Articles:
The Private Singles Tour (tour diary) by Harvey Edgcombe
Shows In Their Eyes by various contributors
I Met That Bloke From Depeche Mode Once by various contributors

demoderus

Administrator
THE PRIVATE SINGLES TOUR
[From Bong 41, September 1999. Words: Harvey Edgcombe.]
Summary: Now this is what I call Devotion. A British fan's diary as he follows Depeche Mode through all 32 dates of the European leg of the Singles tour in Autumn 1998. Not only an outstanding achievement but a tribute to the community of fans in several countries who assisted him at the drop of a hat.

When I started planning this trip back in May 1998, to attend all the concerts was an impossible task. Not being part of the crew made it a very expensive experience, and phoning up individual venues to obtain tickets was difficult when the person knew no English. But with the help of DM fans on the Internet, most of the concerts were covered and the ambition to do all 32 concerts became a possibility. Note that this does not include the American leg – this proved to be just too expensive to do them all! My friend Shaun Salter who travelled along with me (sometimes) did most of the concerts as well, but had to miss a week after the UK concerts due to work commitments. Most of the concerts have been reviewed in detail by local people; the intention of my diary is just to give people a feeling of what it is like to follow DM around Europe.

Pre-Tour

Since the tour was announced in May 1998, I have been frantically on the phone or Internet getting information on where to obtain tickets for all the gigs. Also I obtained an International Rail timetable to ensure that it would be possible to travel and get to all of the concerts. About three months was spent obtaining tickets for most of the gigs, and planning the trains around Europe. The decision to do Estonia, Latvia and Russia was taken at the beginning of August, so a frantic three weeks to organise visa for Russia, flights, trains even though we did not have tickets!

1st September 98 – London to Tallinn, Estonia

Flew out from London to Tallinn, Estonia, via Vienna. A missed flight connection at Vienna meant that we had to fly via Vilnius, Latvia [sic] and then on to Tallinn, Estonia from there. Of course on arrival at Tallinn, the baggage went missing! This turned up at the hotel later that night. Met some Estonia DM Fan Club members at the airport who had secured my tickets for Tartu and Riga.

2nd September 98 – Tartu, Estonia

The Estonian Fan Club gave us a lift by car from Tallinn to Tartu. A quick dash to the airport to see DM arrive by plane. There was quite a reception there for them, and we drove back in convoy to the venue. Not the sort of thing we can do in England! The venue was an open-air arena, and being the first night the anticipation was high. A good crowd of people were gathering around the entrance for the 6 o’clock doors open. A long wait for Purity was greeted enthusiastically from the crowd but this was nothing compared to when DM came on stage just after 9pm. Opening with “A Question Of Time”, the crowd went absolutely wild, it was difficult to stay on one’s feet, and after about four songs I had moved three-foot from my original position just from the movement of the crowd! Being the first concert there were a few technical hitches, Dave looked a bit nervous for the first four songs but soon settled into the groove. Martin’s mike could have been turned up a bit, as he was very distant on “Home”. In all a good first concert, the crowd went home very happy, and the weather held – just as well for an open-air concert. After the concert we all got in the car and drove to Riga, Latvia overnight along with several other fans. Getting lost in Latvia was fun, as there were no road signs!

3rd September 98 – Riga, Latvia

After some sleep, had a quick look around Riga, a small pleasant city. On the way back to the hotel, bumped into Janet and Jordan. Then we went to the Tennis Hall at Jurmala, on the outskirts of Riga. When the taxi driver did not know where the venue was, we got a bit worried, but he eventually found it okay. After Tartu the venue was a bit disappointing, very small. Around 5000 people packed into the tennis hall, and boy did it get hot. A spirited performance by DM, the acoustics not very good, but the Latvian crowd really went wild and it was great to hear them singing the choruses with full gusto. Afterwards went to the after party in the centre of Riga and ended up staying there till 5am before heading back to the hotel for some much needed sleep.

4th September 98 – Riga / Moscow

A day off sightseeing in Riga, then overnight by train from Riga to Moscow. This is the only border control in the world that I have passed through where the border guard, in plain English said “good luck” as he handed back my passport!

