19.2 KB · Views: 59
  • bong40_6.jpg
    bong40_6.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 61

demoderus

Administrator
SINGLES DIARY
[From Bong 40, June 1999. Words: Jez Webb.]
Summary: An itinerary of the European leg of the Singles 86-98 Tour as seen through the eyes of one of the tour crew. Engaging, but not as funny as Daryl Bamonte's Devotional epic.

Being one of the essential members of Depeche Mode’s crew and working as guitar technician for Martin Gore on the last two tours, Jez Webb offers us his personal account of the day-to-day affairs during the European leg of the Singles tour, which he compiled especially for Bong magazine.

September 1st, TRAVEL DAY – Probably not the most useful air-miles I’ll ever receive but at least Estonian Airlines got us safely to our destination and the in-flight puppet show made a change from watching a Hollywood box office hit.

September 2nd, TARTU – Four years on from the last Depeche Mode tour and the Gods are smiling. The sun beams down on the outdoor concrete bowl known as the Song Festival Grounds, even a swarm of butterflies descended on the stage… well one landed on Martin during sound-check. A break from live work means it takes the guys a while to get going and warm up, literally. The warm sunny day, long gone… Halfway through the set Dave comes over: “Good crowd tonight… and lots of flags. I might grab the ‘Union Jack’ and wrap it round myself.” “Oh, very patriotic Dave.” “Not really, it’s the nearest one and I’m f***ing freezing.” As first gigs go, this was pretty good – new recruits Peter Gordeno (keys) and Christian Eigner (drums), plus Janet and Jordan (backing vocals) can tick their first Depeche Mode show off and earned their colours.

September 3rd, RIGA – Latvians could have huddled around their TV sets today to watch Mr. Martin Gore eating a light lunch before heading off to do a sound-check. Now I can see only two reasons for this piece of television planning. Firstly Martin has signed a lucrative deal with a Latvian bakery for product placement or secondly Depeche Mode are causing quite a stir on their arrival in this part of the world. The latter proved to be correct as over 6000 people are squashed into Riga’s indoor tennis hall creating a sauna style atmosphere inside. The guys leave the stage dripping.

September 4th, TRAVEL DAY TO MOSCOW – Today was one of those days I like to refer to as “submarine duty”. Twenty eight hours spent on a bus as it crossed the border into “Mother Russia” and made the long journey towards Moscow… you don’t come up for air much on this sort of trip. Our tour convoy was held at a small Russian village for nearly six hours while a customs point there ‘sorted out’ some paperwork. Local children descended on us and happily spoilt their evening meal by consuming large amounts of British crisps and chocolate. At least when their mums sent them to their rooms, they could pass the time by sticking the Depeche Mode postcards we gave them on the walls. It was also here that four gentlemen in army fatigues and carrying guns, sent by the promoter, joined us. To help us on our journey, just in case there was any trouble!!!

September 5th, MOSCOW – This colossal indoor arena was built for the 1980 Olympic Games. Tonight, Depeche Mode’s first show in Russia is attended by nearly thirty thousand Muscovites. Halfway through the show Martin is concerned that the ones down the front seem a bit glum. We later realise that the barrier has started to collapse and a line of soldiers now form a human alternative. I’m sure during “Somebody” I saw them swaying along though. The evening proves to be one of the great Depeche Mode moments. The crowd were fantastic and probably haven’t had this much fun in the arena since the US boycotted those Olympics in 1980 and the Russians asked ‘Uncle Sam’ to hang another gold around Nadia’s neck… thanks a lot.

September 7th, ST. PETERSBURG – The ending of ‘The Cold War’ has resulted in a move closer to world peace in our time, and several Red Army soldiers with nothing better to do than help us load heavy boxes in, ready for tonight’s show. The Russians may have come off second best, in the race to put a man on the moon but tonight a young girl is the first to set foot on the Depeche Mode stage this tour. Congratulations!

September 8th, TRAVEL DAY TO HELSINKI – Andy Franks manages to buy a Depeche Mode Russian doll set from a St. Petersburg market. Some entrepreneur working through the night… was the paint still wet?

