Administrator
Bong 43 (March 2000)
bong43_c.jpg

demoderus

Administrator
Bong 43 (March 2000)

Articles:
Andy Fletcher Personal File
Spreading the News Around the World (band history overview)
I Met That Bloke From Depeche Mode Once by various contributors
Shows In Their Eyes by Lloyd Soldatt

Pictures:
page 1 promotional shot of Andy from the Personal File

Attachments

• bong43_1.jpg
    bong43_1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 65

demoderus

Administrator
ANDREW FLETCHER PERSONAL FILE
[From Bong 43, March 2000.]
Summary: An updated personal file from Fletch.

Full Name: Andrew John Fletcher

Date of birth: 8th July 1961

Place of birth: Nottingham

Star Sign: Cancer

Colour of eyes: Blue

Colour of hair: Strawberry Blonde

Height: 6’ 3”

Family details: Wife: Grainne, Daughter: Megan, Son: Joseph

Hobbies / Interests: Food, Football

Previous jobs: Assurance Clerk

Previous bands: Composition Of Sound

Favourite cities: New York, London

Favourite country: Britain

Favourite food: Asian

Favourite drink: Italian white wine, Diet Coke, Foster’s lager

Favourite part of your body: Legs

Favourite sport: Soccer

Favourite colour: Blue

Favourite perfume: Anything by Jo

Favourite designer: Prada

Favourite film: Deer Hunter, Godfather, Exorcist

Favourite book: The Bible

Favourite TV station: Sky News

Favourite radio station: Capitol Gold

Favourite magazines / papers: The Times & The Sun

Favourite song: New York, New York – Frank Sinatra

Favourite DM song: Home, Stripped, World In My Eyes

Favourite album: Too many to mention

Favourite DM album: Violator

Favourite DM video: Enjoy The Silence

Favourite DM Remix: Home – “Air Around The Golf”

Favourite DM Lyrics: World In My Eyes, Somebody

Favourite singer / band: Elvis

What do you like best about being in the band? Making great records

What do you like least about being in the band? Photo shoots

If you could be any famous historical figure, who would it be and why? Winston Churchill

What one thing would you take if you were stranded on a desert island? A woman

demoderus

Administrator
Spreading the News Around the World
[From Bong 43, March 2000.]
Summary: A very rapid-fire overview of highlights in the band's history (jumping from 1982 to 1986, incidentally). Probably nothing here you don't already know, but nifty nonetheless.

Some of you may not realise that it will be 20 years in May since Depeche Mode were founded, so we have decided to take you back in time, giving you some interesting and important facts we personally feel have made history…

Composition Of Sound

Early in 1980, Fletch, Martin and Vince agreed to form a typical guitar trio, with the added accompaniment of a drum machine. Vince wrote and sang all their early material. The three lads considered some new band names, but Vince’s suggestion, Composition Of Sound, was ultimately adopted.

Dave Gahan

Vince suggested that a fourth member, a vocalist, should be recruited. The “right man” proved to be Dave Gahan, also from Basildon. Vince, Fletch and Martin first spotted Dave in a local scout-hut jam session with another band. In a strong cover of the David Bowie number “Heroes”, Dave so charmed the members of Composition Of Sound that he was immediately invited to join the band.

Depeche Mode

For a band with a modernised image, an innovative sound, a new member, a name change seemed only appropriate. During one afternoon rehearsal in Vince’s garage, Dave took a liking to the title of the French fashion magazine, Depeche Mode, which he had been reading in college, and the band immediately assumed this new identity.

Bridgehouse

In December 1980, after Daniel Miller witnessed a live performance of this fresh-faced melodic quartet, supporting Fad Gadget at the Bridgehouse, the band agreed to make a single. This agreement was entered into on the basis of a 50/50 profit-sharing agreement with Daniel, who subsequently devoted his attention to the vision that Depeche Mode could someday be the “ultimate electronic pop band”.

Dreaming Of Me

The Band’s first was released on 20th February 1981, on a 7” format only. Although it only reached number 57, it was a good start, and according to Miller, who produced the single, it began a long-term crossover trend for Indie releases into mainstream radio.

