Depeche Mode - Touring The Angel / Angel Fire (Metro, 2006) | dmremix.pro

Depeche Mode Touring The Angel / Angel Fire (Metro, 2006)

demoderus

Administrator
Touring The Angel
[Metro, 6th October 2006. Words: Andrzej Lubowski / Iain Nussey.]
Here's an object lesson in the weakness of tour videos: they can never capture atmosphere and a show will never seem as good on video. The reviewer, despite some efforts at finding the good points, seems to have missed this fact. Also included is a fan's forthright reply which should put the record straight.
"...there’s something quite perfunctory about the whole endeavour."
1.jpg
For all their success, Depeche Mode never quite entered the REM / US alt.rock mega-league and, with the best will in the world, Touring The Angel is a fair indicator as to why. Shot at the Milan date of the tour supporting last year’s underwhelming Playing The Angel album, there’s something quite perfunctory about the whole endeavour. Filmed inside a big black arena, and without even a “grazie” from Dave Gahan, it doesn’t feel like the band were captured on a special night. A fair smattering of new material gradually gives way to a predictable greatest hits set, which wouldn’t be a problem at all if only the Mode would do something interesting with their old songs. Gahan may exhort the crowd like a pro but Martin Gore, Andrew Fletcher and their backing band churn out the likes of Enjoy The Silence and Never Let Me Down Again with methodical detachment.
Extras: Documentary, bonus songs, audio CD.

demoderus

Administrator
Angel Fire
[Metro, 10th October 2006. Words: Andrzej Lubowski / Iain Nussey.]
2.jpg
Regarding your description of Depeche Mode’s Touring The Angel DVD as “underwhelming”, (Metro, Fri), the tour itself was apparently such a flop it sold out only 69 arenas in 30 countries, with 800,000 tickets sold in Europe. The band also played to 2.5 million people across 31 countries this year. Gosh, word must have got around about how bad it all really was.
Iain Nussey, Bath

I believe the reviewer gave the DVD three stars out of five, although I forgot to save the whole of the page which had the ratings on - D.A.