September 9th, HELSINKI – The band’s best ever performance in Finland hailed the local press. We had to point out to them it was the lads’ ‘first ever performance’ in Finland…

September 10th, TRAVEL DAY – Spend most of the day on a ferry. Meet two guys from England who are following the band on the whole of the European Tour… are you sure that rucksack’s big enough? [1]

September 11th, COPENHAGEN – Backstage some of Scandinavia’s finest celebrities can be spotted, also Ace of Base are there. The band are invited to an Aqua after show party (they are playing in town tonight) but are thankfully saved from that ordeal by the fact that Mr. Tim Simenon is doing a guest DJ appearance at a club that evening.

September 12th, GOTHENBURG – “The best ever Depeche Mode show I’ve seen. Lights, sound, band performance, and crowd reaction. Outstanding! It all came together tonight.” Not my words, but Mr. Andy Franks, who’s seen a couple of shows in his time. “Guitar changes and tuning done at the optimum efficiency, showing true professionalism”… oh alright they’re my words!

September 13th, STOCKHOLM – The giant white ball (surprisingly) on the outskirts of the city plays host to us tonight. This impressive building is packed as another sell out show gets underway. Unfortunately the cold that has been going through the touring party finally claims Dave. Twenty years in the business, a small cold isn’t going to stop him and he battles on through the set. Mr. Anton Corbijn makes an appearance to take some live shots. I’m sure he’ll turn up again though… he needs the practice so he can get a couple in focus at least.

[1] - That will be the people who wrote this article.

Please Login or Register to view hidden text.

Last edited:

demoderus

Administrator
September 15th, PRAGUE – A mass crowd, shoe-horned into the hall are rowdy from the off. A good noisy gig, which was enjoyed by the entire band. I even noticed a few people from Poland, maybe not a shock to you… so okay they were smiling!!

September 16th, VIENNA – Trouble for the trucks at the border, which means they don’t arrive in Vienna until midday, but a good team effort makes everything ready to go by the time the doors are opened. This is Christian’s hometown gig. Mr. & Mrs. Eigner and young Eigner’s friends look very happy with son / chum’s new band performance. The unveiling of his city centre statue is expected soon. During the show “Projectorhead”, the video operator, is standing by to get European football scores from his girlfriend via mobile phone. Martin is all grins as the Gunners take the lead against Lens and we are all cheering by the time Man Utd squander a two goal lead to be drawn level by Barcelona.

September 18-19th, BERLIN – This venue is an outdoor amphitheatre built to accommodate around 12,000 fanatics of a certain Mr. Hitler. That’s the Nazi dictator, not the lesser known trombone player who was around the same time and whose career was blighted by his namesake (difficult getting bookings for a world tour). We played here on the last tour. It rained throughout the gig and the stage had to be mopped after each song. We gave the good Lord a two day opportunity to drench us this time, thankfully he didn’t pick up on the option. It’s an impressive sight looking out from stage on a wall of people as they rise up away from you. “Never Let Me Down Again” had the obligatory arm waving, which got a few of us crew grabbing for our cameras.

September 20th, ERFURT – This large, faceless, hangar like building looks as if it might be more at home housing the German Sausage Convention than a rock show. Today is Sunday and the wonders of satellite TV and our excellent tour caterers mean it is like a home from home. After Yorkshire puddings with all the trimmings, we huddle into the back lounge of the bus to watch Arsenal beat Man Utd 3-0. Martin left grinning again by his team and a little bit of England is created in a German car park.

September 22nd, BRUSSELS – I’ll remember this show for a great version of “Personal Jesus” and a nice touch by the Belgian crowd. Lots of white balloons thrown around before the encores.

September 25th, ZURICH – The band are halfway through “It’s No Good” and all is not well. Dave’s voice is beginning to crack. Hot honey and lemon is run out to him between songs until he gets a break when Martin takes over to sing a few numbers. Reminiscent of a boxing match Dave staggers to his corner to be patched up. Several lozenges and soothing brews and embrocations later he returns to courageously finish the set.

September 26th, BOLOGNA – Dave appears to be on the road to recovery. As the set progresses and as his voice doesn’t suffer, the band become more relaxed and the first show in Italy turns out to be a cracker.

