Depeche Mode - Mode in Britain (Hot Tickets, 2001) | dmremix.pro

Depeche Mode Mode in Britain (Hot Tickets, 2001)

demoderus

Administrator
Mode in Britain
[Hot Tickets, 12th-18th October 2001. Words: Andrew Panos. Pictures: Anton Corbijn / Tibor Illyes.]
Basic article in a London entertainment guide giving an introduction to Depeche Mode for the casual reader. It gives an overview of their career while Dave and Andy reflect on their success in America and relative misconception in the UK. Simple, but notably balanced in tone.
" Happily, the band have never dwelt much on perception and their detractors are probably the same punters paying for the Eighties reunion tour this Christmas featuring T’Pau, Heaven 17, The Human League, Paul Young and Kim Wilde. Sadly, the skewed perception of the band is one shared by Radio 1, who have refused to playlist singles from the band’s last two albums, Ultra and Exciter. "
htk121001_c.jpghtk121001_1.jpghtk121001_2.jpg
“Who fancies the absinthe bar? No, not again. Let’s go lap-dancing instead.” It’s 2am in the hot and humid French quarter of New Orleans and 20 friends of Depeche Mode’s keyboardist, Andy “Fletch” Fletcher, are debating how to continue the star’s 40th birthday celebrations. “This is a difficult place to relax,” says Fletch as he contemplates prolonging an evening that began four hours earlier in a restaurant with the Mode’s Martin Gore serving up dessert with an impromptu stage performance of Mode classics, country & western style. [1]

In the 19th century, the port of New Orleans served as a haunt for smugglers, gamblers, prostitutes and pirates, giving it the “sin city” notoriety that keeps it today. Perfect, then, for a band that built the latter half of their career on a series of finely crafted, dark pop odes to decadence and hedonism. After all, the Mode have a week to kill in the middle of a US tour and we’re here to party.

Inside the upmarket lapdancing bar, Rick’s Place, there’s a ripple of excitement as the staff realise that the Mode (minus frontman Dave Gahan, who is safely tucked up in bed) are in the house. There’s one small problem though. Rocker Lenny Kravitz happens to be inside and he’s seated in the Mode’s designated area. He is despatched by assembled barmen and doesn’t kick up a fuss. “Ah, he’s always in here,” says one topless waitress, dismissively. The ever-generous Fletch, who has kept in touch with many of his Essex friends from his pre-fame days, pays for drinks and dances, as his former Basildon cohorts stare goggle-eyed at the proceedings. One girl informs us that tonight, in honour of the band, she’ll be changing her routine and dancing to a Mode track.

The Mode, you see, carry clout in the States and not just in the nation’s lapdancing bars. They’ve sold 30 million albums in the US (50 million worldwide) and the 33-date American leg of their Exciter Tour has been a sell-out. Together with U2, the band’s tour is second only to boyband ’Nsync in highest grossing US gate receipts. In 16 hours the band will play the New Orleans leg of the tour at the city’s Lakefront Arena. This week the tour hits London’s Wembley Arena, the triumphant final dates of the five-month haul.

Depeche Mode have cracked the States where Oasis, Robbie Williams and countless other Brit acts since The Beatles have failed. They’ve survived line-up changes (the departures of Vince Clarke in 1981 and Alan Wilder in 1995), overdoses and fights, yet many casual observers would struggle to name the band’s three members – Martin Gore, Dave Gahan and Andy Fletcher. “We’d hate to be hassled in the street anyway,” says Fletch. “That’s like being in prison. We’re the biggest cult band in the world and that’s how we like it.” [2] Not bad for a bunch of Essex mates that once worked in dead-end clerical jobs. So, how did they do it?

“It’s a lot of hard work. You have to be committed and really want it,” says a lean and bright-eyed Dave Gahan backstage at the Lakefront Arena, some 12 hours later. Gahan is friendly, charming and looking fitter than ever. These days the non-chemically enhanced singer tends to skip the after-show parties that might lead to “temptation”, opting to hang out with a couple of friends whom he brings on tour with him, and to pursue a “vaguely strict” exercise regime. The only marks of his former rock’n’roll decadence are a heavily tattooed torso that bears traces of scar tissue from needle injections during his days of heroin abuse. Once upon a time Gahan may have embraced the party spirit of New Orleans, but these days his superstitions stretch to nothing more than a Madonna-like pre-gig, motivational band huddle and a herbal tea.

“It’s a big country and you have to be able to play live,” continues Gahan, relaxing on a couch. “US audiences appreciate a good live band. You have to be patient. The first couple of US tours we did in ’82 and ’83 were a disaster. We were playing toilets in Texas behind barbed wire and audiences would pelt us with beer bottles. After our second tour we said we’re never going back. A lot of bands just give up.”

“When we did go back in 1985 the timing just seemed to be right,” adds a remarkably chipper-looking Fletch, joining us backstage after the previous night’s entertainment. “There was a new audience wanting to hear something different from American stadium rock. I don’t know how we did it, except for releasing consistently good records and sounding different to anyone else.”

“Bands like Travis have a good chance of cracking the States because they’re a good live band. Oasis have tried a few times. They’re a great band but you need to do more than get your picture on the front of The Sun to have a hit record,” he adds, slyly alluding to Liam Gallagher’s headline-grabbing shenanigans.

