage" on this.
Martin's hair: **
Points in general: ****

THE SINGLES IN GENERAL

Package and artwork:
I don't like these upsidedown cases, because I get confused :)) Artwork is ok in the CD-version (Anton's daughter's painting etc.), but I don't like LCD, which is not very special.
Remixes and other tracks:
The singles are very good collections of different types tracks, but perhaps something is missing. It would have been nice to hear HOME remix by Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead - or HOME featuring Skunk Anansie like on Bjork's ^NArmy of Me' single.
© Jaakko Suominen 1997
Accessed: since 14.6.1997.

demoderus

Administrator
THE SINGLES IN GENERAL

Package and artwork:
I don't like these upsidedown cases, because I get confused :)) Artwork is ok in the CD-version (Anton's daughter's painting etc.), but I don't like LCD, which is not very special.
Remixes and other tracks:
The singles are very good collections of different types tracks, but perhaps something is missing. It would have been nice to hear HOME remix by Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead - or HOME featuring Skunk Anansie like on Bjork's ^NArmy of Me' single.

© Jaakko Suominen (jaakko@tuug.org) 1997
Accessed: since 14.6.1997.