September 27th, MILAN – Our short but sweet visit to Italy ends here in Milan. Martin has his wife and daughters out for the show. His eldest happily tickles the ivories during soundcheck and having heard Fletch’s son sing a rousing version of “Postman Pat” in rehearsals the Depeche Mode legacy seems likely to live on. After the show the band, in true rock fashion, leave to a waiting plane to return to Britain.

September 29-30th, LONDON – The band’s homecoming, a couple of sell out shows and a wide range of “stars” in the crowd. Top footballer Gary Lineker, Madness’ frontman Suggs and the highly acclaimed author of “A Brief History Of Time” Prof. Stephen Hawking and family, to name but a few! After the first show the band threw a party for close friends, crew and a few familiar faces that have worked for the band on previous tours. Entertainment was provided by ‘Peter and Lee’. A duo made up of Martin singing and Peter giving piano accompaniment. By the end of the evening several people were getting up and giving it their best and some their worse. An impromptu song and dance routine by Dave of “Singing In The Rain” earned a standing ovation.

October 2nd, MANCHESTER – “Certain days in this job are like any other. We set the gear up, we took it all down and in between there was a good show. Apart from that there is nothing else really to write.

October 3rd, BIRMINGHAM – Near the end of the show, Martin realises the zip on his trousers has been undone… the horror, the horror. Maybe we could start running a competition in the future: Name the show and song Martin had his flies undone, answers on a postcard please. Full marks to the person who was holding the flashing neon cross during “Personal Jesus”. Looked good.

October 5-6th. COLOGNE – “Went to bed in Birmingham and woke up in Cologne”… I think a European blues singer once sang. Playing a new arena, which only opened recently. Last night “The Kelly Family” played – an Irish band that now live and play in Germany, who have become very popular. Nevertheless I despise them as much as UB40! Today MTV catch up with us, a company that is surely in danger of being sued if they fill any more air-time with lame game shows and moronic “real life” (I’ll be the judge of that!) programmes instead of MUSIC. Anyway MTV is filming one of the shows to air sometime in late November / early December… I think. Watch it to relive memories or to see what you’ve been missing.

October 7th, PARIS – I awake to the sound of accordions and do what most French do in the morning – proceed to a street-side cafe to drink coffee and chomp on a few raw onions. The city is one of the most cultural in the world and we spend the day inside the venue – the show turns out to be another classic though.

October 11th, FRANKFURT – While we’re away, we play table football – a very popular way to pass the hours before shows. The band decide to have a knockout competition. Contenders for the title are Christian (strong drummer’s wrists and a good shot from the back!) and past masters Fletch and Martin. Unfortunately for the lads, the script hadn’t been read by the French wardrobe girl Flo, who goes on to emulate her country’s performance in the World Cup and win.

October 13th, MUNICH – The final date of our quite extensive coverage of Germany. As the Bavarian winter winds begin to blow, we board the bus for warmer climates and head south to Spain.

October 15-17th – ZARAGOZA, BARCELONA AND SAN SEBASTIAN – Another table football competition won by Flo – we are still awaiting the results of her dope test! Spain give us enthusiastic crowds and welcome autumnal sunshine.

So the European tour comes to an end, the Band fly to London straight after the San Sebastian show and we, the crew, awake bleary eyed at Bilbao airport the following morning and do the same. Here endeth my tour diary. All names mentioned have NOT been changed, so if they’ve done something wrong it’s their fault. Thank you very much.

demoderus

Administrator
SHOWS IN THEIR EYES
[From Bong 40, June 1999. Words: Various contributors.]
Summary: Bong readers contribute their memories of the Depeche Mode concerts they've seen.

