bong11_c-jpg.3322

Articles:
DM's 'World Unification' (concert review) by Katie Holm
Depeche Mode Fans in Yugoslavia by Andrea Zagar
A Few Lines on Being a DM Fan... by Rebecca Oliver
Depeche Mode Convention - Camden Palace Sunday 8th July 1990 by Lynn Newcombe
World Violation: Cancelled Shows by J.D. Fanger
Mode Violation, South and West (concert review) by Jean Louie
The Melbourne Story (article on a cancelled concert) by Jeremy M.

Pictures:
page 1 backstage in Paris
page 2 promotional shot
page 3 informal touring shots
page 4 page 5 page 6 backstage and live pictures

Attachments

• bong11_1.jpg
    bong11_1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 92
  • bong11_2.jpg
    bong11_2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 78
  • bong11_3.jpg
    bong11_3.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 78
  • bong11_4.jpg
    bong11_4.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 89
  • bong11_5.jpg
    bong11_5.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 88
  • bong11_6.jpg
    bong11_6.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 74

demoderus

Administrator
DM'S 'WORLD UNIFICATION'
[From Bong 11, October 1990. Words: Katie Holm.]
A fan's intense and personal recollections of a World Violation concert.

I attended Depeche Mode’s “World Violation Tour” on June 28th and 29th at Pine Knob in Clarkston, Michigan (USA), and it has been the best concert I have ever seen. I also saw them in 1988 and 1986, but with the addition of many new stage surprises (none of which I’ll give away – you must see it yourself!) this tour is the most “finely honed” by far!

Depeche’s concerts, as many or all of you know, are not only superb musically, but “spiritually” as well. A sense of oneness cannot be helped as everyone sings along to old and new favourites, including some songs never before performed live! Dave sweats, grinds, bumps, churns and belts out all of Martin’s tunes with true heartfelt quality. Meanwhile Fletch and Alan play and bang way, with an occasional jig, and Martin stomps back and forth with his guitar, or sings to an enchanted audience. I went to the concert with two good friends of mine, and left having made dozens of new friends, including Marie, a girl from Denmark! Many of my new friends I will never see again, but we will always remember each other because of Depeche Mode.

There were two very special moments during the concert. When Martin and Dave performed “WAITING FOR THE NIGHT”, I wanted someone else to feel as moved as I did. So I grabbed the hands of my friends Marie and Xavier (my friend from France). We held our arms up in a salute until the last sounds died, and when I started to let go of their hands, they gave mine a big squeeze.

Then, when the first encore of “BLACK CELEBRATION” started, the rain that had threatened all day finally broke, pathetic fallacy…? [1] This time Marie grabbed mine and Xavier’s hands, and I grabbed other people’s hands, and we all danced and hugged each other in the cleansing rain. When the song stopped, so did the rain.

I could’ve reviewed the concert, talking about the songs and the lights, but that would spoil it for those of you who haven’t seen it yet. Besides, this aspect seems more important. Music, especially Depeche Mode’s creates a sense of unity “around the world and back”. And during a brief period of rejoicing, three countries (at least) were united not only politically, but spiritually. So, “enjoy the silence” until the concert comes to you!

And a special thank you to Alan, Andy, Dave and Martin for an experience I’ll never forget!

[1] - There is a well-documented story that when Depeche Mode performed "Blasphemous Rumours" (which contains the line "then came the rain") at the Pasadena Rosebowl concert on 18th June 1988, there was a freak shower. Less likely is the embellishment that it ended during "Sacred", as "Sacred" was performed first. I didn't realise that this incident had become legendary so soon.

demoderus

Administrator
DEPECHE MODE FANS IN YUGOSLAVIA
[From Bong 11, October 1990. Words: Andrea Zagar.]
A Yugoslavian fan on the embattled state of Mode fans in her country.

I live in Yugoslavia, but the mail from the DM fanclub I receive in Germany where my parents live. It’s quite hard for me to be a DM fan, because I can’t see them playing live.

When I heard that they are going on tour, I went at once straight to Germany to buy a ticket. But, as I arrived, the tickets were all already sold! My last and only hope disappeared. Depeche Mode haven’t given any concerts in Yugoslavia yet, and there aren’t any planned.

For many people here, it’s a dream to be able to see the Depechies live. It’s almost impossible to buy DM LPs and virtually impossible to get hold of singles, so most people get their records abroad.

In Zagreb there’s only one radio station that plays DM. It’s a local station called “101”. Most of the young people listen to this station as they don’t only play top-ten stuff, but also real music – Depeche Mode. When they played “VIOLATOR” for the first time, many young people called the station to find out the name of the band. From that day, DM became favourites. There is also a disco in Zagreb which on certain days plays only DM music.

We all love Depeche Mode and we hope so much that they will come sometime to Yugoslavia.

demoderus

Administrator
A FEW LINES ON BEING A DM FAN...
[From Bong 11, October 1990. Words: Rebecca Oliver.]
Opinion piece from a teenage fan.

What’s it like to be a typical fourteen year old English girl who lives Depeche Mode more than any other band in the world?

Well, many fans say it and it’s definitely true in my case. Depeche Mode have changed my life. For 1 ? years whatever I’m doing at whatever time of day Dave, Mart, Fletch and Alan are always there lodged in the back of my mind, nagging away at me not to forget them for a second. So, my eyes and my ears are always open for the slightest mention of Depeche – whether on the Radio, TV or in the magazines. Even the tiniest magazine and newspaper mentions are cut out and kept with a note of when they were printed.

Alan, Dave, Fletch and Mart are like best friends to me, it’s funny to think they don’t know I exist, let alone know who the hell I am! But I am totally and utterly devoted to them – whether it’s Martin’s spooky lyrics, Dave’s “waggish” behaviour, Alan’s brilliant keyboard skills or Andy’s down-to-earthness. They are such a great bunch of guys, no mistake!

Yeah, I know they’re not Gods. Just four normal guys who like to lead a fairly normal life when they’re not working. I respect that, and I think all true fans do. Everybody needs privacy, what makes Dave, Mart, Alan and Fletch any different?

I won’t bore you with a list of all the Depeche Mode items I’ve collected so far – what’s the point? I love Depeche because I love their music. I’m not the sort of fan that goes and spends ?50 on a T-shirt because it’s a very limited edition. I think all that proves is you’ve got a lot of money to throw around, not that you really like DM’s music. I would spend that amount (or even more!) on a limited edition record though, that, in my view, is worth it. You might disagree with me on that point – fair enough.

I haven’t met them yet… maybe one day? If I did meet them I’d probably make a prat of myself and say something stupid. Ain’t that always the case?

So, keep loving Depeche, (What could be simpler?) – where would they be without us? On the other hand, what would life be like without them?

demoderus

Administrator
DEPECHE MODE CONVENTION - CAMDEN PALACE SUNDAY 8TH JULY 1990
[From Bong 11, October 1990. Words: Lynn Newcombe.]
Review of a 1990 convention, by the organiser.

We arrived to set up about 11.00 am and there were fans already waiting outside – even though the doors didn’t open until 5.00 pm! When the time finally came, over 1,000 DM people of all nationalities flowed through the doors, and made their way to the front of the stage where the action was. By 6.30 the place was packed out, all that could be seen from the stage were bobbing heads and DM t-shirts in abundance.

There was a massive video screen suspended from the middle of the ceiling, thus enabling everyone either side of the hall to see what was being shown, there was a video-taped message from the band, recorded by fanclub member Liz Docherty, when she and Jo were in New York in June. The DJ, Tom Smith (who also did the convention last year at the Borderline) had a real mixed bag, including some new remixes (where does he get them from?)

Jo was busy on the stage throwing goodies into the adoring crowd (she loved it!) Then came the competitions, this was a lot of fun, I especially enjoyed ploughing through the crowd ‘persuading’ unsuspecting victims to enter. The winners were as follows:- Jon Tiller, from Salisbury, was our ‘Martin’ and overall winner. His prize was one of DM’s mikestands and the last Violator watch in existence. ‘Dave’ was Mark Welbourne from Surbiton, who won Dave’s grey jacket. Peter Mahoney (press-ganged by me) from Herne Bay won the ‘Alan’ part and walked home with another one of DM’s mikestands and Adam ‘Fletch’ Tribe was presented with Andy’s football shirt. (We don’t know much about Adam, as the clipboard with all the info’ about him on was swiped from the stage – thanks!)

We also held a dancing competition, with entrants dancing on the stage. We were finally left with Gary Pryce from Scotland (but works in Germany) and Violet from Ireland. Gary very kindly conceded to Violet and she won a framed & signed ‘Enjoy The Silence’ poster.

Earlier in the evening, we had distributed DM quiz forms and a guy called Faith answered them all correctly thus winning Dave’s black leather jacket, as worn on ‘The Tube’ and the ‘Black Celebration’ tour.

As eleven o’clock drew near, yet more goodies were distributed from the stage, mega sized posters (courtesy of Mute), signed photographs, postcards, ‘Wherehouse’ tapes and lots more.

On the whole, I think everyone enjoyed themselves, lots of people kept telling us there should be more conventions. We agreed, of course – so we’ll see you at next year’s!

demoderus

Administrator
WORLD VIOLATION: CANCELLED SHOWS
[From Bong 11, October 1990. Words: J. D. Fanger.]
A member of Depeche Mode's team explains the cancellation of two World Violation shows and the re-scheduling of a third.

As you know, Depeche Mode rarely cancel shows. In fact, prior to the World Violation Tour, there were only two shows ever cancelled, and in both cases, for reasons outside the band’s control, and never due to sickness.

Unfortunately, the World Violation Tour has had two shows cancelled, and one near miss.