5th September 98 – Moscow, Russia

Arrival at the Riga station in Moscow. As not many foreigners come in via this station, there was no money exchange, no tourist centre, nothing! After scouting the area found a department store which had a money exchange, a Metro station which at least had a map, albeit in Russian! From here I would be able to navigate anywhere. After finding our hotel it was off to the venue to try and obtain a ticket, but not speaking a word of Russian, this proved to be very difficult. Eventually obtained tickets. Later met up with Ilja from Estonia again, and he put us in touch with two other English people who had come to see DM in Moscow – two others? They were Lee North and Andrew Winter who had also come over from the UK to see DM. Venue was huge, a massive crowd and the concert was a blinder. About half way through the concert the top of the M on the DM light display fell off, making the stage look very unique! The best part of the concert was on “Somebody”, the whole arena was lit up with candles, the most I have ever witnessed. It is a moment I will never forget. Afterwards we went to a Russian bar with Estonian / Russian UK fans for some beer, pool and dancing. A good night was had by all.

6th September 98 – Moscow, Russia

Day off sightseeing, then overnight train to St. Petersburg, along with half of the other Russian DM fans! With several trains going overnight from Moscow to St. Petersburg, it was by chance that we were all on the same train, so we all met up in one compartment and organised beer drinking through the early hours of the morning. That’s what happens when four Brits meet up in a foreign country!

7th September 98 – St. Petersburg, Russia

After yet another sleepless night it was time to get up and get to the venue, situated quite a way out from St. Petersburg. Looking at the venue it was similar in style to the one in Moscow – déjà vu. After the fiasco to get in, (no queues, just a mass of people in a crush), the performance by DM was the most polished performance yet, ironing out most of the technical hitches expected to occur early on in the tour. Once again on “Somebody” the place lit up, making the arena look more like a church than a concert venue – brilliant. Afterwards we tried to get into the hotel where DM were staying, but alas we were unsuccessful. So we went to a bar around the corner and said farewell to our Russian friends who have been very good hosts the last three days. Without them we would have struggled to get around in Russia. It shows that all around the world, Dm fans help each other out.

8th September 98 – St. Petersburg, Russia.

Day off sightseeing.

demoderus

Administrator
9th September 98 – Helsinki, Finland

Took the morning train from St. Petersburg to Helsinki. Had to get a hotel on the outskirts because the centre of Helsinki was booked out – I wonder why? Met some Russian fans sightseeing in the centre, they had come by bus for 20 odd hours from Moscow to see DM in Helsinki – devotion or what? The venue was very modern, and it was the first place we had tickets for. They were seating tickets and I could not have picked a better seat, right next to the stage on the right hand side. Another polished performance by DM, the sound echoed a bit around the stadium spoilt the acoustics a bit. The crowd were brilliant, a lot of people standing and dancing in the aisles. Afterwards we bid farewell to Ilja, Lee and Andrew, but we would meet them again at Wembley, only 15 concerts away!

10th September 98 – Helsinki to Stockholm & Copenhagen

Early start to catch ferry from Turku to Stockholm. Met some of the DM stage crew on the ferry and got to know about what each of them were doing on the tour, and what other gigs they have worked on – most of them seem to have done Pink Floyd! After the 10-hour ferry journey it was straight onto the overnight train to Copenhagen from Stockholm. The crew travel by bus.

11th September 98 – Copenhagen, Denmark

After sightseeing around Copenhagen, had beers with some Danish DM fans before heading to the concert venue. A big hall type venue, it got very hot and very sticky again. “NLMDA” was done by much gusto from the crows. A fairly good concert.

12th September 98 – Gothenburg, Sweden

A day travelling by train to Gothenburg, then after a quick sightseeing tour it was once again to the venue for another polished performance by DM. We stood slightly towards the back of the stage, watching Martin swapping his guitars over between songs. Great stuff.

13th September 98 – Stockholm, Sweden

Train over to Stockholm and then to the venue. We did not have good seats for this concert so I do not remember much about it!

14th September 98 – Stockholm to Malmo

Train to Malmo to catch overnight train to Prague. This involved a three-hour ferry crossing over to Sassnitz, Germany where they actually put the train on the ferry.

