Depeche Mode - A compilation of short mentioning about DM from several magazines from 1986 to something (Jaakko's Page Depeche Mode, 1996) | dmremix.pro

Depeche Mode A compilation of short mentioning about DM from several magazines from 1986 to something (Jaakko's Page Depeche Mode, 1996)

demoderus

Administrator
A compilation of short mentioning about DM from several magazines from 1986 to something (1996)
Depeche Mode Compilation
A compilation of short mentioning about DM from several magazines from 1986 to something.

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 00:04:16 +0100
Reply to: Stefan Moernaut
Subject: Snippets of old...

Snippets of old
I waded through my old articles and translated/typed a few very short DM stories, I hope you like em. Don't aks me questions about their date/year, because I honostly wouldn't know anymore. I just cut them out of magazines years ago and sticked them all together...

DEPECHE MODE: Stripped (Mute)

Depeche Mode were becoming very predicatble but this is the best thing they've done in ages. "Let me see you stripped", sings Dave Gahan and bang goes their appearance on Saturday Superstore. Actually, I think it's all about going back to nature and "discovering yourself". Slow and atmospheric, even though you can't work out what he's going on about.
Smash Hits

DEPECHE MODE: A question of lust (Mute)

With a "provocative" word in the title and a couple snogging on the cover, one would expect this record to be at least slightly "steamesque" and pervy. But no. They don't take any of their clothes off at all !! Once the black electro clanks of the intro have settled down, we are presented with a floating, melancholic tune and a wheezing, breathy voice that's singing about "love" not "lust" (a word employed solely to rhyme with "trust" and "dust"). Moody and pretty but entirely saucefree. What a swindle !
Smash Hits

WHO KISSES ALAN ?

"On the new Depeche Mode single "A question of Lust", you can seen Alan kissing a girl. When I saw that it swept me off my feet ! First I got really furious, and then I started crying. Who is this girl ? Couldn't Depeche Mode pick a better image for the sleeve ? I could kill this girl with my bare hands !"
Maja V., Wuppertal
Calm down, we can assure you it's not Alan on the sleeve. We asked the photographers Ashworth in england who shot those pictures. Because they had to make the single-photo in a big hurry, they just took a guy (Gary) and a Girl (Nikki) from their neighberhood. But we must admit Gary looks like Alan from the side anyway...
BRAVO (German Pop magazine)

DEPECHE MODE: Black Celebration (Mute)

Despite their seemingly endless stream of brilliant singles Depeche Mode always seem to go a bit wonky when faced with a whole album to fill. Not this time though. "Black Celebration" doesn't only see them go a bit weirder with lots of dark, mysterious percussive episodes (sung by Dave Gahan) snuggling up agains sweet, fragile and rather sinister ballads (sung by Martin Gore) but is also the first time thay haven't had to throw in any second-rate stodge. Their best album yet (apart from the very brilliant "Singles" LP, that is) (8 out of 10)
Chris Heath, Smash Hits

DEPECHE MODE's DAVE GET'S MARRIED

Leadsinger Dave Gahan from Depeche Mode married his girlfriend JO in silence. This happened in Dave's place of birth, Basildon (England). After the ceremony there was a huge party in a gigantic tent attended by lots of their old friends, like Alison Moyet and the guys from Blancmange. "I'm together for 6 years now with Jo", laughs Dave, "but now we're married, we want children as soon as possible and as many as possible"
JOEPIE (Belgian Pop Magazine)

MARTIN CAME BACK

When the 'Realschool' Erfden (Schleswig-Holstein) in 1976 made a student exchange with the school from Basildon, the then totally unknown Martin Gore came to live in the house of the family of Erfden's mayor, Frenzen. He liked it so much there he came back the next year (1977) and the year after (1978). Since then there is a strong friendship between Martin and the Frenzen family.
Martin gave away tapes and small snippets from magazines from the time Depeche Mode was still an unknown band. Till now they've always been in touch. When the Depeches were in Germany a little while ago, Martin visited Erfden a whole week "to take some rest from the tour, but that didn't work out very well (martin)".
Of course it didn't take long before the entire Erfden teenagers knew there was a big english pop star in town. So there was a big crowd when he visited his old school, where he learned his first German words.
"He still was such a sweet and quiet guy, like we used to know him"
Annelene Freudenthal, Am Kamp 10, 2376 Erfden
POPCORN (German Pop magazine)

MARTIN GORE BACK IN SCHOOL

Unbeleivable but true ! Martin Gore from Depeche Mode visited our class R 10b in Erfde and gave autographs immediatly for more than an hour. Like we wrote in Popcorn nr 11, Martin came to Schleswig-Holstein to visit a family he lived with from 1976 to 1978 (some kind of exchange school/students program). He was very friendly and told us the whole story of how Depeche Mode was formed. Unfortunatly the time slipped by to fast. But Martin promissed us to give autographs again and answer all our questions as soon as he visits Erfde again.
Class R 10b, Schulstrasse 2376 Erfde

DEPECHE MODE: Behind the wheel (Mute)

Not unnaturally, since this is, after all, Depeche Mode, several odd noises immediately come into play here, not least the sound of a car hub cap falling off to begin the proceedings. A door then opens and - zwoom! - we're off at fairly moderate speed, Dave Gahan in the passenger seat, and some weird girlie (not only weird but no doubt a bit of a perv on the quiet, since Martin Gore wrote the thing) driving. And that's all that happens. Dave's "voice" travels no more than three notes up or down the scale, and the bumping one finger synthesiser beat surrounding the "jaunt" fares not much better. A bit weedy on the whole, and not much cop.
Smash Hits

Shock for Depeche Mode

Imagine a lovely afternoon fishing, first you almost got perforated by the horns of a cow and then electrocuted by shock wire. This happened to Depeche Mode in Denmark. The boys had a couple of free hours and wanted to go fishing on a quiet spot when they were startled by a wild cow, and chased all over the pastureland. Andrew Flecher : "We ran for our lives and didn't see the pasture was blocked by shock wire. So we ran upon it and got a shock too."
JOEPIE (Belgian Pop magazine)

DEPECHE MODE: Never let me down again (Mute)

So often The Mode thump out the same old synthesized ploddings but this one's definetly more memorable because it's... well, it's creepy. Shiver your spinal "column" to the hollow, jaggy and sinister toots, shake in your sandals at the eerie 'n' horrible choir-sound asearing over the top of it all, and then ponder the sentence "Promise me I'm as safe as houses/ as long as I remember who's wearing the trousers". The b-side of this is quite a good disco belter too.
Smash Hits

DEPECHE MODE: Never let me down again (Intercord)

The split mix of "never let me down again" goes on for a whopping 9:30 minutes on the 12" maxi single. For my ears, the most exciting piece of music DM ever brought out ! The new Depeche sound is just so unbeatable as the melody.
Bravo (German Pop magazine)

"When I visit someones house for the first time and I see an Eric Clapton album in their collection, I turn around and won't ever come back again"
Dave Gahan
"Each concert in a huge venue is an adventure. It's like climbing a 12.000 meter high mountain without an oxygenmask."
Martin Gore
"One member of Depeche Mode is gay, but it's not me."
Martin Gore

Stefan Moernaut
/--------------------------------------------\
| Answers so near, understanding so far away |
\--------------------------------------------/

Last edited: