Depeche Mode - No Time To Even Think (New Sounds New Styles, 1982) | dmremix.pro

Depeche Mode No Time To Even Think (New Sounds New Styles, 1982)

demoderus

Administrator
No Time To Even Think
[New Sounds New Styles, March 1982. Words: Mike Stand. Pictures: Iain McKell.]
Detailed and probing article, refreshingly free of the usual "aah! Aren't they sweet!" blather often found in this era, catching the band on the edge between novelty and fame. The band discuss intelligently how not only the loss of Vince but their success in general has forced them to rearrange their lives and the workings of the band - not without its downsides. Decidedly better than average.
" Of course, Alan will only experience the second phase of fame. For the others the helter-skelter force of change can’t be overlooked and mostly they don’t like what they see. There is the possibility that they will never be happier than they were last summer travelling to gigs on the train with their synthesisers tucked underneath their arms and making a decent living out of £250 a night including all their costs. "
Summary: Detailed and probing article, refreshingly free of the usual "aah! Aren't they sweet!" blather often found in this era, catching the band on the edge between novelty and fame. The band discuss intelligently how not only the loss of Vince but their success in general has forced them to rearrange their lives and the workings of the band - not without its downsides. Decidedly better than average. [2244 words]
nws010382_c.jpg
NO TIME TO EVEN THINK

Mike Stand meets Britain’s brightest, youngest, most successful independent popsters to discuss Vince, fame, songwriting, money and flexible response under stress. Photography by Iain McKell.

“Hello Martin,” I said to the spikey redhead peering round the door.

“Andy,” said Andy, smiling nonetheless.

I abandoned the cup of well-stewed tea I’d been contemplating while I waited for Depeche Mode’s return from some location snaps and we walked round the corner to Iain McKell’s studio to do some fast talking before they caught the 5.30 from Fenchurch Street home to Basildon to watch themselves at 6.30 on Southern TV (which you can’t pick up in London). Timetables and schedules are a big part of their lives these days.

Andy Fletcher muttered on a bit about how difficult it had been not to look Bleak and Industrial, the loathed antitheses of Depeche’s Mode, while posing around the scruffy old district of Shoreditch – and at the same time how difficult it was to smile naturally. [1]

Then, in the Depeche East of London twang, he asked, “Are you going to talk to Vince too?” and the interview had begun. Very direct in their mild way, these Depeches. They let you know what’s on their minds.

Vince was the blond one with the face that came out all white in pictures – no lines, no shadows, a spectral presence – to the camera’s eye, he all but disappeared. An appealing symbol. I suggested to the others that their former colleague might be shaping up as another Syd Barrett.

“Who?” they said, and having exposed my generation gap I shan’t trouble you with a lengthy history of Pink Floyd either.

Well then, to abstract it, wouldn’t they agree that young Vince is an intriguing enigma? “No, he ain’t that interesting,” said Andy and oddly enough he didn’t seem to mean it as a put-down. Martin Gore tried to enlarge, “He presents you with riddles, things you can’t explain.”

Andy: “The impression he likes to give is that no-one knows him.”

Dave Gahan: “We thought we knew him, but we discovered we didn’t.”

So you see Vince isn’t an enigma, it’s just that nobody understands him. Take one of those blonded-out photos of him, paint it over in gray and the colourful truth will emerge (a riddle).

The news stories said that Vince had quit because he didn’t like the single / album / tour business process, but that he would continue to write for the band. As you might imagine, that doesn’t tell it all from the other three’s point of view.

Andy: “Vince always wanted to do a lot in the studio and the rest of us would feel restricted. If we had an idea we’d be frightened to say anything.”

“No, not frightened,” Dave insisted. “We were uncomfortable.”

Presumably Vince was uncomfortable too when the responsibility of achievement in writing the three escalating Depeche hits – and all of “Speak And Spell” apart from “Tora! Tora! Tora!” and “Big Muff” – bore down on him. He became a “recluse” within the group, they say. They anticipated his leaving and prepared for it some six weeks before he told them, so the effect wasn’t as devastating as outsiders might have thought.

I said it was nice that he’d done the honourable thing by staying on until the end of their last national tour, but they were ready with another shade of grey: Vince had been promoting his own publishing royalties on the LP too. [2]

Dave, Andy and Martin accept that they have “a lot to prove” in absence of Vince and they have set about providing the evidence. Exhibit A is four tracks written by Martin and leading off with Depeche’s new single, “See You”, which should be on the airwaves as you read nsnS.