Moscow – 05/09/08

After I got to the Depeche Mode concert on 5th September I do believe that dreams come true. What a strange feeling I had coming up to the large grey Olympisky building with my friend on that legendary day. The square before the venue was filled with people who were dressed in black. They were wandering around the place, throwing puzzled looks at each other. Surely, no one could concede Depeche Mode were so close to us for the first time in so many years. After we got into the hall. We had to stand in line and wait until the guards checked the tickets. Oh, they were so slow and the beginning of the show was getting closer with every minute. When we finally passed the door we rushed to the arena and felt a great joy. We stopped near the stage and got to talk to some fellow fans who were waiting for the band to arrive at the airport and who accompanied them to their hotel. It was a very pleasant conversation and their eyes were shining after the events they had experienced. Little by little the crowd grew bigger and at the beginning of the show there were so many people, that I could hardly breathe or move. When Purity came on, the only thing I was thinking about was: “Will I survive till Dave appears on stage?” All my strength was set on trying not to be smashed by the throng. Time was creeping along really slow and after Purity finished, there was a long break. After a while, we noticed a man coming from the depths of the stage. He drew nearer with a weird smile on his face and the crowd stiffened in astonishment – the man was Dave! At that moment the lights went out and the adorable and familiar music attacked our ears and hearts. The crowd blew up with one big utter scream. All inconveniences were forgotten at once and people were reaching up with their hands, dancing, shrieking, screaming and singing al the songs along with the band. I hope the guys were happy to see and hear such a great support. Dave seemed to be quite surprised that Russians knew the English words to every song they performed. He was screaming out: “That’s right! That’s right!” when we were singing some pieces without his help. Fletch and Martin were smiling constantly… And Anton’s videos were really cute! Well, it was an unforgettable evening. I stood on the dance floor deafened, slammed, wet, gasping… but absolutely happy! Svetlana Gorodova, Moscow, Russia

Berlin – 18/09/98

Three friends of mine and I went to the first concert in Berlin which was absolutely marvellous! Depeche Mode were really at their best. It was a brilliant gig and I think the band really enjoyed themselves as the crowd went totally nuts at every single song. I was standing in maybe fourth or fifth row and I could see the guys laughing several times. On the 19th September we went to the venue again cause we thought we might get some cheap tickets for the gig: NO WAY! Some people still paid 200DM (about £70) even as the concert was already running!!! We enjoyed the show anyway from outside and afterwards we went to the party. The music there was rather boring as the DJ only played the normal studio album versions of DM songs, with very few remixes and live tracks. There were some DM videos shown on a screen but because of the light show (which was brilliant by the way) you could hardly see anything. Tim Plachner, Wilnsdorf, Germany

London – 29/09/98

What an excellent show! The boys have done it again, every song was performed brilliantly – I enjoyed every minute. I missed The Devotional Tour as I couldn’t make the dates, so the last time I saw DM perform was in 1990 and it was well worth the wait. The view was excellent as I got my tickets through Bong and I would like to thank you and Depeche Mode for this. If I was any closer I would have been on stage. The merchandise was excellent as well. I’m drinking out of my mug as I type and I will be wearing my dog tags with pride. I have also bought the album and video and have not stopped playing them both. The new single and tour now lay to rest rumours that they can’t carry on without Alan. David Swainsbury, Dagenham, England

London – 30/09/98

The second night at Wembley. How can it possibly be better than last night? But it is! The crowd are ecstatic and everyone wants to be at the front. Somehow I’ve managed to get in the same spot as last night, so close to the stage. Everybody seems to be even more enthusiastic than yesterday, if that’s possible. Depeche Mode are welcomed to the stage with a roar of delight. Wembley is really rocking. I can take in a little more, relishing favourite songs like “It’s No Good”, “In Your Room” and “Enjoy The Silence”. I try to get a better look at the video backdrops, which are hugely entertaining, especially the video for “Walking In My Shoes”. It’s fun to see the band dressed as famous names, such as Sid Vicious, David Bowie, Gary Glitter and a member of Kraftwerk. Well done to Anton for a very witty idea. I heard a few people commenting that they thought the stage set was cut down, but to me it seems to fit the theme of The Singles Tour very well. I feel I must be getting old, as after four hours on my feet, dancing away, I am exhausted. I wish I had some of Dave’s energy to pick me up. It’s well worth it though and, once again, at the end of the show, I go home content. Sarah Schaschke, Middlesbrough, England

