Depeche Mode - Ultra (The Associated Press, America On-Line, 1997) | dmremix.pro

Depeche Mode Ultra (The Associated Press, America On-Line, 1997)

demoderus

Administrator

Ultra (The Associated Press, America On-Line, 1997)​

AOL Ultra review, The Associated Press, America On-Line, April, 15th 1997

demoderus

Administrator

"Ultra," (Mute/Reprise Records) - Depeche Mode​

Depeche Mode's first album in four years, "Ultra," is being touted by publicists as the band's comeback.

The British group certainly has had its share of problems since releasing "Songs of Faith and Devotion." During that time, Alan Wilder quit the band after 13 years and vocalist Dave Gahan nearly overdosed and then attempted suicide.

Yet for all the talk of something different, Depeche Mode has fashioned another album that features Martin Gore's brooding lyrics with the same synthesizer-heavy sound the band has been producing since the early 1980s.

The occasionally schmaltzy lyrics are still there, especially on "Home," written by Gore, but obviously a vehicle for vocalist
Gahan.

"And I thank you/For bringing me here/For showing me home/For singing these tears/Finally I've found, that I belong."

It's as though the group expects its listeners to rise to a standing ovation and applaud that Gahan has finally kicked his heroin and cocaine habit.

And yet "Ultra" - like most of Depeche Mode's albums - isn't a complete disappointment.

Its energy comes when the band sticks to what it knows best, mainly danceable, electro-pop tracks, such as "It's No Good", "Barrel of a Gun" and "Useless". However, those songs are few and far between.

If only Depeche Mode would learn to lighten up. Now that would be a comeback worth talking about.

By David Kligman, Associated Press Writer.

The Associated Press, America On-Line, April, 15th 1997
Thanks to ULTRAdM@aol.com