1987-09-xx - Depeche Mode Information Service Newsletter (4-1).jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

demoderus

Administrator
Fan Club Newsletter, September 1987.
fan010987_1.jpgfan010987_2.jpgfan010987_3.jpgfan010987_4.jpg
Hello!

There've been quite a few changes since the last Newsletter, not least the fact that I'm not who you think I am! (Are you following me?) Maniko, who's been running the Information Service for the past couple of years has now left us. That leaves me to introduce myself. My name's Jo (no, not that Jo, she's far too busy preparing for motherhood) and I'll be organising the Fan Club from now on. [1] Oh yes, that's another difference. From now on, we'll be known as The Depeche Mode Fan Club, rather than Information Service. We've even got ourselves a new address. Although anything sent to the old box number will be forwarded. The address is:
THE DEPECHE MODE FAN CLUB
P.O. BOX 982
LONDON NW1 6EZ

The yearly subscription will also be going up but don't worry, you won't have to pay any more money until your current membership runs out, then I'll send you the details. You'll be issued with membership cards and numbers very soon.

In the very near future, we hope to swap the regular Newsletter for a magazine, featuring colour photographs and you'll be receiving a few extra surprises from time to time. Regular newsletter features such as penpals and lyrics will find their way into the magazine too. I expect you to do some work too! If there's anything you'd like to see in the magazine or even write yourself send it in! That goes for drawings and birthday dedications - anything! We'd also like to include a letters page, so if you want to praise or sound off about anything - feel free!

As befits an up-and-coming Fan Club, we need a new logo. This is your chance to make your mark in the world - design one for us! We'll choose the five best, then leave it up to the band to choose their favourite. Then we'll use it forever and ever! The winner will receive a mystery prize (that means we haven't decided what it is yet!) and all five finalists will be printed in the magazine. The only stipulation is that it must prominently feature our new address (see above) but other than that it's up to you! Please mark entries 'LOGO' and post them in time to reach us by December 1st.

MORE TOUR NEWS

A number of you have written asking if Depeche Mode will be playing any dates in Ireland. Sadly, the answer is no at the moment. Due to the packed schedule on the tour, there were only three weeks in which the band could have played in Ireland, and unfortunately there were no suitable venues available for that period. This of course doesn't mean that they won't be playing any Irish dates in the near future.

The rest of the World Tour is shaping up nicely, the most recent dates I've got for you are as follows:

OCTOBER

WED 21 BILBAO Venue to be confirmed
THU 22 MADRID Venue to be confirmed
FRI 23 BARCELONA Venue to be confirmed
SUN 25 MUNICH OLYMPIA HALL
MON 26 BOLOGNA PALASPORT
TUE 27 ROME PALEUR
THU 29 MILAN PALTRUSSARDI
FRI 30 TURIN PALASPORT

NOVEMBER

MON 2 STUTTGART MARTIN SCHLEYERHALL
TUE 3 FRANKFURT FESTHALLE
WED 4 ESSEN GRUGAHALLE
FRI 6 COLOGNE SPORTSHALLE
SAT 7 HANNOVER MESSEHALLE
MON 9 BERLIN DEUTSCHLANDHALLE
WED 11 LUDWIGSHAFEN FRIEDRICH EBERT HALLE
THU 12 ZURICH HALLENSTADIUM
FRI 13 LAUSANNE HALLE DES FETES
MON 16 PARIS BERCY
TUE 17 PARIS BERCY

These dates will, of course be followed by the British dates which you received in your last Newsletter. Which, in turn, leads me nicely in to the latest (and greatest)....

COMPETITION

How would you like to come to London, accompanied by a friend, spend the day sightseeing (or whatever!) go to Wembley in the evening to watch Depeche Mode in concert, & then troop backstage to meet the band afterwards? Not to mention a good night's kip at a Hotel and then home again in the morning piled high with goodies and memories? Sounds good? - I thought so. All you have to do is tell me what you think a BONG is? (Not what the dictionary says, I can look that up myself). Please only enter if you know you can make the trip on January 12th. Mark entries 'BONG' and get them to us by December 1st please.

NEWS

The release date of MUSIC FOR THE MASSES is September 28th in Britain. Make sure you buy it. Those of you in the London area might like to wait until Thursday 1st October as the band will be in the new HMV Store at Oxford Circus at 6pm signing copies of the album.

Most of you will have heard by now about the episode outside 'The Sky Bar' in the Vaakuna Hotel in Helsinki, where the band were refused entry because they were wearing jeans - for those of you who don't know, they all promptly disappeared and returned five minutes later not wearing their jeans - only their underpants! Obviously the bouncers on the door hadn't read the 12th September issue of No.1 where Dave was quoted as saying that he can walk into a club "wearing jeans, a torn T-shirt and a leather jacket and they've got to let us in". [2]

Well........p'aps not!

Other goings on in the wacky (?) world of DM have been a huge amount of TV appearances in Europe and Britain. Most of the end of August and the beginning of September were taken up with catching flights and grabbing 40 winks wherever and whenever possible, although the band did go to a party in Munich, with their German Record Company, Intercord - and nobody will tell me what happened!!!

The lightning TV tour began in Oslo and finished in Paris, DM having done a staggering 17 TV appearances!

When you go to see Depeche Mode in concert (as I'm sure you've already bought your tickets) please don't take any recording or video equipment along with you. You can, of course take normal, instamatic-style cameras. Any really good pics you take can always be sent to the magazine! (Don't panic, I'll send them back!)

There's a half-hour compilation video planned for sometime after Christmas. No specific details as yet although I do know that it'll feature DM's most recent videos plus some never-before-seen album tracks - More news next issue! [3]

On the subject of videos, DM hope to film some of the Music For The Masses Concerts with the hope of releasing it in video form sometime next year. [4] Make sure you look your best at whatever concert you go to as you may find yourself being filmed!

Fancy going to see DM in Cologne? There's a trip organised by MGP departing from London on November 4th in the evening, arriving in Cologne the following morning. The price is £85.00 which includes: Concert ticket, One night's 1st class hotel accommodation, Continental Breakfast, Luxury Coach transport from London, Cross Channel Ferry (Sealink), Free time in Cologne, Experienced Courier, and insurance against concert cancellation. If you're interested and wish to reserve a place, send cheque/postal order for £20 per person plus £7.50 personal insurance to:
M.G.P
61 QUEEN'S ROAD
BRIGHTON BN1 3XD

All cheques/PO's to be made out to MGP, if you wish to book by Access or Visa Cards, write to the above address quoting your card number.

More details are also available from MGP.

I really don't know how the band manage to stay so slim! I got a look at the dressing room requirements for the American leg of the Tour (dates next issue) and the food alone would put three stone in weight on me if I only looked at it!

For one person they have:

Mid-afternoon: 6 rounds vegetarian sandwiches
1 quart spring water
1 quart unsweetened Orange juice
4 cans 7-Up
4 cans Coca-Cola
4 Cans Orangeade
Tea
Coffee
Milk

Evening: 15 rounds vegetarian sandwiches
5 rounds meat sandwiches
12 chicken drumsticks
12 sausage rolls
Plate of assorted cheeses
Bowl of mixed salad
Crisps, Nuts, Twiglets, Avocado Dip, Tacos, Celery, Shredded (raw) Carrot
6 vegetable samosas
24 bottles Becks Beer
6 bottles of Muscadet (Dry white French wine)
1 pint Smirnoff Vodka
1 pint Jack Daniels bourbon
1/5 Remy Martin cognac
4 quarts unsweetened Orange juice
2 quarts unsweetened Apple juice
12 cans 7-Up
12 cans Orangeade
12 cans Coca-Cola
2 gallons spring water (still)
2 quarts Perrier
1 flask coffee
1 flask tea
1 quart milk
Ice

And they specify BRANSTON Pickle, HEINZ Ketchup and HEINZ Salad Cream and Mayonnaise.

All this lot is as well as their main meals!

On the next couple of pages are the lyrics to Never Let Me Down Again, Penpals and the most up-to-date discography you could ever hope for.

See you soon!

JO BAILEY

[1] - The Jo being mentioned is Dave's wife, who ran the Information Service in the early days and was expecting their first child at the time. This interview gives Dave's own perspective on the upheavals in the Gahan household.
[2] - That's this article (NB it's the same one as mentioned in footnote [1] ).

Please Login or Register to view hidden text.

[3] - This was released in early 1988 as 'Strange'. The album track referred to was 'Pimpf', which had a video made especially for this release.
[4] - This became '101', which focuses on the final concert in Pasadena, California, on 18th June 1988.

Last edited: