Depeche Mode - Love It Or Shove It (Sounds, 1989) | dmremix.pro

Depeche Mode Love It Or Shove It (Sounds, 1989)

demoderus

Administrator
Love It Or Shove It
[Sounds, 11th March 1989. Words: Sam King. Picture: Anton Corbijn.]
" Above all there’s nothing that really gives you the feeling of actually having been there. "
It's hard to take the views expressed in this 101 album review seriously when the author claims to be a "serious fan" yet can't get a song title right. Nonetheless, they are valid views and they have been made by many other reviewers since, so please try to see through the urge to laugh aloud when reading this lukewarm piece.
sou110389_1a.jpg
DEPECHE MODE “101” (Mute STUMM 101) ***

I have to declare an interest here. I’ve been a serious Depressed Toad fan for ages, but even I have to admit that the live sphere is not their forte.

Here they’re static – three men confined to their samplers with only the whirling, tumbling Dave Gahan to afford them any excitement. And this is the problem that dogs their new 101 film (of which this is the soundtrack).

The problem is not the material. Martin Gore’s songs are extraordinary, hugely effective slices of electropop, that blend his deceptive pop sensibility with a strange, often perverse outlook on life. Indeed, Depeche Mode go out of their way to try and build some excitement into the proceedings, filling their music with unusual and elegant sounds and samples, which go some way towards eliminating the essential tedium of the live experience.

Rather it’s the sequence of songs. There’s no feeling of growth, of development, nothing to make “Stripped” (one of Gore’s most eloquent lust songs), which begins side two, more of a peak than “Behind The Wheel” from side one. Nothing that makes “Grabbing Hands" [1], the final track, a climactic ending to the set. Above all there’s nothing that really gives you the feeling of actually having been there.

It’s something of which Depeche Mode are well aware, and while the line “Though my views may be wrong / They may even be perverted” (“Somebody”) may show us where Gore’s mind is, the lyric “You know my weaknesses / I never tried to hide them” (“The Things You Said”) seems to be the key here.

Beautifully packaged, with an inclusive booklet of snaps from the event, “101” is above all a fan’s LP, its 17 tracks all available in better condition elsewhere. The film’s genius may have been to take a busload of kids across America on a real rock’n’roll orgy rather than focusing solely on the band. Here there are no such safety nets, no diversions, and what you see (or hear) is what you get.

Depressed Toad – warts and all. [2]

Afterword: this author considers the clinical sound quality as something that lets down a live album - read this review for the opposite perspective on 101.

Please Login or Register to view hidden text.

[1] - For the benefit of anyone reading this with little or no DM knowledge, this is the clanger mentioned in the summary. The song is one of their enduring classics which reached No. 6 and is in fact called "Everything Counts", so quite apart from the fact that the author could always have checked the album sleeve, there really is no excuse for this kind of mistake. And while I'm venting a bit of spleen, no serious fan would ever describe the band as "Depressed Toad". So there.
[2] - By way of backing up this author's point - as I think I ignored my own advice a moment ago - compare a review from Uncut twelve years later: "...[T]hese retooled hits add little to their studio blueprints. The monochrome grandeur and sly observation of the film which spawned it is lost in clinical, two-dimensional reproduction."

Please Login or Register to view hidden text.

Last edited: