Administrator
Bong 34 (December 1997)
bong34_c.jpg

demoderus

Administrator
Bong 34 (December 1997)

Articles:
Some Great Videos (videocassette review) by various contributors
The World We Live In And Live In Hamburg (videocassette review) by various contributors
I Met That Bloke From Depeche Mode Once by Lena Hamburg
Bong Convention Prague 1997 by "Kirsty + Katherine"

Pictures:
page 1 a drawing of Martin by Rolando Oscar

Attachments

• bong34_1.jpg
    bong34_1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 62

demoderus

Administrator
SOME GREAT VIDEOS
[From Bong 34, December 1997. Words: Various contributors.]
Summary: A collection of reviews of the "Some Great Videos" compilation videocassette - with some of the reviewers becoming a little carried away.

“Some Great Videos” is stranded in the mannered grammar and imagery of its era – Soviet army footage, factory machinery, docklands desolation – and tapers out before Depeche Mode remade themselves through the artful eyes of Anton Corbijn. Who wants “Everything Counts” without “Enjoy The Silence” or “Master And Servant” without “I Feel You”?
Stephen Dalton, VOX, UK
(September 1993)

I only recently purchased this video and I must say it is completely brilliant! It starts with “Just Can’t Get Enough”. This is quite a good video but I think the two girls dancing in the background was a mistake! Nice appearance from Vince in this one. “Everything Counts” is good for the early 80’s and it seems to give a new feel about the song. “Love In Itself” is one of the best videos and it captures the mood very well. “People Are People” (12”) – this notes the war aspect in the song and takes place on a military type of boat. Seems to repeat quite a lot though. “Master And Servant”, Bondage City! Absolutely brilliant, especially Fletch attacking the wall with a road drill! “Blasphemous Rumours” – great mixing from what seems to be the “Live In Hamburg” video. “Somebody” is fantastic, moody, moving video, greatly complemented by Martin’s vocals. “Shake The Disease” – my favourite Depeche Mode song. This video is very strange. (Martin playing a corrugated metal door.) “It’s Called A Heart” – my favourite video. Mode meet voodoo! What’s the TV doing in a field? “Photographic” is taken from the Hamburg concert where the production is not as good as this one. This is an excellent video, especially for us younger fans who couldn’t experience it first time around.
Jack Persse
Shepshed, England

“Some Great Videos” sleeve has the same cover-photography as “The Singles 81-85” and apart from “Photographic” (live) it is in fact the greatest single-videos. The compilation starts with “Just Can’t Get Enough” where you can also see Vince Clarke standing behind the keyboard. It is a pity that there is no video from the “A Broken Frame” era. Follow both single hits from 1983 [sic], “Everything Counts” and “Love In Itself”. Then there comes the 12” version of “People Are People” which is one of my favourites. After that you can see every video from “People Are People” onwards to “It’s Called A Heart”. The video ends with “Photographic” (live) which is taken from the “Live In Hamburg” video. The videos perfectly underline the message of each song. The historical extracts in “People Are People” and the church in “Blasphemous Rumours” underline the atmosphere of these songs. You can also see the influence from the recording of the early albums in Berlin as the video for “Everything Counts” is made there too. There is also a difference in the way Clive Richardson and Peter Care direct. I personally prefer Peter Care’s work although he only filmed two videos, but especially on “Shake The Disease” he perfectly catches the mood of the song. All in all, I think that the videos are great ad it is interesting to see from video to video how the guys changed, especially Dave and his performance. He developed from the shy guy behind the microphone (“Just Can’t Get Enough” – 1981) to a perfect showman (“Photographic” live – 1985). This video compilation is a superb reminder of the band’s early years. And as the cover says, Some Great Videos, indeed!
Markus Bings
Geilenkirchen, Germany

demoderus

Administrator
THE WORLD WE LIVE IN AND LIVE IN HAMBURG
[From Bong 34, December 1997. Words: Various contributors.]
Summary: A collection of reviews of the "Live In Hamburg" compilation videocassette both by fans and from the music press.