Martin – he of the face so gentle that snowbound farmers could employ him to melt the blizzard and save their flocks – thought the difference wouldn’t be noticed so much in the sound as in the lyrics. “Vince was more interested in the flow of the words and rhymes than in the meaning,” he said. “I care a lot about what I’m saying. If I had a good tune and I didn’t like the lyrics, I’d drop the song.”

Quietly expressed, but an astonishing priority for a popster. Seeking a soupcon sample of what he was on about I asked for a quote or two: “The middle eight goes ‘Well I know that five years is a long tome and that times change / But I think you’ll find people are basically the same’.” I think I looked blank and the other two urged him to give me more. They could see it wouldn’t mean a light to me or anyone else as it stood, but Martin refused.

“It’s good,” he said. “Serious. But funny. I like it because those words aren’t used much in songs. It’s just the things people say. I can’t tell the story behind it. It’s private. I wrote it when I was 18.”

So we didn’t get anywhere on that one. However, it was clear that Martin had earned quite enough of their faith to shuffle Vince down the composers’ queue despite earlier announcements.

Martin: “We don’t have any contact with him now except through other people. He may be writing for us, we don’t know. We have to treat him as “another songwriter” now.” [3]

For his part Vince has amiably sent a message through that he thinks “See You” is the best single Depeche Mode have ever done. It’s assumed that he’s working on his own Mute debut featuring a lady R&B singer from Basildon called Alf. Very likely his association with the group is over.

On stage only, for the present, their new man is Alan Wilder of Hampstead. They say he’s a good musician, though they’re not certain that’s what they needed. He played his first gig at the old Modish haunt Rayleigh Crocs in January and was somewhat shaken by the mayhem surrounding Depeche as crushed kids in the front row were plucked out of their very shoes to save them from sever damage.

Of course, Alan will only experience the second phase of fame. For the others the helter-skelter force of change can’t be overlooked and mostly they don’t like what they see. There is the possibility that they will never be happier than they were last summer travelling to gigs on the train with their synthesisers tucked underneath their arms and making a decent living out of £250 a night including all their costs. Now they are big business.

Having settled for Daniel Miller’s offer of a 50/50 profit-sharing deal rather than the massive advance / low royalty set-up the major labels stick to, they are taking home cheques for thousands of pounds earned by their hits. But expenses have multiplied so that cash doesn’t burden their pockets for long. For instance, they were guaranteed £22,000 for their 10-date February British tour (more, now that Hammersmith Odeon has sold out giving them £5,000 for one show) – and they’d spent every penny on equipment, lights, travel and hotels before they set one foot on “the road”. It’s a far cry, etc…

Attachments

• nws010382_1.jpg
    nws010382_1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 77
  • nws010382_2.jpg
    nws010382_2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 71
  • nws010382_3.jpg
    nws010382_3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 76
  • nws010382_4.jpg
    nws010382_4.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

demoderus

Administrator
And they regret:

How their audience has ceased to listen. “Even when you make a lot of mistakes and think you’ve been terrible they don’t seem to care,” said Andy. “They don’t come up and say ‘Great gig’ any more either. The music aspect has gone. At Crocs they didn’t even clap for us to come back, just stood there and waited. All they want to do is watch you. We’ve become an event.”

And these days their faithful “Basildon Patriots” whoop it up for them as if they were a soccer team. Not really the Depeche style, grateful as the band are for their support.

That they’ve lost their “portability” which often saw them taking the same train home as their fans. No more bug-eyed recognition and “Cor blimey, it’s them!”

That time is tight. Martin: “Last summer we could sort things out from week to week. It’s horrible now to look in your diary and see that every day for the next six months is planned.” Andy: “No time to even think! What’s happened is we’ve become more and more busy and less and less involved with all the small decisions which affect us. When you’ve got enough money you end up giving it to someone else and saying ‘Do this for us’.”

That their independent-label idea has been compromised by their international deals – especially a five-album contract in America with Sire, a branch of Warners. It’s true that there isn’t a nationwide Indie distribution network over there, so their options were to take it or leave it. But every complication seems to weaken the band’s position as people, although it may strengthen Depeche Mode as a brand name. Sharp as they are, they’re beginning to get confused.

Dave: “We still haven’t signed a formal contract with Mute.”

Martin: “I think we did when we accepted the deal with Sire through Mute.”

Dave: “No, we didn’t. Did we?”

Andy: “This sort of thing is what we used to be really up on!”