15th September 98 – Prague, Czech Republic

First day washed out by rain. Met some of the Czech DM fans in Wenceslas Square, also a lot of Polish fans in attendance. It is a shame that DM did not do Poland this time around. The venue was a really cool venue, with no assigned seating or standing, just go where you want. Thus getting to the front was hard work but worth it. The crowd was brilliant.

16th September 98 – Vienna, Austria

The first of many “Messehalles” on this tour. I thought the crows were a bit reserved for what was a very good performance by DM.

17th September 98 – Vienna, Austria

Day off sightseeing in Vienna, then an overnight train to Berlin.

18/19th September 98 – Berlin, Germany

This took the “Best Venue” award; an open-air arena set near the Olympic complex, a sort of Amphitheatre sunk in some woods. From the front not only did you get a good view of DM, you also had a great view of the crowd sat all around you behind you, which made great spectacles on songs such as “NLMDA” and “Personal Jesus”. Both nights were packed out and brilliant. My only regret is that they did not change one or two songs on the second night.

20th September 98 – Erfurt, Germany

Three gigs in a row take its toll, so I wonder how the band must feel! My voice is going with all the singing and I feel really tired, some of it may be due to the many late nights I have been having recently! The concert for me was a bit of a disappointment, but that may be due to fatigue more than with the concert itself.

21st September 98 – Day off

Some much needed sleep!

22nd September 98 – Brussels, Belgium

After catching train to Brussels, met several Germans who had made the trip over the border. Forest National is a great venue, nice and compact, it had a cosy feel about it. The concert was needless to say brilliant.

23rd September 98 – Stuttgart, Germany

The train journey took all day from Belgium, but from what I saw of Stuttgart it was a very nice place. The venue was a very modern messehalle and DM gave a very slick performance.

demoderus

Administrator
24th September 98 – Munich, Germany

A day off so chose to go to Munich for the Oktoberfest. Great idea! And Great Beer!

25th September 98 – Zurich, Switzerland

The concert – it was a disaster. Dave sang wrong verse on “NLMDA” and his voice started to break up on “OWILM”. Martin sang “A Question Of Lust” and “Home”, but “Condemnation” was dropped from the set list. Two lines missed from “BOAG” due to Dave’s voice being rough. “Stripped” and “I Feel You” also dropped from the set list. In the end, a bad night. I felt sorry for the Swiss fans who would be attending this once concert only and saw DM not at their best.

26th September 98 – Bologna, Italy

A wonderful trip through the Alps by train, probably the most scenic in Europe. I met up with my sister in Bologna, come over especially to see DM in Milan, but also wanted to do Bologna. A bit apprehensive about this concert after last night, but Dave’s voice has recovered. “Condemnation” and “I Feel You” still dropped, but a welcome return to “Stripped”, even if the crowd had to sing most of it!

27th September 98 – Milan, Italy

A fantastic concert, the Italian fans went wild. The same two songs dropped as per last night, Dave now getting back on song, his voice sounding good again.

28th September 98 – Home!

After four weeks on the road, it was nice to fly home to get some clothes and catch up with a few things.

29/30th September 98 – London, England

The home gigs for me are always going to be special, and these two were good. With “Condemnation” and “I Feel You” reinstated and Dave’s voice really on song now. On the second gig, another cock up on “NLMDA”, Dave singing the second verse this time, as opposed to Zurich, so he’s balanced it all out!

2nd October 98 – Manchester, England

Awesome venue and similar to Helsinki in Finland. The crowd was really special tonight, very good concert and well polished.

3rd October 98 – Birmingham, England

The last UK gig for this tour was good. The seats at the front were a novelty as everybody stood anyway!

5/6th October 98 – Cologne, Germany

Flew out to Cologne from London and arrived at 6pm. Just enough time to get a ticket for the first concert. MTV cameras present on the first night, so a faultless performance from DM. On the second night, the crowd less vocal (MTV cameras not there?) and on “Enjoy The Silence” Martin’s guitar not sounding on the first two chords of the remix part of the song – Dave just pointing and laughing.

7th October 98 – Paris, France

Paris Bercy seemed to have grass growing on the outside of the venue – weird! Inside the venue was awesome, the acoustics were especially brilliant, the crowd were really up for it and DM played a blinder of a gig – brilliant!