This performance video is a living testimony on what they have done over the last 17 years of existence. It’s classic Depeche Mode at its best… truly, the best concert 80’s era film that you could ask from them. For all devoted fans it’s a time machine of some sort, where one can get back at the “raw” Depeche Mode that enhanced the use of synthesizers like no one else has done. The “humanist-conductor” himself Dave Gahan has the uncanny ability to make a performance like no other frontman can do, yet at that time with his still husky voice his energy driven enthusiasm to communicate is flawless, who can ever forget his headbang habit on “Told You So” and his last shout on “Blasphemous Rumours” that sends a chilling path on your soul. Also, what really amazed me is the way Alan, Andy and Martin played their instruments on “Lie To Me” and “Everything Counts”, it was so cool… with the drums and percussion trembling down on songs like “Master And Servant” and “If You Want” which undoubtedly only Depeche Mode can do.

Huge stage production wasn’t that evident, which may distract me or anyone who watched it again, indeed the changing times have come about to a band which have grown so big in the eyes of its devoted fans World-wide. Nevertheless “Live In Hamburg” is a monument to what the band has envisaged itself to be, “sensibly unique”!
Jocelyn & Leslie Reyes
Spain

“Live In Hamburg” begins with “Something To Do” followed by “Two Minute Warning” and “If You Want”. Then there comes “People Are People”, the song which made it to their highest chart position in 1984. The band goes on with two classic singles, “Leave In Silence” and “New Life” followed by “Shame”. Then Dave leaves the stage and Martin sings his beautiful ballad “Somebody”. While Dave’s performance during the whole show is very powerful and full of his classical “Dave-moves” Martin just walks along the stage. Dave comes back to sing “Lie To Me” and “Blasphemous Rumours”, one of my favourite songs especially when it is performed live with Alan and Martin hitting the metal plates. “Told You So” is followed by “Master And Servant”, also one of the Band’s best songs. “Photographic” is played in a much funkier version than on “Speak & Spell” and it seems as if the show is about to end with the glorious “Everything Counts”. But after some “Zugabe” the band comes back again to play “See You”, “Shout” and one of their most famous songs ever, “Just Can’t Get Enough”. This line-up is a perfect choice of the first four years in the Band’s career. Of course you cannot compare the stage set with those in the later years (for example: Devotional stage), it is much smaller and there are no visuals, but the light show is absolutely perfect. Together with the songs and Dave’s action this video is worth watching again and again. You can feel the brilliant atmosphere and you can almost imagine yourself really standing in the crowd. It is a shame that it is a bit dark sometimes so that you can hardly see a thing. Apart from that… a perfect reminder for everyone who was lucky enough to be there and a wonderful opportunity to see Depeche Mode’s earlier performance for those who couldn’t. My opinion: Some Great Reward for all the fans!!!
Markus Bings
Geilenkirchen, Germany

No wonder the Depeche lads are huge in Europe and America, where their inescapably naff brand of Essex electro can be enjoyed out of context and their self-reinvention as pervy pop sex lords taken at face value. In spirit, at least, this video belongs to Britain’s New Romantic ’80s, charting the Mode’s progress from fresh-faced youths with the newly minted kiddie-pop optimism of “I Just Can’t Get Enough” ringing in their ears, to sunken-eyed sinners suffering God’s cruel touch in “Passionate Rumours” (Editor’s note: this stands of course for “Blasphemous Rumours”) or “Shake The Disease”. Although it was filmed in flickering half-light with all the usual problems of static concert shows, “Live In Hamburg” probably satisfies more by capturing a single timeless moment in ’85.
Stephen Dalton, Vox, UK
(September 1993)

demoderus

Administrator
I MET THAT BLOKE FROM DEPECHE MODE ONCE
[From Bong 34, December 1997. Words: Lena Hamburg.]

Summary: A Danish fan who was lucky enough to meet Fletch and Alan in the contentious surroundings of an England / Denmark football match retells her story.
[As this was a regular feature there are too many similar articles to list here. Try the Bong main page, beginning on Bong 24.]

