Depeche Mode - Depeche Mode, Adrenaline Village, London (Melody Maker, 1997) | dmremix.pro

Depeche Mode Depeche Mode, Adrenaline Village, London (Melody Maker, 1997)

demoderus

Administrator
Depeche Mode, Adrenaline Village, London
[Melody Maker, 26th April 1997. Words: Daniel Booth. Picture: Alpha.]

mel260497_1.jpg

Last edited:

demoderus

Administrator
Not so much a review of the Ultra launch party as a musing sparked off by the gig, with the author considering Depeche Mode to have become sidetracked from the kind of music they have always done best. Few fans will like this review, but the author states his points precisely and without dropping the band lamely in the 80s synthpop box. Far more useful than the other review I have for this gig.
" Their, ahem, self-discovery has been represented only in a hideously dark, guttural rock vocabulary and sound, which falls foul to the cliché that confessional and troubled lyricism can only be mirrored by gruesome, twisted music. "

Better than most, Depeche Mode illustrate the reversal of pop’s glory, from chic to shit, from despair to nowhere. At the heart of their sorry, downward spiral lies the career-threateningly almighty mistake that so often paralyses even the most inspired groups. The curse of credibility.

You can see it happening, right now, in the plight of both Mark Owen and Robbie Williams. Forced out of their natural habitat by a rapacious, moronic media, they both feel the need to “correct” their past identities and to contrive a new, acceptable image. The mistake is twofold: 1) that you, the public, should insist on a false, conservative notion of “credibility” in the first instance, and 2) that Mark and Robbie should look for this by befriending an unsightly bunch of shitpop shovellers and, in the words of a thousand Your Shout writers, “go all indie”, a metamorphosis which carries no intrinsic worth at all.

They’ll learn. But it will probably be too late. With Depeche Mode, however, the rot has already set in. To me, they will forever be the electrified thrill, the chief innovators of a new pop, spraying out tunes that buzzed insanely. A major reason to look back in wonder at the years 1981-1985. Over a decade later, they really are no good. As they slither and grovel like rock beasts through tonight’s mini-set, the last nail is spitefully driven in.

This isn’t just some half-baked longing for groups to remain as they were when I was young. It’s just that Dave Gahan has grown up to live all the rock myths that his group, and their cheap, frilly pop used to piss all over. Their, ahem, self-discovery has been represented only in a hideously dark, guttural rock vocabulary and sound, which falls foul to the cliché that confessional and troubled lyricism can only be mirrored by gruesome, twisted music. “Barrel Of A Gun” certainly convinces you that Gahan’s life has been insufferable recently, but it’s impossible to care when that pathos is smothered by polluted slabs of synth-carnage. Electronic music, and especially electro-pop, has yet to fully release itself from the grip of industrial, keyboard-trashing horror. It is this legacy that continues to undermine Depeche Mode; their simplistic assimilation of techno-grunge merely distorts the truth into a crass, black pantomime.

I just can’t take them seriously. Tonight, I just don’t get enough.

demoderus

Administrator
Ultra release party review, Melody Maker, April 26th 1997

Adrenaline Village, Battersea.​

Better than most, Depeche Mode illustrate the reversal of pop's glory, from chic to shit, from despair to nowhere. At the heart of their sorry downward spiral lies the career-threatening almighty mistake that so often paralyses even the most inspired groups. The curse of credibility.

You can see it happening, right now, in the plight of both Mark Owen and Robbie Williams. Forced out of their natural habitat by a rapacious, moronic media, they both feel the need to "correct" their past identities and to contrive a new, acceptable image. The mistake is twofold: 1) that you, the public, should insist on a false, conservative notion of "credibility" in the first instance, and 2) that Mark and Robbie should look for this by befriending an unsightly bunch of shitpop shovellers and, in the words of a thousand Your Shout writers, "go all indie", a metamorphosis which carries no intrinsic worth at all.

They'll never learn. But it will probably be too late. With Depeche Mode, however, the rot has already set in. To me, they will forever be an electrified thrill, the chief innovators of a new pop, spraying out tunes that got buzzed insanely. A major reason to look back in wonder at the years 1981-1985. Over a deacde later, they really are no good. As they slither and grovel like rock beasts through tonight's mini-set, the last nail is spitefully driven in.

This isn't some half-baked longing for groups to remain as they were when I was young. It's just that Dave Gahan has grown up to live all the rock myths that his group, and their cheap, frilly pop used to piss all over. Their, ahem, self-discovery has been represented only in a hideously dark, gutteral rock vocabulary and sound, which falls foul to the cliche that confessional and troubled lyricism can only be mirrored by gruesome, twisted music. "Barrel Of A Gun" certainly convinces you that Gahan's life has been insufferable recently, but it's impossible to care when the pathos is smothered by polluted slabs of synth-carnage. Electronic music, and especially electro-pop, has yet to full release itself fully from the grip of industrial, keyboard-trashing horror. It is this legacy that continues to undermine Depeche Mode; thier simplistic assimilation of techno-grunge merely distorts to the truth in a crass, black pantomime.

I just can't take them seriously. Tonight, I just don't get enough.

Melody Maker, April 26th 1997
Thanks to James Slater