8th October 98 – Paris to Hannover

Day spent travelling from Paris to Hannover by train and recharging the batteries after three gigs in a row.

9th October 98 – Hannover, Germany

Great crowd in a massive Messehalle, very wide so the acoustics not as good as Paris. In some areas of the venue it was a bit quiet. I quite liked the idea of putting that beer tent near the front of the stage!

10th October 98 – Leipzig, Germany

The second concert to be held in the former East Germany. The Messehalle was old and had character. Very loud towards the front, especially when Purity were strutting their stuff. The East Germans were very vocal, singing to every DM song.

11th October 98 – Frankfurt, Germany

Fantastic venue, the most complete show yet and the German crowd were very vocal again and very noisy, it was hard to hear DM above the din!

12th October 98 – Frankfurt to Munich

Day off so travelled to Munich, no Oktoberfest on, so a quiet night in.

13th October 98 – Munich, Germany

During the day I visited Fasson, Neuschwanstein castle which was spectacular amongst the autumnal leaves on the trees and the Alps. Off to the Olympic venue in Munich for the concert. We had seats and had a good look at the debacle going on below… When DM came on stage the barrier at the front of the stage started to give way. About 30 to 40 security people were at the front trying to hold back the barrier and the hundreds of DM fans pushing their way forward. Meanwhile more security people were trying to re-fix the barrier back in place – it must have taken an hour to get this all done. The concert sort of settled down a bit then – a good one but there was something missing.

14th October 98 – Munich to Zaragoza

This would be the toughest two days travelling yet. Train to Zurich for a train to Geneva, for an overnight train to Portbou (on the French / Spanish border) for another train to Barcelona, and then across to Zaragoza.

15th October 98 – Zaragoza, Spain

Eventually arrived at 1400hrs after travelling all day and all night and half of today again. Spanish fans queuing outside the venue already – and the doors do not open until 7pm! After all the travelling, the concert was brilliant and a bit of a relief as this was the last concert I did not have a ticket for. Now knew that I would make all 32 concerts!

16th October 98 – Barcelona, Spain

My first time in Barcelona and the city is beautiful. The venue was part of the Olympic complex, which was quite a sight to see in itself. The crowd was awesome, and the concert too was quite fantastic, the best part was on the encore of “Just Can’t Get Enough”, the crowd chanting way after the band had stopped playing.

17th October 98 – San Sebastian, Spain

The last one and it had to be good. It was good – even though the crowd was not big, and getting right to the front was easy – the singing and chanting throughout the show was magnificent. When it all ended and the lights went up, I was sad. And happy too – to have done all 32 concerts in Europe!

[The author's contact details have been omitted here.]

PS: Thanks to Ilja Judeikin, Anton Blinof and Roman for obtaining tickets for Estonia and Latvia. Also thanks to them for giving us a lift from Tallinn to Tartu and Riga by car, very much appreciated!

demoderus

Administrator
SHOWS IN THEIR EYES
[From Bong 41, September 1999. Words: Various contributors.]
Summary: In this long-running Bong feature, fans describe Depeche Mode concerts they have seen. This instalment is entirely the Singles Tour.
(due to this being a regular feature there are too many to list. The feature appears in most magazines from the mid-90s onwards: try the Bong main page for other issues.)

Copenhagen – 11/09/98

I would like to express my gratitude to Depeche Mode with this letter for their latest wonderful European tour. The first time I saw them live on that tour was in Copenhagen and I was simply overwhelmed by the show. During Martin’s performance of “Somebody” I was so impressed and moved that I had to cry throughout the entire song and I was not the only one! I also visited the shows in Gothenburg and Berlin where I had the chance to meet the three Modes backstage, which was just great! However the Brussels show was the best one up to that point. The atmosphere was simply breathtaking! The concerts in Zurich and Milan were a little disappointing because of Dave’s cracked voice. It went back to normal at my next stop in Frankfurt where Dave proved to be in great shape again. But the best show ever, with a great performance by Dave and the rest of the Band, the audience response and the overall atmosphere, happened to be in Barcelona. It was an unforgettable experience! The gig in San Sebastien was then quite sad, as it was the last concert of the European leg of the tour. Dave seemed very tired and so was I after following the band at ten shows… but it was worth it.
Anonymous
Berlin, Germany