As former bank and insurance clerks respectively neither Martin nor Andy are daft about figures, but it’s all well outside their range now. They have to place their complete trust in Mute boss Daniel Miller and their publisher, Rod Buckle of Sonet. Only those two weathered backwoodmen stand between them and the wolf pack.

With slightly forlorn humour they spoke about putting their money into something more permanent, namely houses. Andy: “It’s the sensible thing to do isn’t it?” Martin: “Everybody advises us to do it – publishers, accountants – and who are we to argue? We’re only 20.”

They laughed heartily, just to remind all concerned that success isn’t a total downer. It’s no wonder the hard-bitten burghers (hold the relish) of the music press have been so smitten with them, regarding Depeche with the same simple enthusiasm as their most doting fans.

“Hardly a bad write-up,” said Andy almost ruefully. “We’re always ‘cuddly’. They don’t take us as intelligent at all. They fix on our ‘naïve charm’. We’re not treated seriously,” Hang about though, are you sure you want to be?

Pause.

“Dunno really,” he said finally.

The paradox is that by such open uncertainty they only increase their reputation for candour, charm, cuddliness and so on. For example, as a little journalistic provocation I told them that because they’re only 20 it’s automatically assumed they haven’t “lived” and Andy said: “We haven’t! We haven’t experienced much of life. We haven’t travelled much outside Basildon. It’s weird meeting these people in the business who are older than us and have all their stories to tell. I’m just starting to live now, through being in a band.”

If there were momentous incidents in their youth they aren’t telling. The highlights seem to have been Andy and Vince’s annual pilgrimages to the Greenbelt Christian youth festival, usually with Cliff Richard topping the bill. Then they came of age to drink and the pub became the focus of their spiritual life. Meanwhile Martin was passing his A-levels, but turning down the chance to go to university because he didn’t feel ready to leave home.

Considering their seven-league strides in recent months it’s barely credible that their steps should have been so halting and timorous only a couple of years ago while they apparently prepared themselves for careers of mundane boredom mildly alleviated by moderate intakes of alcohol. But now it’s that domestic stability they’re having to struggle for.

No problem about staying on at their parents’ council houses, but Dave and Martin’s girlfriends, Jo and Anne, have borne the social brunt of Depeche’s violent change of status.

Dave: “It’s pretty hard for them. They see girls coming up to us all the time after gigs. Jo used to feel very uncomfortable with the rest of the band too, as if she was in the way. We thought it might split us up and we decided we had to do something about it.”

Jo gave up her job as a nurse to share running the fan club with Anne, who’d just left school. They go on tour too, very rare for band girlfriends, and help with the inevitable “merchandising”. For Depeche it’s a flexible response under stress, the sort of thing which hopefully will preserve them intact amid all the business machinations.

Although we closed on this rather personal topic, my last impression is of the strange setting in which we finished the interview, rather than what was being said. We were on the train to Basildon, talking across the aisle between the briefcases and brollies of sardined commuters. Gradually silence fell, as it tends to among British travellers, and there we were, our conversation naked to every ear.

Well, imagine hearing Parkinson doing a celebrity chat-up on your bus to work in the morning – the cogs of reality screeched!

Even my old-pro brain seized up so that all I could hear was the other passengers listening. But Dave Gahan talked on, easy and unselfconscious, not even lowering his voice, perfectly composed. Perhaps that naturalness is the crucial quality Depeche Mode have going for them. Now I understand why features about them start or end by calling them “the band it’s impossible to dislike”. But I wouldn’t dream of concluding on such a cliché, so I added another sentence.
[1] - And funnily enough all the samples for their most "bleak and industrial" album, Construction Time again, were to be made in sessions in the very same Shoreditch a year later.
[2] - I don't think this is meant to come across as bitter as it does, no more than Andy's foot-in-mouth a few moments before. "Just Can't Get Enough" was written by Vince and has been a firm favourite at live performances right up to Dave's Paper Monsters solo tour in 2003, so I doubt they grudge Vince his royalties.
[3] - Vince did actually offer "Only You" to Depeche Mode, but they turned it down. He later released it when he formed Yazoo with Alison Moyet, and it became their biggest hit. While there was some bitterness between the two camps, undoubtedly exacerbated by press, by no means had it set in at this point.

demoderus

Administrator
New Sounds New Styles
Date: March 1982
Pays: Royaume-Uni

Attachments

• 77a26c34d5b7c6d556530d3580984ce9.jpg
    77a26c34d5b7c6d556530d3580984ce9.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 82
  • ccs-2380-0-91374500-1370972923.jpg
    ccs-2380-0-91374500-1370972923.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 94