Martin Gore - The Return Of Martin Gore (Boyz, 2003) | dmremix.pro

Martin Gore The Return Of Martin Gore (Boyz, 2003)

demoderus

Administrator
The Return Of Martin Gore
[Boyz, 12th April 2003. Words: Uncredited. Pictures: Uncredited.]

boy120403_c.jpgboy120403_1.jpgboy120403_2.jpg

Last edited:

demoderus

Administrator
An interview with Martin beginning by discussing his Counterfeit2 solo work. It's perhaps understandable that a gay men's magazine will have a bit of a slant on the questioning, but the interviewer fails to pull Martin out of a non-existent closet or tease out some naughty stories, and this is as near as I have come to seeing Martin angry.
" I always felt totally heterosexual, very comfortable with my sexuality, very comfortable dressing like that – it wasn’t a big deal for me. It seemed to be a big deal for everybody else. "
Does it feel like you’re starting out all over again?

Because I’ve been around for so long, I have a bit of a head start. I think there are quite a few people out there in the world who are interested in what sort of a cover record I would make, so it’s not really like starting out. Maybe in England it’s a bit tougher, it’s not the place where we’ve had our most success.

Why a solo album? Surely you don’t need the money?

When I was a kid I used to really love the Bryan Ferry cover records, so I quite liked the idea of doing this series of counterfeit records, just because I think it gives people an insight into my influences.

So it’s a vanity project?

I suppose so. I always feel that it’s not right for me to do an album of my own songs while Depeche Mode still exists. I’m not the most prolific of songwriters, and there are usually three or four years between Depeche Mode albums, so if I were to use 12 songs on an album of my own stuff, then it’d probably be like six years between Depeche Mode albums.

Isn’t it hard to touch records that have influenced you so much?

It’s not like when I do a cover version I expect it to live up to the original, they’re just songs I like and that have in some way touched me on an emotional level. Obviously I like so many more songs that I would consider doing cover versions of: These ones in particular just strike a chord emotionally with me.

Is it a relief to be making this record without the other Depeche Mode folk?

The actual process isn’t too different. The only real difference was that I had a final veto on everything, because my name was going on the record. I can often lose arguments in Depeche Mode because we work as a democracy.

Do you think that makes for better creativity?

I don’t know. Sometimes I lose arguments and it’s probably good that I do. I end up realising that maybe I was wrong. [1] I’ve never been the biggest fan of touring, so I kind of reluctantly get talked into doing fairly big tours and I usually end up liking them.

Depeche Mode once spent 15 months on the road – how gruelling was that?

I can’t imagine it anymore, and I don’t think I’ll ever put myself through that again.

Do you feel like the music scene has come round again: The whole electroclash movement has roots in Depeche Mode?

Yes, it makes me smile because it does immediately take you back to the 1980s. I suppose it’s inevitable that these things come round, it’s not particularly what I’m into now…

Does it make you shout at the radio?

No, it’s funny. I always think retro trends are a little pointless. I can understand why young kids want to do it, because I suppose it’s quite fun and exciting, but it does seem a little pointless.

When will Depeche Mode get back together?

We’re just going to talk. I think at the end of the year when me and Dave have both got these projects out of our systems.

Let’s talk about those crazy old dresses you used to wear.

OK, I used to enjoy dressing like that. It wasn’t a big game plan that I had, it wasn’t for shock value, it was just this phase that I went through. I can’t say that I regret it – I do find it unfortunate that I still get asked about it all the time in England. [2] Everywhere else has moved on. For some reason it’s a fascination in England: It’s like a tarts and vicars kind of thing: English people seem to have an obsession with men dressing up in skirts, they can’t get away from it.

Did your family ask questions?

I think my father probably disowned me more than my mother. [3] But it was the 80s: Everybody had a strange look pretty much – there was something funny in the air. Most people didn’t dress normally at the time, so it wasn’t like I was totally out on a limb.

But wasn’t it like, “You’ve got to be gay”?

Yeah, I still think to this day that everybody assumes I’m gay, well, not everybody, but a lot of people assume that.

How do you feel about that?

It doesn’t bother me.

Did you ever question yourself?

No, I didn’t. I always felt totally heterosexual, very comfortable with my sexuality, very comfortable dressing like that – it wasn’t a big deal for me. It seemed to be a big deal for everybody else.

Did you get a lot of gentleman attention?

A bit. But then I think it was a look that fascinated girls as well.

Was it a very niche kind of fan that was interested in that?

Not really. I suppose we still have a real cult following to this day that has a very particular look. There’s not many of the people that would dress in skirts and stuff, but our audience generally tends to wear black: We call them “The Black Swarm”. And they do still have a particular look, especially when we go over to Europe. But we have the most devoted, loyal fans of any band that I know.

Do you think your music validates the freaks?

Possibly, I don’t know if they feel like outsiders. I’d like to think that it’s a lot to do with the music, that they relate the words and the atmospheres of the songs to their loves – I think that’s what creates this devotion.

What was the most degrading night of your life?

Everybody goes on about the Songs Of Faith And Devotion tour, that’s notorious, but whether that was the worst or not – I doubt. I’m sure there were a lot of other nights.

Give me an example of a typical night.

It’s not something that I feel comfortable talking about too much, because for a start it’s been really overexposed, we’ve all moved on in our lives. I have children, and I don’t think it’s cool for me to be talking about things like that in interviews.

Do you think gay men are more extreme than straight men?

I don’t know. Like I said, I don’t really want to talk about what I got up to, what we got up to as a band. It was something that was just so long ago now, it seems like another lifetime really.

The single, “Stardust”, is out on 14 April, and the album, Counterfeit2, is released on 28 April.

[1] - Martin might well have in mind here an occasion during the recording of Violator. While working on a wistful ballad Martin had written, Alan suggested speeding it up considerably. Martin hated the idea and by his own admission sulked for two days. But once he heard the speeded up version, he loved it. The song was Enjoy The Silence.
[2] - It seems that only British journalists tirelessly bring up the cross-dressing subject long after the band have moved on. It also seems that only British journalists - often in the same breath - accuse Depeche Mode of trying to cash in by playing the "pervy" card long after everyone else has (supposedly) moved on. Funny, that.
[3] - From Record Mirror, 25th May 1985: "I’m quite surprised really. When I went home this time I was wearing stockings and things. I went to me mum and said, “what do you do with stockings mum, do you just put them in the washing machine?” And she went “just put them in with the blacks, dear”.” Incidentally also - not to delve too far into another personal area - his father was in fact his stepfather, something he didn't know until about 1991, which might partly explain why there was less of a connection on his father's part.

Please Login or Register to view hidden text.