Dave Gahan - Dave Gahan: Depeche Mode - Intimate Details (No. 1, 1987) | dmremix.pro

Dave Gahan Dave Gahan: Depeche Mode - Intimate Details (No. 1, 1987)

demoderus

Administrator
Dave Gahan: Depeche Mode - Intimate Details
No. 1, 12th September 1987. Words: Uncredited. Pictures: Uncredited.]
"I can't imagine anything worse than being on stage and having someone whisper in my ear that Jo's just had a baby. I mean what can you do. You can't say to 10,000 people "Excuse me my wife's just had a baby. I've got to go!" I wanna be there - definitely."
Lightweight short Q&A with Dave. Despite the simple questions, Dave does open up quite a bit, and is understandably preoccupied with his relationship with Joanne given their expected 'new arrival'. Surprisingly interesting for this sort of interview.
num120987_1.jpgnum120987_2.jpg
Name:
Dave Gahan.

Born:
May 9, 1962 in Chigwell, Essex.

Nickname:
In school they used to call me Gahany. Really original, I know!

School:
I hated school. It's really funny because I can remember everything over the last seven years or so really vividly, but I can't remember a thing about me school life. When it was a quarter to four and we finished at four, that last quarter of an hour seemed to last forever. That's my lasting image of those days.

First record bought:
I never really bought albums when I was young. I think it was David Bowie's 'Space Oddity'. Either that or Slade's 'Cum On Feel The Noise'.

Tell us a secret:
Well I don't know if it's a secret but my wife Jo is going to have a baby in October. I'm pretty excited about it because we've wanted one for a long time. The thing is we had a good go at it for quite a while and nothing happened. Then the minute we stopped trying so hard she became pregnant. Typical.

I really hope it arrives before we go on tour. I can't imagine anything worse than being on stage and having someone whisper in my ear that Jo's just had a baby. I mean what can you do. You can't say to 10,000 people "Excuse me my wife's just had a baby. I've got to go!" I wanna be there - definitely.

What would you like to say to Madonna?

Well, that would be hard because I'm not the sort of person who goes up to someone and says "Look I didn't really enjoy the gig". The thing is though I really didn't enjoy the gig. I like a lot of her songs. I think some of her singles have been great and it's been incredible that she's been able to maintain that level of success, especially with the work load she puts on herself.

What's the most romantic thing you've ever done?

I'm not really that romantic to tell the truth. I suppose in other people's eyes it would be the way Jo and I got married. It was just on the spur of the moment in a registry office. Then we had a big party afterwards. Other than that nothing. I mean, I buy flowers for both Jo and me mum. Does that count?

Have you ever had your palm read?

No I haven't. I almost did it once when I was in Southend getting a tattoo done. I quite fancy doing it actually. I'm not sure how much I believe in that sort of thing. Alan's girlfriend, Jerry, is really psychic, and about a week before we knew Jo was pregnant she came up to me and said "Is Jo going to have a baby?" It turns out she had a dream about it. Maybe there's something in it.

Does Jo still run the band's fan club?

No, she had to give it up in the end. It all just got a bit too big. I'd come home, and there would be posters and records everywhere - all I wanted was a break! I just couldn't handle it. I just couldn't get away from Depeche Mode. It got to the stage where we didn't talk anymore. She'd just ask me questions like "What colour socks were you wearing that night in Berlin?"

What's the best thing about being famous?

I enjoy going to clubs with a big bunch of friends and getting a lot of attention from the club owner. I can remember being turned away from clubs in London by snotty-nosed people who said "no, you're not dressed right".

Now we can walk in in jeans, a torn t-shirt and a leather jacket and they've got to let us in. I enjoy that because it gives me a feeling of being in control - even if it's only for an evening.

Do you play your albums to your mum?

I did this time, yeah. Actually, I couldn't play the album for about a month after we'd finished it. I was so sick of it. I just needed to get away from it.

I knew when I came back to it I'd like it and I did. I phoned everyone up and said "It sounds great". And, yes, I did play it to my mum. She liked it as well!