Depeche Mode Playing The Angel Press Release

demoderus

Administrator
Playing The Angel Press Release
[Mute Records, 2005. Words: Rob Kerford.]
ptapress_1.jpg

demoderus

Administrator
The promotional press release sent out for the "Playing The Angel" album in September / October 2005.
" We are all feeling incredibly positive about the album. Ben Hillier has brought a whole new dynamic to the group which is quite inspiring "

Depeche Mode return this winter with a brand new album “Playing The Angel” released 17th October. An astonishingly fresh and exuberant release, this album boasts a lyrical musical progression for the band as it marks the 25th anniversary of the band.

“Playing The Angel” was recorded in Santa Barbara, New York and London. It began recording in California, January 2005 with producer Ben Hillier (of Doves and Blur fame) at its epicentre. “We are all feeling incredibly positive about the album. Ben Hillier has brought a whole new dynamic to the group which is quite inspiring,” says Dave Gahan.

‘Precious’, the first single released October 3rd, is quintessential Mode – all cyber pulse and glorious chorus. ‘The Sinner In Me’ perfectly balances the organic and synthetic, and climaxes, as do most of the tracks, with staccato blasts of noise and FX. On ‘Suffer Well’ Dave’s voice is more powerful than ever. ‘Macrovision’, sung by Martin Gore, is hi-tech pop with an enormous hook while ‘John The Revelator’ is one of many potential hit singles.

“Playing The Angel” is the first album to feature Dave Gahan on composition credits – three of the tracks (‘I Want It All’, ‘Suffer Well’ and ‘Nothing’s Impossible’) were written by the singer. [1]

The full album tracklisting is: The Darkest Star, Macrovision, John The Revelator, I Want It All, The Sinner In Me, Precious, Suffer Well, A Pain That I’m Used To, Nothing’s Impossible, Damaged People, Lilian and Introspectre.

Depeche Mode recently announced their new world tour and will be the first act to play in the refurbished Wembley Arena. The dates are:

March
30th – MEN Arena, Manchester, Tel: 0870 400 0688
31st – Birmingham NEC, Tel: 0870 400 0688

April
2nd Wembley Arena, London, Tel: 0870 400 0688
3rd Wembley Arena, London, Tel: 0870 400 0688

[1] - Not to pee on Dave's bonfire unnecessarily, but the fact is that Dave was the co-writer of these tracks, along with Christian Eigner and Andrew Philpott.