Speak & Spell

When their first album was released on 5th October 1981, their tour began, and over the course of three weeks, they played fourteen very successful nights throughout the UK. The album was good and the press was elated, keeping close tabs on this growing teen phenomenon. It was back then when Vince announced he was leaving the Band.

Alan Wilder

After the departure of Vince Clarke, Dave, martin and Andy restructured the band by electing Martin as chief songwriter. Although Depeche Mode were confident they could continue making music, it was decided that a fourth member was necessary for touring. After several auditions, Alan Wilder, a classically trained musician, was chosen from ten finalists. But it wasn’t until the recording of “Get The Balance Right” that he joined the band full-time.

Anton Corbijn

The filming of “A Question Of Time” video in the American desert in 1986 with this Dutch photographer / video-director behind his 8mm camera was the beginning of a long running collaboration between the Band and Anton, whose unique visual presentation has become a Depeche Mode hallmark.

Rose Bowl

The Music For The Masses Tour in 1987/88 brought the foursome together on stage to deliver their passion and soul. Arriving in Los Angeles for their last stop at the Pasadena Rose Bowl Stadium on June 18, 1988, Depeche Mode performed their historic 101st show of the tour in front of 75,000 fans. The event was recorded and filmed, and was later released as a movie and live album, bearing the name “101”.

Enjoy The Silence

The second single from a monster hit album “Violator”, released on February 5th 1990, remained one of the Band’s strongest tracks to date and went on to win Single of the Year in the Brit Awards.

The Wherehouse

On March 20, 1990, Depeche Mode appeared for a promotional autograph signing of their album “Violator” at the music store The Wherehouse in West Los Angeles. Over 10,000 fans besieged the store to catch a glimpse of the Band and were simply too much for the security staff to handle. The event made the national news with the headline: “English rock band Depeche Mode stopped the traffic at Beverly!”

Songs Of Faith And Devotion

The single “I Feel You” was an impressive start that would launch Depeche Mode’s newest studio LP “Songs Of Faith And Devotion”, after its release on March 22 1993, right to the top. The new album went straight in at No. 1 on both the American and British charts, and went on to dominate album charts the World over.

Devotional Tour

Shortly after the release of “Songs Of Faith And Devotion”, the band set out on its boldest World tour yet. An extensive 14 month tour was planned which would take them across the globe twice, playing to a total of over 2 million devotees in far off places like South Africa, Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong, Manila and South America.

Ultra

Following Alan Wilder’s departure and some personal tribulations, Depeche Mode went into the studio with producer Tim Simenon and began work on the latest album. Prior to the release of “Ultra” in April 1997, everyone was hoping that the new album would do as well as “SOFAD” – and it did. With “Barrel Of A Gun” and “It’s No Good” holding the charts across Europe, “Ultra” began its speedy journey to the top. Depeche Mode, with only three men on board, proved yet again that their position in the music industry is well deserved, and it doesn’t stop here.

The Singles 86>98

The new single “Only When I Lose Myself” announced the release of the retrospective double CD set, “The Singles 86>98”, in October 1998. The Band returned to the music scene to deliver the ultimate anthology of songs we all knew so well. This package, together with the accompanying video set, became an indispensable part of every fans’ collection. As the Band celebrated the success of the singles album in the international charts they embarked on “The Singles Tour 86-98”, which took them for the first time ever to Russia, Estonia and Latvia, finishing just before Christmas in the USA.

demoderus

Administrator
I MET THAT BLOKE FROM DEPECHE MODE ONCE
[From Bong 43, March 2000. Words: Various contributors.]
Summary: Fans from Poland, the UK, Germany and Switzerland relate their stories of meeting members of the band in person, a couple of these in very unexpected circumstances. [1184 words]
[As this was a regular feature there are too many similar articles to list here. Try the Bong main page, beginning at Bong 24.]