Bologna – 26/09/98

Reading all the letters from fans in Bong 39, I have noticed that they are mostly from UK, Germany, and Canada, USA, etc… but where are all the 12000 fans who were in Milan and the 13000 fans who were in Bologna on 26th and 27th September? Believe me, my city Bologna seemed to be invaded by devotees back then. It was amazing to see how soon the Palasport filled up with fans, and the atmosphere was incredible well before the concert started. I can’t explain what went on inside of the venue when Andy, Martin and Dave appeared on stage. It was manic. I can’t really describe exactly how I felt that night but I know it will never be the same and so powerful as on that beautiful day. It was my first Depeche Mode concert and where I spent the best two hours of my life. I really want to thank everyone who was there and who helped the Band to put on such an excellent show!
Alessia Palmieri
Bologna, Italy

London – 29/09/98

Well what can I say? After three concerts and one convention I feel exhausted, no wonder the band look so tired sometimes. I practically felt as though I was personally on tour with them during that week of the Wembley dates and NEC but after five years it was well worth it. Picture this – Tuesday 29th September 1998, front row (standing of course) with Martin Gore’s microphone stand right in front of me, after being slightly deafened by a very rave-type noise, produced on stage by those ladies, which I personally felt was not appropriate for a Depeche Mode audience. Then anxiously watching Tim Simenon “doing his bit”, not really knowing what to expect from our now threesome – I just knew it would blow our heads off and that it did. “Painkiller” was a fantastic start to the show and it really got the fans going. At this point, I was protecting my rib cage waiting for a sudden surge but it never came even when Dave bolted on stage with that cheesy grin. The audience went wild and even though the frantic movements of the “SOFAD” age never appeared, a more raunchy and gentle flow of dancing appeared from the man we all probably deep down never thought would tour again. I saw new life in all the band members that night, they all looked and sounded fantastic. Martin’s voice floated above me, after all I was practically standing underneath him. I was, though, slightly disappointed that they didn’t sing “Everything Counts” and that the shows were exactly the same even when Dave made a point of telling us that Martin Gore was the man we had to thank for it all. I think we know that already, thanks for reminding us Dave!
Janie Wells
Leics, England

Leipzig – 10/10/98

After seeing our Gods twice in September and the day before in Hannover, the best concert, at least for me, was the show in Leipzig. My friend and I came directly from the Hannover gig, taking the night train, arriving at the concert hall at about 9am. Later, when a few of our pals joined us, it started to rain. We all stood together under the big umbrellas, had great fun and didn’t care about the cold and rain, as we were pretty sure that tonight would be one more highlight of the tour. Unfortunately, it was raining all day long, but as we stood in front of the stage again in the evening, we were the happiest people again. As always, Depeche Mode came on stage at 9pm and all the fans were getting crazy. There was a smashing atmosphere in the Messehalle right from the beginning and Dave had one of his best performances ever, always with a smile on his face. He didn’t need to ask the fans to sing along, everybody in the hall was already singing. One of the highlights that night was “Enjoy The Silence” when after the show Dave said “Danke Schon” in pretty good German. What a fantastic reward this was for us. Later on he stood right in front of me and my friends and was trying to reach our hands. But the gap between the stage and the barriers was too big to make contact… Hen then went down on his knees and kept on smiling while we were singing “Let me see you stripped down to the bone…” Oh, I wished Dave would do that – ha ha! All this made that gig so damn special for me. I don’t want to forget Martin and Fletch who seemed to be enjoying the show as well and gave away simply the best! When the show ended I noticed there still was a bottle of mineral water on stage Dave was drinking from during the show and I was crazy enough to ask one of the security guys to give it to me. And yes, I got it! It’s still half full and I will treasure it forever. I thank you Depeche Mode so much for giving us such a huge present last year. It was the best tour ever seen on Earth and we all look forward to seeing you on stage again!
Nadine Schmidt
Grossalsleben, Germany

