Depeche Mode - Depeche Mode, Wembley Arena, London (Melody Maker, 1998) | dmremix.pro

Depeche Mode Depeche Mode, Wembley Arena, London (Melody Maker, 1998)

demoderus

Administrator
Depeche Mode, Wembley Arena, London
[Melody Maker, date unknown, 1998. Words: Carl Loben. Picture: Stephen Sweet.]
A unappreciative and often mocking review of a performance on The Singles Tour. However, don't take the remarks too seriously as the author, despite professing himself quite into their earlier stuff, drops clanger after clanger and didn't even recognise Enjoy The Silence when he heard it.
" It’s a soddin’ shame they’re now such pants. "
mel000098_1.jpg

DEPECHE MODE
Wembley Arena, London

Cited by many electronica artists as an early influence, Depeche Mode began life as chirpy synth-poppers in the early Eighties before moving into superb clangers of scrap metal for their third album. Then they went all industrial, got huuuuuge, and their singer got himself a heroin habit. It’s a soddin’ shame they’re now such pants.

Dave Gahan’s clean now, of course, although with his addiction has gone much of Depeche’s latterday appeal. Indeed, but for the tattoos, he’s again resembling the suburban geek who first wiggled his stuff on “TOTP” all those years ago – complete with snooker player’s mullet [1] and Top Man waistcoat. It’s a sanitised, Sierra-driving Depeche Mode who are out on this “Singles 1986-98” tour, and all the more disappointing for it.

They’ve got groovy gospel backing singers, though, and some massively kitsch “DM” light bulbs that blind with every power chord. And the personal questing is still prevalent on the somewhat glib “[Only When I] Lose Myself” (“Only when I lose myself in someone else / Do I find myself” [sic]) and a neo-gothic “Question Of Lust”. Some of these songs trawl the darkest recesses of despair, so it’s fairly incongruous to have a prancing, smiling Gahan relaying them so cheerfully. [2]

Those arm-waving to “Walking In My Shoes” recall a load of Blair-ites at a rally, but after some interminable, pseudo-religious dross about redemption and condemnation (err, “Condemnation”) [3] it’s a relief to be perked up by “All I Ever Wanted” [sic]. This is vintage Depeche – buoyant, thought-provoking, soulful. That Gahan delivers it while making like a constipated angle-poise lamp suddenly doesn’t matter. [4]

When they follow it with one of their finest, “Personal Jesus”, all is nearly forgiven. But they do that obvious there’ll-be-an-encore thing, and come back with some right old cack. Former perv Martin Gore, now in Bacofoil trousers, does an embarrassing ballad (“Somebody”), “Stripped” is skagged-out slop. Only a revelatory “I Feel You” and a triumphant “I Just Can’t Get Enough” [sic] make you wish they hadn’t split a good few years ago.

[1] - Dave Gahan has never worn his hair in a mullet. Although I have heard other reviewers describe his waistcoat as being somewhat snooker-playerish.
[2] - For one thing, this author is the first person I have ever heard quite earnestly describing Depeche Mode's music in such a way - in fact this article from about the same time pokes holes in that view with some justification. For another thing, the seeming mismatch between the introspective subject matter of the songs and the often perky instrumentation - or at very least Dave's gleeful showmanship - is one of the things that the appeal of Depeche Mode has always run on. You either get it or you don't, and it seems this author doesn't.

Please Login or Register to view hidden text.

[3] - This song (the studio version of which Dave regards as his finest vocal performance and an enduring favourite), was from the era of Dave's addiction which the author finds so appealing in the first paragraph. The "groovy gospel singers", incidentally, were brought in at the same time.
[4] - Although I wouldn't describe it that way myself, it's a pose Dave had been adopting for the previous twelve years. I'm surprised the author didn't recognise it.