79 KB · Views: 113
  • bong21_2.jpg
    bong21_2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 105

demoderus

Administrator
WAITING FOR TWO NIGHTS TO FALL
[From Bong 21, July 1994. Words: Michaela Olexova.]
Summary: A review of the concert in Montreal, Canada, 20th June 1994.

In June I was fortunate enough to see Depeche Mode in Canada. Here’s my review of the shows in Toronto and Montreal.

After touring last year in the States and Canada, Depeche Mode came here again for the final leg of their leg of the Devotional Tour. Shame we can’t say that ‘again’ about Europe where a few more concerts before this tour is over would be highly appreciated by the Depeche fans.

Although the tour was rolling down in the States for most of the time, two concerts were planned in Canada. The first show was organised for Monday June 20 in Toronto and the second one on the following day in Montreal.

The humidity that was surrounding the Toronto area eased a little on Sunday to everyone’s relief ’cause spending some four hours in sweat at the time of the show would be unbearable for all of us. Monday’s concert was held in Kingswood Stadium at Canada’s Wonderland quite a long way from the city centre. The name of the area was more than appropriate… When the fans started arriving in the afternoon and had to pay an extra $28.00 just to get into the “Wonderland” where the stadium was situated they really couldn’t stop wondering… why they were being charged to enter the amusement park as their intention wasn’t to go on the rides but to get to the arena to see Depeche Mode? Maybe the low point of the day for some but the highlight was yet to come and by the time the lights went on everyone had forgotten about the nuisance at the entrance for sure.

The venue with the capacity of 14000 was sold out weeks before the show. The radio station CFNY – 102.1 in Toronto had been organizing some competitions for the fans throughout June apart from the promotion of the gig. Most of the fans won tickets and access to the backstage barbecue that was held before the show. They also won the 1994 DM Tour CD released by Sire especially for the States as well as the Primal Scream CD. Unfortunately, the band arrived too late to meet the winners but I’m sure those 35 plus people had a great time anyway.

The Chicago-based quintet Stabbing Westward opened the night at 7.30 pm and introduced the audience to some tracks from their debut album “Ungod”. [1] The pulsing rhythms of the industrial music were exchanged for rocking and rolling Primal Scream shortly after 8 o’clock. You could hear the songs from their latest album performed in almost the same order but presented in a hugely entertaining way on stage which turned the audience on, so everyone was dancing around and enjoying themselves long before the Modes went on.

Trying to describe the whole performance of Depeche Mode that night would be very difficult and subjective as I didn’t have a chance to discuss the show with many other fans and everyone sees and feels things differently, no doubt. What’s got to be said is that the guys were brilliant, witty, powerful, magical, funny (especially Mr. Gahan himself) and also tender, but aren’t they always? I must admit that I missed the opening “Higher Love” but a new version of “Rush” took everyone by storm and set the concert in a dynamic pace. Depeche Mode dug deep into their back catalogue to come up with such strong pieces as “Somebody”, “I Want You Now” with some house music beats and “A Question of Time” in a very new ‘rocky’ version. The biggest surprise of the show was when after the first tones of “Condemnation” it was Martin who came on stage with his microphone and started to sing! I didn’t know what to think! The only thought that came to my mind was that Dave was saving his voice for the second part of the show.

I feel I should say a few words about the stage set which the fans in Europe didn’t get a chance to see as it was completely changed and a new one was made especially for this leg of the tour to present something different to the audience that had already seen Depeche Mode last year. It was made more simple and raw. Those nine screens that formed the second-level stage last year disappeared. Alan’s drumkit and keyboard were situated in between Martin and Daryl’s [2] keyboards during the whole concert, just the piano was brought forward for a couple of sings. Also the two large screens and the ‘metal-men’ weren’t part of this set any more. You could see one huge screen in the background where all the films and images were shown in a new artistically improved style.

The show came to an end at 11pm. The atmosphere was so fantastic no-one could reconcile with a fact that the whole thing was over. Not even the band members who found the crowd sensational and enjoyed the show as much as they did. The next show in Montreal with more than 16000 tickets sold, proved to be the same… Depeche Mode are a very big and hit band in the USA and Canada! Always were and always will be!
[1] - Stabbing Westward were also to support Depeche Mode on their next tour in 1998.
[2] - Fletch was too ill with nervous exhaustion to continue on the final leg of the 1994 American tour, and had to be replaced by the band's assistant Daryl Bamonte.

Last edited:

demoderus

Administrator
REACH OUT TOUCH FAITH
[From Bong 21, July 1994. Words: Brian Do.]
Summary: A continuation of the serialised Depeche Mode biography, this instalment covering the Violator era.
This article was reprinted, with amendments and a rewritten end section, in Bong 28 in 1996.

1. Your Own Personal Jesus

“Let me take you on a trip, around the world and back, and you won’t have to move, you just sit still.” That’s exactly what Depeche Mode did as they took the world on a very pleasant trip and showed them ‘the world in their eyes’. It was August of 1989 when an English paper ran an ad that simply stated, “Your own Personal Jesus” and gave a telephone number. Callers were treated to the sound of the new single from Depeche Mode, a band that for the last decade has continually grown in stature with legions of fans which now number in the millions throughout the world. “Personal Jesus” was an ingenious piece of work which went on to become one of the best selling 12-inch discs in American history, selling over a million copies and easily becoming the best-selling single in the Warner Brothers catalogue. It certainly looks as if Depeche Mode has found a little personal ‘Jesus’ of their own. The trip continues as the world eagerly awaited the next album.

During the time from their previous LP “Music For The Masses”, Depeche Mode had little time to rest. The Music For The Masses tour had ended in June of 1988 and it was but a few months after that when the band found themselves back in the recording studios. Martin Gore had just released his solo e.p. “Counterfeit”, and began concentrating on new lyrics for the next Depeche Mode album. For their new LP, the band enlisted the help of a new producer, Mark “Flood” Ellis and legendary mixer, Francois Kevorkian. Work began in Milan, Italy at the Logic Studios, then shifted to Axis in New York, London’s Church and Master Rock Studios, and ended at Puk in Denmark. What resulted was the emergence of a new LP marvellously titled “Violator”, which was immediately engulfed by the music industry and to this date has sold well over 6 ? million copies throughout the world.

2. World In Their Eyes

On March 20, 1990, Depeche Mode appeared for a promotional autograph signing at the music store The Wherehouse in West Los Angeles and what transpired was beyond anyone’s imagination. Over 10,000 fans overran the music store to catch a glimpse of the modern rock giants and were simply too much for the security staff to handle. Fearing a riot, the band was promptly dispatched back to their hotel by order of the L.A. Police Dept. which sent in over 130 officers to disperse the crowd. “It was pretty scary,” Dave Gahan recalls. “It was an out of control situation, but it worked out great for our (new) record.” Indeed it did. [1]

On every TV station was the headline caption – English rock band Depeche Mode stopped the traffic at Beverley and La Cienega today. Although the band was forced to depart early, the fans were treated to a special cassette release of “Something To Do” (metal mix), which was given free to its L.A. area supporters via a KROQ radio giveaway. The signing was intended to launch the new LP “Violator”, and launch it did. The album arrived exactly a decade after the band signed with Mute Records and showed music goers everywhere the world in their eyes. The LP quickly rocketed to platinum in several European countries including their homeland of England just months after its release in February. In France, Canada, and the U.S., “Violator” went double-platinum in sales. What was perceived to be a landmark year for the band turned out to be a complete world domination of the music industry.

3. Enjoying The Silence

“Violator” was a monster hit and climbed to No. 2 in Britain and No. 7 in the United States. The world stood in shock as the momentum of the new LP boosted “Personal Jesus” back into the music chart six months after its initial release, peaking at No. 1 on several U.S. alternative radio stations. MTV had long since adopted the song’s stunning video directed by photography genius, Anton Corbijn (of U2 and R.E.M. fame), and excerpted another mini-movie titled “Strange Too – Another Violation”.

The second single from the new LP, “Enjoy The Silence” was another million selling single that was released on February 5, 1990. The track has remained one of the strongest to date and went on to win the coveted British Single of the Year Award of 1990 given by listeners of BBC Radio 1. The track’s alluring chorus is evidence that the piece hit home with the fans. “All I ever wanted, all I ever needed is here in my arms. Words are very unnecessary, they can only do harm.”

The third single from “Violator”, “Policy Of Truth”, reunited Martin Gore with his religious tones as seen in the track’s lyrics. “You’ll see your problems multiplied / If you continually decide / To faithfully pursue / The policy of truth…” Although the single didn’t fare as well in sales as the first two singles, it has become a strong underground number with club goers and youths.

The final single “World In My Eyes” was released on September 8, 1990 and sailed high into the music charts landing at No. 5. [2] Nowhere else can you find the pleasing lyrics – “I’ll take you to the highest mountain / To the depths of the deepest sea / We won’t need a map believe me / Now let my body do the moving / And let my hands do the soothing / Let me show you the world in my eyes.” The B-sides to the single, “Happiest Girl” and “Sea Of Sin”, again fared high with club goers across the globe.

4. Depeche Mode’s World Violation

There was nothing that prepared the world for what was to come – Depeche Mode’s new tour in support of “Violator”. This was to be Depeche Mode’s longest and most successful tour yet. World Violation, as it was called, would take the band on a year long trip over five continents and playing to over 1,200,000 people. Tickets were bought immediately as box offices opened. In New York, 42,000 tickets were sold within four hours. Dallas’ 24,000 seat Starplex Amphitheatre sold out immediately as did the World Music Theater in Tinley Park, Chicago. In Los Angeles, where the now-traditional tour closer was to take place, 48,000 tickets for the last tour performance at Dodgers Stadium were sold within one hour of going on sale, two months even before the scheduled show. Within 72 hours, a second night was added and that sold out even faster.

By the tour’s end in August, the band had truly set out with what they had wanted to accomplish. They were in the driver’s seat and earned time for a much needed rest. The trip was now over and it wouldn’t be until Alan Wilder continued with his solo project and releasing the LP “Bloodline” that we would see any new material from Depeche Mode. However, the band had certainly staked their claim once again as the masters of the radio airwaves and dancefloors. Depeche Mode is indeed “fast fashion” that will never go out of style.
[1] - For more on the incident, read the article that appeared in Bong 9, or the transcript of the souvenir cassette given away by K-ROQ.

Please Login or Register to view hidden text.

[2] - Possibly this is an American placing, but in the U.K. Policy Of Truth only reached No. 17.

demoderus

Administrator
HUNG(A)RY FOR DEPECHE MODE
[From Bong 21, July 1994. Words: Andras Sereg.]
Summary: A profile of the Hungarian Depeche Mode Fan Club.

First of all, I’d like to say thank you for letting the world know about us, the Hungarian fans that followed DM on their European tour and you could read about in one paragraph of the “Montage” section in BONG 19. [1]

Now let me tell you a few words about the Hungarian Fan Club itself. The first and biggest fan club in Hungary was founded in September 1987 and has been based in Budapest ever since. Shortly, the DM parties and conventions within the Budapest area became very popular and gave everyone an opportunity to meet other DM fans, listen to the DM music, dance, watch the videos and also swap the DM stuff which was hard to get in the early days. We organized some special events but only the fanatics who had a membership card could participate. The number of those who attended our conventions gradually reached 2000.

“The DM Laser Show”, another unusual event that was organised in the summer of 1988 in the Budapest’s planetarium, attracted a lot of attention. Even though the FC wasn’t among the organizers this time, many DM fans had a chance to see a spectacular show during which the laser lights created a bizarre 3-D images based on the DM songs, mainly from the album “Music For The Masses”, the latest release by DM back then.

In August 1991, we held a mega party that lasted 36 hours. The Hungarian Television was also present at the event. I think, we could have been nominated for the Guinness Book Of Records as more than 6000 boys and girls took part in this special event, and I think this number shows clearly the popularity of DM in Hungary.

In 1990, we planned trips to Munich and Berlin to see the “World Violation” Tour. We have been to Nurnberg, Mannheim, Dortmund, Berlin, Munich, Vienna, Stuttgart, Frankfurt, Cologne, Budapest (of course), London and believe it or not one Hungarian fan got as far as Los Angeles. We would have gone to Prague as well, but unfortunately the date was changed at the last minute so it was impossible to reorganise everything. On June 25 in Stuttgart, Dave recognized some faces from our group and shouted: “The every night man!” One of our friends was pulled onto the stage in order to sing “Behind The Wheel” together with Dave. The concert in Budapest happened to be the biggest adventure of the Devotional Tour for all the Hungarian fans and also the members of DM regarded the concert as one of the best shows of the European Tour 1993. A huge review of this show and report on our fan club was featured in two issues of “NME” last year. [2] Some Hungarian fans even managed to meet the members of the band, Anton Corbijn and Daryl Bamonte. We were all pleasantly surprised when we found out that the video for “Condemnation” was shot in Hungary.

Since 1993, our club co-operates with the Mute Records official representative HMK Music and would like the opportunity to say how grateful we were to them for arranging our tickets for the concert in London on December 20, 1993.

Our club is getting bigger and bigger every month. By the end of the year 1994, we want to reach the number of 150,000. The person who will be the lucky 150,000th member of the Hungarian FC will get 150,000 Hungarian Forints (approx. 1000 GBP) as a bonus.

We hope that Depeche Mode will come back to Europe soon which will give us an opportunity to see our favourite band again!

One thing is sure: We will be there!

[1] - I haven't included news snippets such as Montage items on this site as they are too small... But oh go on then. Just this once: "The highest honour of the tour goes to a group of Hungarian fans who followed the band through Germany and always managed to get in the front row. Dave started to recognise them after a few shows, so in Stuttgart on June 25, he pulled one of them onto the stage and shouted, "They are following us everywhere!" "
[2] - Here are the first and second articles being referred to.

demoderus

Administrator
BONG CONVENTION REVIEW 05/06/94
[From Bong 21, July 1994. Words: Tracy McLoughlin.]
Summary: A review of the 1994 fan convention in London.

The place to be on this Sunday evening was not particularly difficult to find. All you had to do was spot a DM T-shirt and follow its wearer, then join the masses converging on the Limelight Club in Leicester Square for an evening of unrelenting Depeche-related revelry.

The fun kicked off with the “Devotional” video, the buzz in the club produced an almost concert type atmosphere, the next best thing to being there. Meanwhile the mastermind competition forms were being laboured over and if the music had been any quieter you would have heard the brains overworking, trying to remember the answers to some very tough questions like – what song does the line My mind wanders… come from! The next round was even tougher – e.g. what date was 101 officially released?

The winners definitely earned their prizes – Andrew Hopper won the first prize of a drumstick signed by Alan. Eelco Korpel from Holland won Martin’s signed plectrum and Stuart Chapman won a film box used during the Devotional tour. All three received tour books and runners up got promo videos & posters. In between dancing and listening to some of the best DM mixes and records around we had another chance to see Anton’s documentary (it was first shown at the SOFAD listening party) – an unusual look at the lads as individuals speaking frankly about their personal and professional lives – very revealing and so far away from the image of 101.

There were various other competitions throughout the night. The remix competition, a kind of ‘name that tune’ on paper was won by Michael Rafledge whose prize was a giant SOFAD card. Dave Saul and Antony Mew won a Tour book & promo record respectively. The winners of the dancing competition were Trevor Tinsley and Roberta Casson who both had to get up on stage and show why they were worthy winners. They received a T-shirt & poster each.

The judging of the look-a-likes was done by a very enthusiastic audience. The loudest applause therefore the prizes went to: Dennis Grey (Dave) who won a signed calendar. A very happy Anja Kolhert from Germany won Martin’s silver top & signed plectrum for looking more like him than any of the blokes! John Needell won Alan’s signed drumsticks. And Jon Brown won a signed calendar for looking most like Andy.

During the evening raffle tickets were being sold by the handfuls and people hoping to win another of Alan’s drumsticks, a signed calendar, promo videos and records, T-shirts etc. £210 was raised for a local playgroup doe children with mental and physical disabilities and the draw was held at the end of the evening.

So after 5 hours of the best music, videos, competitions and company the 1994 convention was over, so we picked another T-shirt (a bit sweatier than the one we’d followed earlier!) and followed its owner to the nearest tube station home.

Lynn and Michaela’s hard work was evident all through the night, and the conventions seem to get better and better. It’s a shame they don’t last longer and aren’t closer together, but this one was definitely worth waiting for. Thank you.