New York – 28/10/98

It was October 27, 1998 and I heard that DM had finally come to the States to play the second leg of the tour. Many rumours from Europe were going around about the highlights and success of the long-awaited tour – such as “In Your Room” being played as the Zephyr Mix, Martin playing more guitar than on the previous tours, Andy’s clapping coming back, a live drummer playing for the whole show, a new keyboard player and of course, Dave’s voice coming back stronger than ever. This gave hope to all of us fans in the USA. When the next day came, it was my turn to experience why DM were so capable of bringing so many people around the world to see them. I personally waited about three years for this moment. Well, when Stabbing Westward (opening band for the US leg) came on, I became so intense in what was coming next. About an hour later, the lights dimmed and the electricity sound of “Painkiller” got everyone off their seats and clapping! The October 28 show at Madison Square Garden, NY was great! Their sound was much better than on past tours, the set list and how the songs were performed surprised me. I was so anxious to see them again on the second NY show on the 29th and I was expecting it to be much better than the 28th show. I also planned on meeting some DM fans on that day. Well, by the time we met with them it was like I was on a rush to see DM, but of course it was a little to early to go in. As soon as it was show time, we all got up from eating and went straight to Madison Square Garden. I didn’t care too much for Stabbing Westward this time… I was just too impatient to see DM. By the time they were done I had to wait another hour just like the previous show. We all went out in the halls but I soon heard the sound of “Painkiller” and we all just ran back to our seats. One of us even got lost! But in total the show was great. As for Depeche Mode, they did it again! They made me so happy and played an even better, more intense show! DM have been a big influence in most of our lives. We waited, and it was worth waiting for. Showing that they can Never Let Us Down. They simply have their own style that fives every fan a feeling that no one else can give. Dave, Martin and Andy, you’re the best thing that has happened to my life and other devoted fans!
Josh Alvarado
Bronx, NY, USA

demoderus

Administrator
I MET THAT BLOKE FROM DEPECHE MODE ONCE
[From Bong 41, September 1999. Words: Various contributors.]
Summary: Fans remember occasions, mainly on the 1998 Singles Tour, when they got to meet members of Depeche Mode.
This was a regular Bong feature - try the Bong main page for other "I Met That Bloke From Depeche Mode Once" articles.

If you met Depeche Mode or one of the band members and would like to share your experiences with the other fans, this is your chance. We are giving you an opportunity to tell us when and where you met the Modes and under what circumstances. You can send us full stories or simple details, whatever you prefer. We would also appreciate any photographs you have that we could print as it always makes the page more interesting and will prove to everyone that you were really there! Please, be assured that we will take good care of your photos and return them to you on your request. Don’t forget to mark everything with your name and address.

It took me 14 years but my dream came true when I got to meet and get a picture with David Gahan on The Singles Tour during their Florida visit on Nov 13-15, 1998. I was able to go to all three Florida dates and had a blast at all three shows! I went with my friends Gabe, Melanie, Nicci and Christy. I also was able to meet my best friend Ron who I met in the DM chat also during this tour! After their show in Tampa, Gabe and I went back with Ron and his friends to their hotel, The Don Ce Sar for some drinks. We had just bought our drinks and were talking about the show when Fletch walked up – I was totally surprised! We had no idea they were at this hotel. I said hello and started chatting to him; he was so nice and very talkative. We talked for about 20 minutes then Martin and Peter showed up along with some members of the crew. That’s when the party really started, it lasted well into the morning and a good time was had by all. I went back to the hotel on Tuesday to say good-bye to Ron and his friends, I just happened to find out that DM was leaving that day too, so I stayed and waited. It was almost 3pm when everyone started to come down to the lobby and when Dave came out of the elevator, my heart stopped! I knew this might be my only chance, so I walked over to him and waited for him to finish his conversation. He was very nice but seemed to be in a bit of a hurry. I only had my camera with me so I asked politely for a picture with him, he agreed and said “a quick one”. But I had a problem, I was alone so I had no one to take the picture. I was trying to call over a hotel guest when Dave took the camera out of my hand and asked his bodyguard to “take a snap shot”. I put my arm around him and smiled. I thanked them repeatedly and told him that the shows were fantastic. I also told him he looked and sounded fabulous. He kept saying thankyou but he had to go. I thanked him again and headed to my car, where I let out a scream of excitement! I don’t even remember the drive back to Tampa, but I headed straight to get my picture developed! After being a fan for 14 years I never thought this day would come. I will never forget the day of November 17, 1998 and I now have a beautiful picture with Dave as my reminder.
Lisa “Kaleid” Warhul
Tampa, Florida, USA