I bought the ticket for my friend Lene as a surprise birthday present and took her to Wembley Stadium with her suspecting nothing about the events of the evening. As it turned out, both of us were in for a great surprise! We arrived around 7 p.m. – well in time for the football match between Denmark and England Tuesday 15th of May 1990. We hung around the bar, bought a couple of beers and went out to one of the many openings in the stadium wall to look at some of the thousands of people arriving.

We stood near one of the staircase towers looking down at a small group of people who were standing at the entrance to the tower. One of them was red-haired and I thought he looked a bit like Andy Fletcher. I said this to Lene and she agreed although she wasn’t as much into Depeche Mode as I was. Who could the other guy be? Suddenly I realised that it was in fact Andy, and the other guy was Alan. I took a photograph of them and they looked up as the flash went off. I was kind of embarrassed…

It’s impossible to describe how I felt at that moment. I just couldn’t believe this was for real. I’ve been a fan of Depeche Mode since 1985 and meeting them was my wildest dream coming true. Even though I was very nervous and my legs were shaking like mad, I simply had to go down and speak with them – just to say hi. It was a chance in a lifetime, but I had some difficulties convincing Lene that she ought to go with me. Finally I succeeded and I guess she was just as nervous as I was. I almost had to drag her down the stairs! I had no idea what to say to them on my way down, but it actually went quite well.

We talked for about 20 minutes, I think. They believed that Denmark would certainly lose that night – I on the other hand was of a different opinion! They were both so sweet and friendly. My opinion of Andy completely changed that day. He was very talkative and seemed genuinely interested in learning a bit about me. Alan was quieter and he looked much better in real life than I had ever imagined. They were suddenly on their way to their seats and I asked if it was possible to take their picture. One of their friends offered to take a photo of the three of us. It was unbelievable standing there between Alan and Andy.

During the first half of the match I was completely wild. I was telling Lene all the things they had said even though she had been there the whole time. The score at half time was 0-0 and we of course were convinced Denmark would win, as they actually played very well. We went to the bar and met Alan and Andy again. This time I as a bit more relaxed and felt on top of the situation compared to a few hours earlier. I got their autographs and they were no longer sure that Denmark would lose. Unfortunately we lost 0-1, but it didn’t really seem to matter after meeting two members of Depeche Mode! Meeting Alan and Andy made me realise that Depeche Mode really are ordinary people like you and me. There’s no need to behave differently in their presence or because of them, but I doubt that I would behave more controlled if it were to happen again…
Lena Hamburg
Kobenhavn, Denmark

demoderus

Administrator
BONG CONVENTION PRAGUE 1997
[From Bong 34, December 1997. Words: "Kirsty + Katherine".]
Summary: A brief account from two English fans who travelled to Prague for a fan convention. This piece is a great advert for... Poland.

The International Bong Convention in Prague – 11.10.97

We took the Metro to Vltavska station where the convention was being held but when we arrived I could not see a sign for “Belmondo”. We walked around for a short while and saw some lads with DM on their rucksacks so we knew we were in the right place. We sat on the wall waiting for the doors to open.

Two lads came over to talk to us who were from Poland. Shortly after, the rest of their group came over to talk to us. They spoke quite good English and seemed very surprised that we’d come all the way from England. We chatted about concerts, and songs from “Speak And Spell” to “Ultra”. They shared their vodka, beer and even involved us in their photo-taking with the Polish fan club banner. One of the lads, Kamil, took two T-shirts out of his rucksack for us to wear with their logo, which was a great honour.

The Convention went well and the lads were around most of the night. We bought them beers in exchange for the T-shirts, as we had nothing else to give them. There was a raffle, karaoke, two live bands which were quite good and the Czech premier of the “Useless” video causing an amazing atmosphere in the audience. The star prize was a pair of Martin Gore’s trousers which I wish we had won! But never mind we had a great time anyway. The Polish lads even made sure we got on the right metro home. Good job too because we would more than likely have gone the wrong way.

We would like to thank Bong for the Convention and the Polish lads – Kamil & co. Thanks for all your kindness, you made the long trip worthwhile.

Kirsty + Katherine
Eastbourne, W. Sussex, England