The 15th September 1998 was probably the luckiest day of my life. Some of my friends and I went to Prague a day before showday at Prague’s Sports Hall. We had a couple of hours to spare before the concert on the 15th and so we went to see some interesting places in Prague. At about 2pm we got to the market place, and suddenly in the crowd, we spotted Dave together with Tim Simenon, Jonathan Kessler and some other people from the crew. At first, I couldn’t believe my eyes. But it was really Dave and he was walking just about five metres from me. I thought to myself that I couldn’t miss such an opportunity and so I approached Dave and told him that we were Depeche Mode fans and asked if he wouldn’t mind having a photo taken with us. He was very nice and agreed at once. I am the girl in glasses standing on Dave’s right hand side and my friends are Pauline, Monika, Maniek and Maly. While we were taking photos, some other fans arrived and wanted a photograph with Dave too. There were more and more devotees and the situation began to be a little unsafe for Dave. So after a while, Dave thanked us and together with his company went to a car and drove off. A few hours later, we were at the concert at the Sports Hall and it was the best concert I have ever seen. Everything was just perfect – music, Martin’s guitar, Dave’s voice and movements, and Andy who is always great. The audience was also incredible! Although it’s been over a year now, I am still under the impression of that day and can’t believe that I, an ordinary person in the street, had luck to meet Dave and talk to him for a while. Now I know that dreams can come true!
Goska Broda
Walbrzych, Poland

You must have wondered at some time or other what you’d say if you ever met one of your idols. You’ve no doubt rehearsed questions, recounted incidents and commented on their work. I’ve always wanted to meet Martin to ask what inspires him to write such moving lyrics, where do the ideas come from? Why are so many songs written about love, the entanglement of passion, lust and belief? How does Dave cope in a post-drug world, and seeing or missing his family life? Does Andy ever feel that his place in the band is over-shadowed by Martin and Dave? What’s it really like now that Alan has left? Would they ever consider work with Vince again? That is until you have one of those chance encounters. Saturday 19th June, a back street of Marlow, Buckinghamshire. It’s early evening. I’m walking into town with an old friend, on our way to the funfair and fireworks after the Royal Marlow Regatta. In mid-sentence I stop talking to my friend. A man walking towards me is very familiar. “Andy, how are you?” I almost shout. He shakes my hand and replies as if he knows me like an old friend. (I’ve only ever met him twice before.) I ask why he is out here in rural Buckinghamshire or if he lives locally. He tells me that he has a house nearby and has been down to the Regatta. Our conversation is brief – Andy and his friend are looking for somewhere to get a drink. As I walk away with a grin from ear to ear, I mentally kick myself for not asking how the family are, the rest of the band, about the restaurant, when we can expect some new material, are they in the studio at the moment? Why wasn’t I carrying a camera, autograph book (Marlow is home to a number of “names” – Scary Spice lives to the west of the town), why didn’t I sacrifice a £5 note for his autograph? If anything, our meeting only goes to show that idols are what we call them, but they like to consider themselves normal with the ability and freedom to enjoy the same pleasures of life. Thanks Andy for giving me a memorable (if brief) meeting. Thanks also to my friend Revelyne for dragging me out to Marlow.
Tom Evison
High Wycombe, England

It is a year now since I went to London with my friend Corinna to do a bit of sightseeing. Generally, we had a great time and what’s more we were lucky enough to meet Andy. He was very friendly and so nice to us. We were even happier when he took a little while to chat with us. Now I would like to thank Andy for that moment he shared with us. We’ll never forget how nice it was meeting you!
Sabine Lichtenhof
Ingolstadt, Germany

It was October 1991. I had just finished school and went to London with a friend. On a Friday night, we went to a party where we met some DM fans. They told us to go to a nightclub called Gossips on a Wednesday where we could see members of DM. They said that it was Martin’s favourite place to have fun. We didn’t really believe that, but we checked in Time Out magazine what kind of party it was and it sounded pretty cool. EBM and industrial night playing Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, Skinny Puppy… So we went there and started to drink our pints (they were half price before 11:30pm) and at 12:30, we couldn’t believe our eyes, Martin and Andy entered the small, but lovely, night-club together with some friends and a bodyguard. They were hanging at the bar and a lot of female tourists from Japan went to them and asked for signatures. On one hand I thought that they should have their privacy. But on the other I said to myself that it is probably the only possibility in life to talk to the guys I have loved for years. So I took all my courage and went to Martin and asked him if he remembered his last concert in Zurich. He answered it was brilliant, in fact it was the best on their World Violation Tour and while saying that he started to smile and told me that out of a hundred concerts he couldn’t point out one particular. But he said that he loves to come to Switzerland because the people are so friendly there and a little bit shy to go to them asking for signatures. We had a laugh and I left him alone with his pint. Later on, he went on the dance-floor and started to dance to some Nitzer Ebb tunes, but after some other songs, the DJ put on “Enjoy The Silence” and Martin shook his head pointing out that he wouldn’t dance to that kind of music. It was big fun being in the same nightclub with Depeche Mode and I will never forget it. I didn’t take any pictures or ask them for signatures (I left them their privacy), but it will always stay in my mind!
Michael Oesch
Adliswil, Switzerland