demoderus

Administrator
Birmingham – 03/10/98

It’s a long haul down to Birmingham for this sad day, the last UK date on The Singles Tour. The tickets sent by Bong turn out to be really close to the front, just to the left of the stage. A great spot and loads of room to dance about. Once again the crowd is really up for it. The show is marvellous. The band are obviously enjoying it as much as the fans. I wonder whether Dave knows where the Bong ticket holder are, as he seemed to make a point of coming over to wave a couple of times, much to our delight. Dave is dancing his socks off, and so are we. Every song is superbly delivered, Martin and Dave’s voices are so strong and clear. All credit to the backing musicians too, whose assistance is invaluable on this tour. No one could have gone home without hearing a favourite or two. My top song was “In Your Room” – total quality, performed to perfection. I have a lump in my throat as, after two encores, the band leave the stage, but I’ve had such a great time. What more can I say? Thanks for still being here, lads, you know we “Just Can’t Get Enough!”. Sarah Schaschke, Middlesbrough, England

Cologne – 05/10/98

The second concert I went to was October 5 in Cologne. The venue was absolutely fantastic. The Koln Arena was sold out with about 18000 people in attendance. My friends and I had some ticket problems before the show, so the Arena crew invited us to see the show from the so-called Club Boxes, which turned out to be the best seats in the whole Arena! It was good to enjoy the show from a bit further away from the stage. The concert was, of course, brilliant! Tim Plachner, Wilnsdorf, Germany

Paris – 07/10/98

I had a great opportunity to see Depeche Mode on stage in Paris. The emotion and pleasure I felt then were so great that I still can’t find the words to describe it. As it was the first time, I didn’t know what to expect. When the support group Purity came on and finally disappeared, my excitement grew. Suddenly, the arena went dark and the crowd was so impatient to see the guys come on stage that it had literally exploded when they finally appeared. When I saw Dave, I thought that he had never been more handsome and that his voice had never been more beautiful than it was then. The way Dave inflames the audience is so fabulous, he moves and dances so well, and he knows what is going to make us hysterical, especially when he twirls his buttocks! It was a delight to hear Martin play a lot of guitar. I love him very much and I felt fulfilled when he performed those three tender songs on stage on his own. The stage had a beautiful design too and the video of their fashion parade was totally unexpected and pleasant! Each of the band members looked so gorgeous and sexy… Obviously, the performance had to come to an end and Martin, Dave and Andy left the arena under a huge applause. At that very moment, I felt such an emptiness inside me as I couldn’t believe it was already over. Nevertheless, I had been waiting for that day for 13 years and it was well worth it. Sandrine Schmitt, Saint Germain, France

Frankfurt 11/10/98

The last concert I visited was in Frankfurt on October the 11th. We decided to party again and got tix for the inner room. We were right in front of the stage and the gig was totally mad. After “Just Can’t Get Enough” the whole crowd kept on singing and the band was just standing on the stage smiling at us as if they couldn’t believe what was going on… The trip was really worth every second of waiting. It was absolutely UNBELIEVABLE!!! Tim Plachner, Wilnsdorf, Germany

Barcelona – 16/10/98

I was lucky enough to see the guys playing live during The Singles Tour in Zurich and Barcelona. What a blast! I was completely smashed with the power they engendered. Like D.A. Pennebaker said in 1988: “When we meet them ‘normally’, they aren’t impressive at all, but when we see them in concert, we are completely bewitched by their strength.” And he was absolutely right! I didn’t know that such a powerful thing could exist anywhere on Earth, and now I’ve found it… Depeche Mode. Vanina Moreillon, Sion, Switzerland.

Anaheim, USA – 22/12/98

I attended one of the Depeche Mode concerts last year and I must say that it left me literally speechless. For being such a huge Depeche Mode fan this, unfortunately yet fortunately, was my first concert that I was able to attend. The show they put on was so wonderful! I still can’t believe I was actually there. I’ve tried to tell people just how great they actually were but it seems that no one really truly cares. To understand you have to be a true Modie, and unfortunately the people around me aren’t. The energy that was put into it by the band was so much that I became overwhelmed by this energy. I didn’t sit down once during their entire performance, and needless to say I lost my voice after for a few days. I must say that I can tell the difference in their sound without the influence of Alan but just the same they were magnificent. Dave looked so great and so full of life, Martin looked just as gorgeous and sexy as ever and Fletch looked just as happy as always. I’d like to thank DM for being such an inspiration… I know this sounds like a cliché but they have made me realise just how important music is not only to me but to others, and I hope to one day capture the audience just as they did. As they played “Never Let Me Down Again”, “Personal Jesus”, “Enjoy The Silence” etc., they had the lights on the audience and everyone’s hands were waving in the air in the same direction and it was just an awesome sight. That really let me know the power that music has over people and I one day hope to possess that same power that they have over me. I can only imagine what they feel when they see the audience like that, loving them and their music. I want to also thank them for the perfect evening. It was perfect and nothing less! Stephanie Mary, La Mirada, USA