[1] - Martin has a bit of a habit of this - try this article where he's at it again. There's even a bootleg in existence of an impromptu piano session in a Cologne hotel bar during the Singles 86>98 tour.

Please Login or Register to view hidden text.

[2] - The band have an uncanny knack of not being recognised, this article elaborates on that aspect of Depeche Mode.

Please Login or Register to view hidden text.

Last edited:

demoderus

Administrator
Depeche Mode released their first single, “Dreaming Of Me” in 1981. Twenty years and 16 albums later, they’re still here – a testament not just to their knack of producing finely crafted synth-pop, but also to the army of psychologists and paramedics who’ve saved the band from breakdowns and near-death experiences. [3] You want rock’n’roll excess? The Mode have done it all. Now, the Mode may be, as Gahan explains, “at the top of our game” as they travel to gigs in their 39-seater private jet, but as Fame’s dance teacher, Debbie Allen, once stated, “Fame costs…” and the Mode have certainly paid…

Five years ago, Dave Gahan collapsed from a heroin and cocaine “speedball” overdose at the Los Angeles Sunset Marquis hotel. Doctors there had nicknamed him The Cat for his remarkable ability to cheat death, but on this occasion, he was pronounced dead for two minutes. “I don’t remember much about it. I remember thinking in that moment that I didn’t want to die,” says Gahan. “It gave me a new perspective on how precious life is. I think I took life for granted. I got myself in a rut and couldn’t get out of it. I don’t condone it but I’d never tell people now not to take drugs. If people want to use drugs then that’s their choice,” says Gahan. “For me, it wasn’t working any more. It wasn’t doing what it did for me in the first place, but it was difficult to stop. I had become thoroughly miserable but, fortunately, I didn’t pop it and I’m here to tell the story.”

In the US Gahan’s near-death experience only seemed to enhance his rock god status. Over here Gahan is mentioned in the same breath as his friend and contemporary, Bono of U2. “We’ve swapped stage moves. I’ve stolen some from him, he’s stolen some from me,” says Gahan. “We take the piss out of each other. U2 are awesome – one of the few live bands you can watch and go away feeling you’ve experienced something.”

British audiences have always found it difficult to shake off the image of the Mode as well-preened, polite, New Romantic synth fops, making their transition to the late Eighties, all-conquering, s/m-loving rock Goths even harder to take. Maybe it was Martin’s black PVC body-stocking. Happily, the band have never dwelt much on perception and their detractors are probably the same punters paying for the Eighties reunion tour this Christmas featuring T’Pau, Heaven 17, The Human League, Paul Young and Kim Wilde. Sadly, the skewed perception of the band is one shared by Radio 1, who have refused to playlist singles from the band’s last two albums, Ultra and Exciter. “Yeah, Radio 1 have decided we’re not relevant,” spits Gahan. “Aren’t they supposed to reflect public taste? It’s ludicrous. In Britain, if Radio 1 don’t play you then you don’t have a hit, but in America there are so many different stations to get your music heard – alternative, rock, country, soul, dance. Well, f**k the BBC. Who cares?” says Gahan.

“Depeche Mode live and on record are two totally different experiences.” Watching Gahan later that night, it’s true. Live, the Mode come across as the ultimate rock’n’roll band with Gahan playing to the crowd, appropriating elements of Mick Jagger’s preening and James Brown’s soul searching as he manhandles the mike stand and falls to his knees. He leads the crowd in fist-clenching celebrations during “Black Celebration”, “Enjoy The Silence” and “Personal Jesus”.

Even as the band’s personal and professional problems took hold in the early Nineties, they somehow produced their best work with the albums Violator and Songs Of Faith And Devotion. Gahan’s overdose in 1996 forced them to reassess their situation. “We weren’t getting on as a band or as people,” says Fletch. “Although we didn’t want to split up we just couldn’t see any way of carrying on. It wasn’t just Dave, it was all of us.” These days, the band are getting on better than ever. “It’s a bizarre situation for Depeche Mode to be happy,” says Fletch. “But as a band I think we’re getting along great and sounding better than ever, especially live.”

Gahan may be planning a solo album, but it seems an extension of his creative juices, where once it may have been seen as a threat. “It should be out next year,” he explains. “I’d love to do a duet with P. J. Harvey or Björk. P. J. Harvey has such a distinctive voice and Björk I think is amazing. The songs on my solo album reflect where I am right now.” And where’s that? “I’m in the best place I’ve ever been in my life,” says the singer, who lives in new York’s Greenwich Village with his third wife Jennifer and his second child, baby Stella. “Do I regret anything? No, because it’s brought me to where I am today. It’s all part of the big journey, the big picture, whatever that is.”

Would Gahan object to his son Jack, 11, becoming a rock star? [4] “I wouldn’t stop him, but I’d certainly discourage him a little bit,” he says with a wink as he gets up to prepare for tonight’s show. “This isn’t as easy as it looks…”

[3] - The entourage of the Devotional Tour in 1993/4 included both a drug dealer and a psychiatrist, nominally to assist Dave. As it turned out, Dave preferred the dealer's "assistance" and the psychiatrist was sent home early. On the Exciter Tour, the band employed a masseuse instead.
[4] - Just for the record, Jack would actually have been turning 14 the week this magazine appeared.

demoderus

Administrator
Hot Tickets
Date: octobre 2001
Pays: Royaume-Uni

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 77