demoderus

Administrator
SHOWS IN THEIR EYES
[From Bong 43, March 2000. Words: Lloyd Soldatt.]
Summary: An American fan reviews the first four performances of the US leg of the Singles Tour, in detailed and thoughtful article. [As this was a regular feature there are too many similar articles to list here. Try searching the Bong main page, beginning with Bong 39.]

I would like to share my impressions on Depeche Mode performances from the last tour of the US leg taken place in Worcester, MA (27th October), New York City (28th and 29th October) and Philadelphia (1st November) as I haven’t, so far, found anybody commenting on these shows. First of all, I had to prepare in detail months and months beforehand to get the concert tickets, hotel reservations and bus tickets to travel all across the state of New York over to Massachusetts and Pennsylvania. I knew from my past tour experiences how important it was to be prepared. At the famous Port Authority station in NYC, I was expecting to meet at least an impressive crowd of people that day heading towards Worcester, but I found myself to be the only one and then I just met a girl from the City who was also a DM fan. That was strange.

Worcester, MA – 27/10/98

We got to the “strange little town” as described by Daryl [1] at around 6 o’clock and went to the Centrum, a modern gigantic well-equipped sports stadium / concert hall, right in the centre of the town. When I approached I saw lots of fans gathered at the entrance listening to Depeche songs at full blast. The merchandise distributors were already selling the programs, T-shirts and posters. I took a picture to commemorate this atmosphere and went to check in to my hotel right across a small railway road dead-end. When I was ready, I went back to the Centrum and noticed lots of cars parked in the parking lot nearby. To my relief, there were a lot of New York number plates as well as cars from Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts, and of New England on site – “All in place”, I murmured to myself. I started getting worried about the New York fans missing the opening show of the entire American part. I was happy to be proved wrong. I was very excited and savoured the anticipation of the forthcoming show by just sitting in my seat, close to the stage, and looking around. The audience went silent with the first chords of the intro “Headstar”. The American leg of the tour did not have the luck of having Tim Simenon DJing for us! Then I saw a very familiar silhouette of Martin Gore himself approaching me and smiling, then Dave and Andy. The light went on at full and the first sounds of “A Question Of Time” hit the air. Personally, I think this is a very powerful and impressive song to do live, so I was glad to hear it begin the show. The sound was excellent, and Dave sounded very crisp, fresh, energetic and excited. His voice commanded an immense power and strength. I think the Centrum was the perfect size venue for the Singles Tour. I was standing so close to Martin that it was almost a surreal experience to feel like part of the history. Different thoughts went through my head, as I was thinking about my last show in 1993 (in the same hall) and the ensuing years of pain and grief, along with some personal reminiscing. The most difficult parts in the set vocally, in my opinion, were “I Feel You”, “BOAG” and “In Your Room” and were done brilliantly with an amazing sense of presence. Dave’s voice flying round the walls of the concert hall had a mysterious influence on the crowd, a phantom-like spell was cast and put us all into a frenzy. All I wish to say is: “Bravo!” I also remember seeing the ever-present tour manager Mr. Andy Franks, talking to Dave at the podium of the stage and serving some tea to him. This was very real and interesting to see as well. I saw Martin’s guitar technician talking to Mart and smiling. All the familiar faces in one place. I was anticipating Martin’s performance of “Home”, knowing how intricate and difficult it is for performing live, I suppose, he did it better than it was possible for a human. Bravo, bravo! Then a huge surprise came in the form of a new arrangement of “Somebody”. I think it’s necessary to mention that Martin’s stage costume was superb and his new stage mannerisms were arranged and composed perfectly. I liked the way he sounded on this version of “Somebody”, a bit serious and sensual at the same time and most importantly, I wonder if anyone noticed how Martin stressed his words in this version. For instance, one of the accents fell on the word “perverted”, I think it was significant and new. Plus he managed to underline some lower notes more differently than ever, which had a tremendous effect. I think the version of “A Question Of Time” was more upbeat and joyous than usual which brought the atmosphere a sense of relaxed elevation to the crowd. In other words, all was as perfect as perfect can be. I would like to add that this excellent venue was contributory to a perfect show in terms of sound and overall performance.