In Ottawa, the road crew discovered Blue Asbestos in the roof structure of the venue, some of which was dislodged during an inspection of the beams which would support the equipment. The mess was subsequently cleaned up by a man in a moonsuit and breathing apparatus would you believe? To proceed with their work would have caused further dislodgement of asbestos particles, and the road crew felt that this would expose them to further contamination, and that if the show went ahead, the band and audience would also be exposed, and so the work was stopped. We were given no prior warning that this building contained Blue Asbestos.

In Salt Lake City, an open air show had to be cancelled, because it had poured with rain all day, and the stage covering was inadequate. We were lucky enough to be able to re-schedule the show indoors on the following day, and, of course, the weather was wonderful.

Finally, we were very upset at having to cancel the show in Melbourne. In spite of some lengthy rehearsals, Dave strained his voice badly during the show in Sydney, but managed to finish the show. (Sydney was the first of only two shows in Australia, and the first show of the Australian / Japanese leg of the tour, after a three week break). A doctor was arranged to be at the Melbourne venue the next day, before soundcheck, who examined Dave’s larynx, and told him he could not sing for at least two days. This meant that we couldn’t even consider re-scheduling, because of our Japanese dates.

Cancelling a show, for any reason, is very distressing for all concerned, especially the fans who have bought tickets. Voice problems are not easy to predict, because the voice always improves during the course of the day. This is why the Melbourne show was cancelled so late. Dave was particularly upset that a show had to be cancelled because of his voice for the first time in his career, and everyone was sorry that it happened on Depeche Mode’s first visit to Australia.

demoderus

Administrator
MODE VIOLATION, SOUTH AND WEST
[From Bong 11, October 1990. Words: Jean Louie.]
A double review from a lucky American fan.

Catching one show on the Depeche Mode ‘World Violation’ tour was great, but winning a second chance to see them was fantastic.

I was lucky enough to win that chance from a local radio station in my hometown of San Antonia, Texas.

I caught DM at The Woodlands in Houston on July 6th. Nitzer Ebb kicked off the show, and had the crowd singing and dancing in no time. They played an energy-packed set that lasted about 40 minutes. Crowd favourites were ‘Chant’ and ‘Lightning Man’. As their set closed, we awaited the arrival of Depeche Mode.

As DM hit the stage the crowd went wild. Everyone was on their feet immediately and we sang and danced throughout the show. The audience kept shouting for their favourites hoping to bring the Depeche guys back out for encore after encore. The show was great! I told all my friends about it, and how much fun I had. About a month later I had a big surprise…

I entered a contest with KSAQ-96FM in San Antonio, who were giving away DM cassettes. I won one of these and a week later I won a trip to L.A. to see Depeche Mode at the Dodgers Stadium on August 4th.

Nitzer Ebb opened the show with another energetic set. Then Electronic and The Pet Shop Boys came out to perform. They all seemed to have fun, especially Bernard Sumner from New Order, who danced the whole time he was onstage. As their set ended, we were told DM would be out on stage soon. We settled back amid paper fights, food fights and even beach-ball throwing!

As the lights went out to signal their approach to the stage, we were up on our feet. Depeche hit the stage as the sky went dark and the crowd went crazy.

As usual, Dave did a great job with the vocals, Martin Alan and Fletch got rowdy with their keyboards and percussion. One of the best parts of the show was Martin’s ‘bondage angel’ who really stole the show!

Even though the show was 2 hours long, it was over too soon. Winning this trip was a phenomenal experience. My thanks go to Dave, Alan, Martin and Fletch. I can’t wait to see what the future will bring.

demoderus

Administrator
THE MELBOURNE STORY
[From Bong 11, October 1990. Words: Jeremy M. .]
An Australian fan shares his disappointment at the cancellation of the Melbourne concert, 31st August 1990.

Being a Depeche Mode fan from New Zealand I was excited at the news of the band coming down our way on their current tour. I was perhaps a little disappointed that New Zealand was excluded, but I accepted the fact, and booked tickets to fly over and see them in Melbourne (Australia). I had everything organised and paid for and left on August 31st for Melbourne. I was extremely excited about seeing DM for the first time as we have waited so long for them to come down here.

The big day finally came and I arrived at The Festival Hall at about 4pm. There were many other fans already queuing that had travelled from all over Australia to see the show. Everyone talked ‘Mode’ for the remaining hours, excitement and anticipation was building, especially when the band could be heard inside the hall soundchecking ‘World In My Eyes’.* Shortly after this an announcement was made over the P.A. that our concert was to be cancelled due to Dave having a severe voice strain. I could not believe it, I was at a loss for words. Other fans around me were crying and there was a general ‘state of shock’ atmosphere. A few people including myself went round to the stage door and waited for the band to come out. We got to see Dave and Andy (and took lots of photos) as they jumped into a car and took off.

I am very disappointed that we missed out on a fantastic show and can also understand that these incidents can occur on tour. It was a shame that they had to leave Australia so quickly and couldn’t reschedule. I hope that they will return on their next tour to both Australia and New Zealand.

*What Jeremy heard wasn’t Depeche Mode soundchecking, but the crew playing a tape – Dave’s voice was completely gone, and he was under doctor’s orders not to even speak. [Bong Magazine's own footnote]