demoderus

Administrator
HANGING OUT WITH DEPECHE MODE
[From Bong 40, June 1999. Words: Kate Nikolaeva.]
Summary: A Russian fan's story as she helps arrange trips to see Depeche Mode in Prague, Helsinki and Russia, and manages (quite by chance) to meet Dave in person.

Although Depeche Mode have never been to Russia before and we didn’t find any Russian dates on their Singles Tour list (before they were announced), nobody was surprised. So we decided to use a well-known oriental wisdom which is “If the mountain doesn’t go toward Mohammed, Mohammed will approach the mountain.”

A friend of mine named Alexei suggested that we should organise a trip to see DM in concert. We chose the shows that would take place in the cities nearest to Moscow. Those were Helsinki and Prague, so we decided to buy 65 tickets to Helsinki and 70 to Prague. After that we found a tourist agency that was interested in the arrangements of our trip and volunteered to take care of its organisation, transportation, accommodation etc. However, soon we realised that Depeche Mode were going to give concerts in both Moscow and St. Petersburg. Then came the panic! Someone became hysterical with excitement, others were thinking of ways not just to see the concerts but also to meet their idols personally. As for me, being quite a stingy person, shame on me, I was in a panic, because now that DM intended to come to Russia, no one would pay for the tour and travel as far as either Helsinki or Prague. However it turned out to be a false alarm, because after many years of hopeless waiting, a couple of shows would not be enough for over-excited fans. Consequently our special tour was immediately sold our. Finally the moment came…

I must admit that up until the very last moment I could not believe that the dream would ever come true and Depeche Mode would finally arrive in Russia. To be more exact, I did believe but I was afraid that something would happen and DM’s trip to Russia would be cancelled. The tickets became available a month before the first show. All the tickets were almost sold out during the first day. Official ticket prices were $30 and $7-15 but black market prices were twice that much before the concert, and a ticket was as much as $150 on the day of the concert. Nevertheless, the price did not matter. People came from all over Russia, covering a distance longer than that from Helsinki to Lisbon, ready to give everything just to see DM with their own eyes for the first time in their life. Depeche Mode were supposed to arrive at 4pm on September 4th at Vnukovo airport in Moscow. I went to the airport to make sure they really came. We were anxiously looking at the airfield in anticipation and staring at the bus that was coming towards us. When it finally got closer we could see Andy’s red hair, and in the next window we saw Martin smiling and waving his hand toward us. We lost our self-control and began yelling and shouting. We were trying to take pictures. Those who had a car, got into it and followed the bus – the rest had to use public transport. We were happy! Some of us were sharing impressions of what we had just seen, others were just standing with idiotic smiles on their faces – one young man kept shouting the same phrase “I have seen Martin!” over and over as though he had just seen a ghost.

The very first DM show in my life was to take place on September 5, and I wanted to see it from the very beginning to the very end. So I bought a ticket to the VIP balcony, which is situated not far from the stage. The seats there are usually reserved for celebrities or business people who come to watch the performance. The ticket cost me $170, which is quite expensive. However, this was a kind of guarantee that I would not be squeezed in the crowd and faint. The only thought in my head was: “I am going to see DM soon”. With the sounds of their first chords, the crowd exploded with shouts. Everybody stood up – there was not a single person seated even on the VIP balcony, which is extraordinary in itself. Everyone was so happy that nobody noticed any lapses which happened during the concert and were immediately noticed by reporters. Later they wrote about the concert with criticism. The journalists blamed Depeche Mode for the lack of magnificence and splendour which their concerts used to have. However, I think they do not need expensive shows with dazzling special effects to attract spectators. Dave was a little bit timid during the first couple of tunes, however, feeling strong support from the audience, he changed. There was one other thing which was really annoying, that the sound was not so good, because of the incorrect position of the stage. By the way, many musicians used to make the same mistake performing on this stage, except for Pink Floyd. The concert was finished in an instant, and I felt a little sorry that everything was over. The only thought which warmed my heart was that I had three more concerts to go to; St. Petersburg, Helsinki and Prague.

Depeche Mode stayed in Moscow the following day, but we had to set off early for St. Petersburg. DM had an aeroplane at their disposal, we had to use the bus especially rented to take us to the concert. The bus was to depart from the square outside the hotel where DM as staying. Those who came beforehand enjoyed a dazzling show in the hotel lobby by Martin and Peter, who was on the piano.

demoderus

Administrator
We arrived in St Petersburg on 7th September, the day the concert was to take place. DM were supposed to land in the afternoon. We also wanted to find some local DM fans to find out what airport the band would arrive at and in what hotel they would be staying at. However none of them could tell us anything positive. We logically deduced that they would land at Pulkovo-1 airport, so we went there and met a small group of fans. Having learned that we are from Moscow they told us the following: “Hey, what have you come here for? You’ve already seen DM in Moscow, so get out of here and let us meet them in our native city!” Of course we did not go anywhere, and inquired at the airport administration as to where Depeche Mode would land. Imagine how surprised we were when they told us that no one knew anything for sure. Even the representatives responsible for meeting DM in St Petersburg were running around the airport, unsure of where and when they were to meet the band. We waited for two hours, but it seemed to us that the whole idea was useless and we decided to leave. The time of the concert had come and we went to the stadium. It was a bit disappointing to see spectators on the back benches who were less than enthusiastic and had no idea of what to do, for example, when “NLMDA” started. In the stalls, these were people hardly worth a mention, although I think I should. They would push you, grab you by the hair and throat, they would choke you or make you fall down. They were either drunk or on drugs, quite a terrible experience. It was the reason why many of us, including myself, had to leave the crowd. This was really scary. The squash was so strong that only three of us managed to stand there through the whole concert. One girl from our group was separated from us in the crowd and fell down under the pressure. More than ten feet stepped on her before someone appeared to help her back up – it was a miracle she did not break any bones. It’s hard to believe there really are people like that! Shame on you St. Petersburg! Where is your compassion! (I do not want to insult all the people of St. Petersburg as I know many of them that are nice. But the fact remains that all those terrible things still happened to us).

Right after the concert we set off to Moscow where we changed buses and left for Helsinki. When we arrived at the stadium we spent large amounts of money on DM merchandise, it was a big mistake not to bring any merchandise to Russia – someone has lost a lot of money. Our seats in the hall were at the back, which made me very happy for I could watch the show without risking my life. I must say that Finnish spectators showed their emotions in a reserved way, looking with suspicion at our gang who were jumping and shouting. They warmed up by “Just Can’t Get Enough”, but that was the end of the concert.

