Depeche Mode - 1981-11-10 Basildon | dmremix.pro

Depeche Mode 1981-11-10 Basildon

demoderus

Administrator
Tim Michael Williams, a Basildon photographer, says :
"First on the bill were 'Film Noir' from Basildon and this was their first live performance. 'Film Noir' included Robert Marlow and Perry Bamonte. [...] Film Noir played about 6 original songs this night while including a storming version of the 'Velvet Undergrounds' 'White Light, White Heat'. [...] When Depeche Mode finally came on stage at 10.00 pm the girls crammed against the safety barriers in front of the stage went wild. This was a new experience. [...]"
Robert Marlow remembered in Jonathan Miller's 'Stripped':
"It was quite funny , because Vince said to just ring up this promoter , who was a real cowboy of a fellow, and he said, 'They've already got Blancmange supporting them.' I said, 'But Vince said we can play ,' and he said, 'Well, you can play , but you won't get any money for it.' In the end, Vince gave me the money - 50 quid, it was. But that wasn't important; he'd asked us to play , so we went on before Blancmange, and then it was Depeche Mode. It was nice for me. I really enjoyed supporting them. I played guitar and we had a synthesizer player; Perry [Bamonte] was playing bass, and we had a tiny [Boss DR-55] 'Dr Rhythm' drum machine - one of the programmable ones. It was good; we went down well. Blancmange were excellent -I'd never seen them before; they were really , really good, and they were nice guys as well. The Modes were themselves, but Vince was quite withdrawn and not very happy . It was quite funny . Vince had a dose of diarrhoea! They'd been on tour up and down the country for a while, and so I think he was happy to be home. But I remember going around his flat during the day for a chat and he said , 'It's alright; I've been dosing myself up with syrup of figs. Silly arse."