Depeche Mode - Wilko Stays Solid On The Gig Trail (Basildon Evening Echo, 1980) | dmremix.pro

Depeche Mode Wilko Stays Solid On The Gig Trail (Basildon Evening Echo, 1980)

Wilko Stays Solid On The Gig Trail
[Basildon Evening Echo, 1st December 1980. Words: Mick Walsh.]
baz011280_1.jpg

Last edited:

demoderus

Administrator
A mention of Depeche Mode in their local paper, ahead of a show at the Bridgehouse, which I believe is their first ever appearance in print. So early, it's free even of the enthusing about their youth and innocence that characterises early 1981 material. And you've got to laugh at the phonetic spelling of "Gahan"!
" And the gig is more than just a chance to pay off the HP instalments on their battery of synthesizers. "

Electro-pop band Depeche Mode, from Basildon, headline at The Bridgehouse, Canning Town, tonight.

And the gig is more than just a chance to pay off the HP instalments on their battery of synthesizers.

The young foursome will be watched by a cluster of record companies after catching the eye when they supported the highly-acclaimed Fad Gadget there last week.

The line-up is Vincent Martin, Andrew Fletcher, Martin Gore and David Garn – all from Basildon.

Said Vincent: “Some people travelled from Southend to see us with Fad Gadget and we’re hoping some fans will make the journey tonight. It’s probably our most important yet.”

The band are a regular attraction at the Saturday electronic rock nights at Croc’s, Rayleigh.

Afterword - (a) no, you aren't seeing things. Vince Clarke's real surname is Martin, and he changed it when Depeche Mode started to become well-known because he was claiming unemployment benefit at the time and didn't want to get into trouble with the law. (b) Some people at times have queried how Dave's surname is pronounced, and I've seen a couple of people on the official DM message board insist it's pronounced Ga-harn. Maybe Dave out of politeness has kept quiet while someone mis-pronounces it in his company, but I reckon the typo in this article about settles it, even if it wasn't before. (c) The only other 1980 news item I know of is the "Posh Clobber Could Clinch It For Mode" snippet quoted in the sleeve notes of Singles 81-85 which is almost certainly later than this article. Hence, you are now looking at Depeche Mode's first ever appearance in print.