Depeche Mode continued their tour around Scandinavia, but we had to go back to Moscow. The next show we were going to travel to was Prague. We decided to stay more than one day in Prague, in order to see the beautiful sights of the city as well as seeing our favourites in concert. Throughout our stay in Prague we constantly faced different problems. Circumstances seemed to be against our wish to have a good time. We arrived on September 14 at night, although we were supposed to arrive in the morning – so we went sightseeing on September 15, the day of the concert. At first we headed to Charles Bridge which, to me, was the right choice. There were a lot of tourists as well as DM fans. Therefore we were not surprised to see a group of stylish guys dressed in black jackets. I do not know why, but my friends assumed they were Italians. I wondered if they were just Italian tourists or DM fans. I began watching them intently. I was stunned, almost shocked, when I saw someone among those “Italians” whom I did not intend to see there. I recognised him regardless of the sunglasses he was wearing – it was the nose. Who could have such a nose? Of course it was Dave! When I realised who was standing next to me I went crazy. I was worried that Dave could immediately disappear, though it would have been difficult as he was right in the middle of Charles Bridge, so the only thing he could do as jump into the river. He certainly did not intend to do so. Then a thought occurred to me that was even worse – my camera was out of film! I grabbed a friend of mine, who had a camera, and started shaking her violently, saying: “This is Dave! Go ahead, take pictures.” At first she did not understand what I wanted from her, when she finally realised, she behaved in a more civilised way than I did. She approached Dave, greeted him and asked him a couple of usual questions. He told us that he really liked the concert in Moscow, he liked the audience and that he had enjoyed all their concerts so far. After that we asked him if he would mind us taking some pictures of him. Dave answered that he was enjoying his free time at the moment and was not quite in the mood for having his picture taken. We said OK, but we couldn’t resist, walked back two steps and took one! Sorry Dave. We then followed Dave over the bridge, and then along the street. While walking I had almost recovered from the shock, then I noticed that Dave was not alone. Beside his bodyguard there was Peter, Tim Simenon, Jonathan Kessler and some people I did not know. Frankly, I did not expect to become so excited and I behaved foolishly, but everything was so unexpected. Strange that nobody else recognised Dave on the bridge, as there really were quite a number of DM fans. It is unbelievable, but while we were strolling around with Dave, some other guys from our Moscow gang met Martin not far from a big department store in Prague. Having recovered from what we had experienced we shared everything with our companions. Thereafter we boarded the bus and headed for the stadium where the concert was to take place. However we faced one more serious problem – with its ancient architecture Prague is full of very small bridges which our double-decker could not pass under. We were driving along the streets of the city, trying to find a way to the stadium, this took some time and we were nearly late for the concert. When “A Question Of Time” started everyone was jumping like hell, but after that everyone calmed down and I decided to make my way towards the front, so by the middle of the concert I was really close to the stage. The show was just great – evidently Depeche Mode must like Prague. They were at their best, and Dave was moving stunningly on the stage, it was just incredible. The show was the best of the four I have seen.

The trip to Berlin was not a mass event. My friend and I just decided to spend a week in the city and recover from everything. We originally planned to arrive in Berlin when the DM concerts were already over, however due to some problems we got there a few days earlier on the exact days of the shows. We thought that since we arrived when the concerts were taking place, why not listen to DM one more time. We got to Berlin on the evening of September 18, and after deciding to relax a little, we skipped that night’s show – we did not have tickets anyway. The day after we found our friends, who had come to Berlin from various cities and countries for the concert, so we joined them. However the problem was that neither my friend nor myself had tickets. The price was twice as high, my friend said it was too expensive and she could do without this concert, but I had made up my mind to see the show once more. The concert in Berlin took place at a huge stadium and the impression was quite different.

I want to thank you, Depeche Mode, for your existence, for helping us to enjoy life and make it more interesting. We will always long for you and love you! Thank you one more time!

demoderus

Administrator
I MET THAT BLOKE FROM DEPECHE MODE ONCE
[From Bong 40, June 1999. Words: Various contributors.]
Summary: In a far briefer feature than is normal for Bong, fans remember occasions when they got to meet members of Depeche Mode.

I just thought I had to tell you how myself and a friend met Andy on Good Friday at a bar in West London. He was watching the football while Dave and Martin were doing some vocals in a studio down the road. Andy told us the vocals were for 4 new tracks and he said Dave was sounding better than ever. He also told us, there will be a tour starting in September. After speaking to him we noticed how genuine he was. He spoke to us as if we knew him and we also had a good laugh with him which was cool.
Keith Noon & Mark Walsh
England

During the summer of last year I went to see my 2nd favourite band U2 in concert at Wembley. I was privileged to have a pass to the private lounge bar before the concert and as it was such a warm evening I took myself and my white wine out onto the veranda and watched the masses converging beneath the twin towers. As I turned to return to the bar it was then that I saw the most wonderful vision – Dave, in his trendy brown suit looking as gorgeous as ever. Seeing Dave made my evening and my year! It was great to see him looking so fantastic. My biggest regret – I was too shy to speak to him. More Devoted than ever Dave!
Jane Russell
Staines, Middlesex