I was in Brussels for The Singles Tour and was lucky to have the name of the hotel where the band were staying. I went to their hotel the morning after the concert where a bunch of fans were already hanging out – I asked them if it was the right place. We waited patiently in the lounge when a hotel employee informed us that the band were leaving early in the afternoon. I was really annoyed because my train was leaving quite early and it would have been a pity missing an opportunity I had been years waiting for. So I went to the station to change my ticket and my time of departure. I returned to the hotel and a few minutes later I spotted Andy. Despite the fact that he was with his wife and kids, who joined him a bit later, he was kind enough to give us his autograph and have some photos taken with him. We then sat at the bar and had a couple of drinks hoping for the arrival of Martin and Dave. After a while we saw Andy Franks, some of the musicians and Darrell, the security guy. We all went outside, and Darrell gave us tips for approaching the band, explaining what to do and what to avoid (thanks for the chocolate, Darrell!). The first to come out was Andy, along with his children, followed by Martin who had a lovely smile on his face. He came over to us and signed some of our stuff, he was so nice to us. Unfortunately, we didn’t get a chance to approach Dave as he headed for his car so quickly we weren’t able to ask for his autograph or a photo. It was great to see him so close, though. After their cars were about to leave, we waved good-bye to martin and Andy and they waved back. At the end of the day, I did not regret my decision to leave Brussels later than originally scheduled as it really was worth all the money I lost with the ticket exchange.
Beatrice Brass
Paris, France

These pictures of Martin and Dave were taken in February 1997 during the Band’s promotional visit of Fun Radio in Paris. Our special thanks go to JD Fanger who helped us to meet the guys.
Christian & Berangere
Courcelles Les Lens, France

Being a fan of Depeche Mode since 1989, I thought I’d write and tell you about one of the most special nights of my life. It was Monday 28th September 1998 and I had just travelled down from Glasgow that day for the two gigs at Wembley Arena. I arranged to meet my friend Jo (whom I met at the Camden Palace Convention in 1997) at the station. That night I was just going to relax in my hotel room after a full day of travelling, then Jo came up with the idea of going to Fletch’s restaurant in St. John’s Wood. I agreed, so we got ready and made our way there. On arriving we were shown to our table and served our food and drink. While Jo was in the “ladies”, I sat with my drink and my back was to the door. I don’t know why but I turned round and there was Fletch standing with about four or five friends with him. They went downstairs and I just sat there not believing my eyes. I had to at least try meeting him, as it could be mine and indeed Jo’s only chance to meet any of the band. Thinking quickly, I beckoned over the waiter and explained our situation about being down from Glasgow for the gigs and being fans etc. and asked if it would be possible to meet Andy. He said he would ask but couldn’t promise as he may be too tired from the tour and travelling. Anyway, Jo came back and I explained whom I’d just seen and she laughed at me through her glass! She wasn’t laughing for long as the waiter came back and said: “No problem, Andy said just go down when you’re ready.” The look on Jo’s face was a picture and she quickly guzzled down her virtually full glass of wine. Feeling quite nervous we went down to a little room where Andy and his company were sitting. He came straight over and said “Hi” and although I was obviously nervous about meeting him I felt quite comfortable too. I thought he came across really friendly and was very enthusiastic talking about the tour. We spoke about music, football and Alan Wilder, he even posed for some photos with us. We also got an autograph on a compliment slip, which was fab! After about 25 mins chatting we wished him luck for Wembley and cheekily asked for backstage passes. Unfortunately, he already had too many family and friends going and said that it would have been impossible, but you can’t win them all. We still had an amazing night and strolled off into the night with our heads in the clouds, just to cap it all off, we still had the next two nights to look forward to – amazing!
Scott MacFarlane
Glasgow, Scotland