Administrator
A Broken Frame Tour Programme
[1982. Words: Uncredited.]
prog82_1.jpg

demoderus

Administrator
From the A Broken Frame tour programme
[1982. Words: Uncredited.]

The written content of the 1982 programme: a short resume of the year so far and mini-autobiographies written by each band member. This is definitely the Mode as seen on Saturday morning kiddies' TV, sickly-sweet and at times unsure even of what to say about themselves. Cringe, cringe!

" When the chance came up in 1980 to join a band playing the sort of music I liked, I took it. And here I am today!"

Welcome to Depeche Mode's second full British tour this year. The tour coincides with the release of our second album titled 'A Broken Frame' the follow up to 'Speak And Spell'.

The new album and tour comes at the end of a year in which we have worked hard to establish ourselves not only in Britain but in other areas of the world as well.

We started the year off in the bitter cold of New York, where we played two nights at the Ritz. Fletch was lucky to come home unscathed as he was attacked by a fire hydrant. From the cold of America we went to the heat of Spain, where even at the beginning of March it was hot enough to sit in the sun.

We then took our coach on a little jaunt around Europe calling in at Stockholm, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Berlin and Paris. Then it was back home to record a new single before flying back out to America again. This was the first time any of us had been outside of New York. It was very exhausting flying every day but also very interesting to see the different parts of America and Canada.

Then it was holiday time; Dave went to Greece, Fletch was off to Corfu, and Martin and Alan were soaking up the sun in Portugal.

The last three months have been spent locked away in the depths of Blackwing studio in central London recording the new album. It's a collection of songs written by Martin. The overall feel of the album is different to 'Speak And Spell', but we feel it's a natural progression and we hope you like it.

DEPECHE MODE

[Dave]

I was born at 5.00am on 9th May 1962 weighing in at 8 1/2 lbs. We lived in Romford Road, Chigwell in Essex in a semi which is also where I was born. When I was young I was rather tubby all round and a bit of a moaner, always crying in fact. My earliest memory of my childhood is being made to drink hot milk with the skin on at nursery school, but I can't remember if I liked it or not. My dad left home when I was 3 and we moved to another semi in sunny Basildon. My first claim to fame was when I was in the Boy Scouts and won an award for baking a cake, the news made half a page in the Evening Echo. Later in life I became very mischievous and went about with a gang, getting in trouble for the usual teenage things. By this time - 1977 - punk was beginning to hit the headlines and I, much to my mum's dismay became involved in it, dyeing my hair various colours and sporting clothes from Seditionaries. I saw many bands that year in Chelmsford, Southend and London. During the next few years I became interested in clubs in London where I listened to music by David Bowie, Roxy Music, Kraftwerk and Gary Numan., so when the chance came up in 1980 to join a band playing the sort of music I liked, I took it. And here I am today!

[Andy]

My story begins in the heart of the Midlands, back in 1961, where I was born at my parent's home in Nottingham. We moved down to Basildon in Essex when I was 2 years old, to the house where I have lived ever since with my mum, dad, two sisters and brother. It wasn't until I was 14 that I started to take music seriously, through a local church which I attended regularly at the time. It was there that I picked up a guitar for the first time. A few years on I became a member of my first band 'No Romance In China', which included Vince Clarke who I'd known from my church days, I played guitar (pretty badly). This band quickly disbanded but soon after the basics of Depeche Mode were formed with Vince, Martin and myself fulfilling the major roles. After recruiting Dave as our vocalist we went from strength to strength and in the last two years I have been lucky enough to meet many people and travel to many different places and have done things that I'd never dreamed I'd ever do.

[Martin]

Hello! My full name is Martin Lee Gore and I was born on 23rd July 1961. I spent the first three years of my childhood in Dagenham with my parents and grandparents and then moved to Hornchurch in Essex. After a brief stay of one year we moved again, this time to the centre of the Universe - Basildon! My first school was Bluehouse Primary which made Andy and I arch enemies, his school and mine being only a few hundred yards apart. At the age of 11 I moved up to Nicholas Comprehensive which Andy also attended. When I was about 12 my mum and dad bought me a guitar for my birthday and together with a few friends 'Norman and the Worms' was born (N.B. before Adam and the Ants). This group continued in one form or another until 1979. I stayed on at school until I was 18 because I liked it so much and then started work in a bank for want of something better to do. I had always been interested in electronic music and as soon as I had saved up enough money I bought my first synthesiser in order to join a group with Vince and Andy on rhythm guitar and bass guitar respectively. I choose to forget the name we were playing under at this time (it's even worse than 'Norman and the Worms'). [1] You probably know the story from here.

[Alan]

Alan Wilder. Age 23. Born 1st June 1959. I'm the odd one out - I don't come from Basildon in Essex. I'm a Londoner having lived here for most of my life except for the interesting years spent in Bristol where I played with my first real band called 'The Dragons'. I was in one other group before 'The Dragons' but I'm not prepared to divulge any more information about that! Other bands include - 'Dafne and the Tenderspots' (Don't laugh!), 'Real to Real' and 'The Hitmen'. I learnt the piano as a youngster but my interest has always been with modern music. I left school at 16 to work in a recording studio as a tape operator / engineer which, incidentally, was invaluable expertise and since then I've never considered being involved in anything other than music. I auditioned for Depeche Mode last January and was chosen from a short list of possibles. I've since toured with the group and appeared on television but I haven't, as yet, been involved in any recording projects.

[1] - He's choosing to forget Composition Of Sound. In this 1988 interview Andy suffers a nasty case of voluntary amnesia too. __________Depeche Mode: The Interview [Talking Music SPEEK013]