New York City – 28+29/10/98

I went back to New York the next morning still emotionally exhausted and tired after last night’s miracle. But I had to face two shows in a row at Madison Square Garden. I personally think that the Garden, the world-famous concert hall and more, is the sacrifice to the homey atmosphere that a Depeche Mode show brings. Regardless of al the efforts, it is still too commercial for a show like this. Its size and layout, though providing perfect sound and capacity, never make you feel “in touch” with the stage unless you are by the stage at the edge. But there is no way Depeche Mode could play for New Yorkers otherwise. Also the weather outside added to my slightly upset state of mind. I would like to say that the band did more than they possibly could at this venue on 28th October and the sound was magnificent. No faults, no delays, all perfect. But it is worth commenting on the audience; I was disappointed to see a lot of the younger crowd playing with laser pointers, while the band were on stage. It was low, ignorant and disrespectful. I suppose this was partly the reason why Dave and Martin were pretty tense in the first part of the performance. The second show on 29th October was warmer and brighter. I had that momentous impression that this show would be a blast. And it was. First of all, the crowd was mature, there were lots of old-school fans and the response was amazing. Dave spoke to the crowd and smiled a lot. Martin (surprise-surprise!!!) was wearing armour-like shorts which matched his glittering jacket, for the first time. And Dave presented Martin as “This is Martin Lee Gore!!!” during “Enjoy The Silence”. Very endearing and a great sign of love. It is worth remembering the famous hand swaying during “Never Let Me Down Again”, which sounded like a hymn for the youth of this century. When the light went sweeping across the crowd, I saw a virtual living field of waving hands all around me. It was difficult to control my emotions… I think we all left on a highly elevated note that night.

Philadelphia – 01/11/98

Philadelphia greeted us with the perfect autumn weather and some sun. The Forum concert hall is located on the edge of the city and is a new well-equipped concert place. It was my first time there and I liked it immensely. I knew it would be a great show to see. At 9pm sharp the boys were on stage. There were also some people from the VH1 channel filming the performance. Dave re-energised the versions of “I Feel You”, “BOAG”, “In Your Room” and especially “Useless”. In “Useless” he deliberately accentuated the low notes in the main phrase so it sounded like he goes high up and then streaming down. It had a great effect of power and energy, which was delivered to the crowd. “I Feel You” gave me the goose bumps, that is how great it really sounded. Very ambient, monolithic and captivating. “Somebody” was again not like any other version of this masterpiece ballad, more sensual and touching. To summarise: November 1st showed the superb performance and unity between the band and the audience. Andrew Fletcher deserves a separate “Bravo” for being a great, devoted friend and leader. He made it all happen behind the curtains of the show and the music. We love you, Andy! Drawing to a close, I would like to mention that my opinion, as an old-school fan, is that my ideal stage instrumentation still remains to be the more electronic set-up of previous tours. And I will explain why: The roots of the band are in a heavily electronic and experimental scene that Depeche Mode pioneered, created and popularised. The Devotional Tour was on the perfect edge of balancing between the introduction of live drums (brilliantly performed by Alan Wilder – this will be covered in my next comments) and the electronic drum lines. The orchestration was superb. I would like to agree with some of my English friends that although we really enjoyed the live drums, we longed for the edgier side of DM as in their traditional arrangement. This traditionalism was the DM hallmark that we all so dearly love. We were bred on this type of music and we preach it to the masses. I personally think that Depeche Mode are ingenious, as they are when they counterpoint the warm, homely and very human voices of Dave and Martin to the soulful, spiritual heights of the unearthly music that is impossible to counterfeit. This is something from a conservative Mode as I consider myself. The last word is “Thank you all”.

[1] - That's quite a memory this fan has got - Daryl's comment was in his Tour Diary some five years before in Bong 23.

Please Login or Register to view hidden text.