Depeche Mode - Mode Ahead (Muzik, 2001) | dmremix.pro

Depeche Mode Mode Ahead (Muzik, 2001)

demoderus

Administrator
MODE AHEAD
[Muzik, July 2001. Words: Ralph Moore. Pictures: Anton Corbijn.]
Dance-oriented interview laying the "Depeche Mode as dance pioneers" line on with a trowel. The band work their way tactfully through some sticky moments as the interviewer evidently tries to make them seem more involved with the present-day dance scene than they are. Consequently both parties realise that the band aren't really that familiar with Ibiza and that ilk. Nonetheless, having the slightly unusual focus, this makes for interesting reading.
" I've been to Ibiza once but I think I hold the world record for being in a club the shortest time. It was about 28 minutes. My kids were having a party at home and I thought it would be better than a day at Space. "
front.jpgtoc.jpgpage48.jpgpage49.jpg
They've come along way, these babies from Basildon. 20 years, 36 hit singles and several highly publicised on-tour traumas since a gawky young Depeche Mode first trod the boards. Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Andy Fletcher have made it through the wilderness, having just released a new album, the soul-tinged 'Exciter'. Tanned, toned and touting half-empty packs of Marlboro Lights, it's hard to believe that The Mode are pushing 40. Not that their fans care. Recent single 'Dream On' crashed into the Top 10 and 'Exciter' will doubtless have done the same by the time you read this.

But what are these affable Essex pop stars doing in Muzik anyway? Well, Martin Gore's lyrics have consistently struck a chord with the disenchanted and disillusioned, but their music has also inspired everyone from Derrick May to Richard Dorfmeister. And unlike their Eighties peers (Erasure anyone? No? Thought not.) Depeche Mode have continued to shift sizeable quantities of records with every release.

It's all in the songs, you see. From 'See You' and Strangelove' to 'Personal Jesus' and 'Home', these tunes have come to mean as much as three minutes can in this day and age. Of course, it helps that they're a proper band with breakdowns and drug problems and everything. It helps that Dave Gahan looks and acts like a proper rock star. Hell, it even helps that none of them have lost their hair. But most of all, it helps that they're still here, still smiling and still battling those off-screen demons.

What were your first-ever clubbing experiences?
Andy: We were about 18 and we'd just started the band. Friends of ours started a club in Southend called Crocs - a lot of bands played their first gigs there - so every Saturday we'd go along and play in front of 300 people, 280 of whom we knew. When you're 18, you play Space Invaders all night, go off for a dance and then come back for another game of Space Invaders!
Dave: I'd go to the Goldmine on Canvey Island and listen to DJs like Chris Hill who'd play The Crusaders, Bob James and Funkadelic. That would've been around 1976. They were good times. We used to go to Soul Weekenders to places like Yarmouth with a whole bunch of friends. Other than that, it was alternative clubs in London at the end of the Seventies. Clubs in Soho were playing obscure things like Fad Gadget, Cabaret Voltaire and Kraftwerk.
Martin: I didn't go out much before I was 17 or 18, to be honest. When I was 18, it was the beginning of the new romantic / futurist scene but I was generally quite a shy teenager. I spent most of my time playing music in my room!
Andy: The first house club I went to was Trip at the Astoria, and the E thing had hit big for the first time. It was such an incredible experience to see lots of really straight men holding hands! Having said that, we did get thrown out of a pub in Basildon once. I don't think we were looking particularly weird, just that we were wearing leather jackets. They were playing 'Just Can't Get Enough' at the time, which was a bit odd!
Martin: (giggling) He said to Andy, "out the pub, mate, and take Joe 90 with you!" He called me Joe 90 and I didn't even wear glasses! Basildon itself was very violent. In those days, if you went to Raquel's or Sweeney's, there was a good chance you'd get into a fight - especially if you looked slightly odd.

Is there still rage at the heart of Depeche Mode?
Martin: We've had our share of rage. And to be honest, I don't think we could put up with it in our lives at the moment. I don't think we could make another album under those conditions, it would be time to give up if we did. What would be the point of putting ourselves through hell for a two-year project if we weren't enjoying it at this stage?
Dave: It's better in the studio when you're not fighting so much.

What do you make of today's music?
Martin: If you look back through the history of pop music, it's always been bad, really. I think we sometimes fool ourselves that there were these golden eras when everything in the charts was fantastic. But I don't think that's ever been the case. If you look back to when we were kids, we had Marc Bolan and David Bowie...but we also had The Brotherhood Of Man. What's been getting me down is that alternative music has become corporate now. When we started and the whole alternative scene sprang up, it meant something was alternative to the mainstream. Now everybody sounds the same and it's become the mainstream. So how is that alternative?

So what drives you now?
Andy: That's a tough question. Would we still carry on if the fans weren't there any more? You'd love to say that it's the music that keeps you together but I'm sure enthusiasm would soon wane if we had to play in little pubs!
Martin: After you've reached a certain level it's really hard to go back and still feel motivated. It's like after travelling first class, it's difficult to go back to club class or economy. It's one of the facts of life. We're very lucky to have such a strong fan base. In the old days, it used to be a joke that we had to check the 50p rack just to make sure our singles hadn't been put there!

Is it fair to say that 'Violator' was an Ecstasy album?
Martin: Not particularly. [Pauses] To be honest, I don't like talking about drugs too much. It's something that doesn't sit comfortably with me in interviews. We did go to raves in those days. I discovered them in '88, just before I started writing 'Violator'...to evade the question!
Andy: I think the answer is yes, maybe!
Dave: We certainly indulged in that area for a while, especially in America, which is where it all kind of started. We had some fun on that tour. But it burns out pretty quick and you realise after a while how shallow it is and how pathetic it is that you can't communicate with people unless you're on some sort of substance. There was a moment there when I thought it was very exciting. During the 'Violator' tour we'd go out every night to clubs where they'd play Detroit techno. And it was pretty exciting for a minute there. But I haven't heard anything new since. I find that music a bit one-dimensional. I watched Human Traffic last night and I think that sums it all up: it's about getting off your head for the weekend and escaping.

demoderus

Administrator
What about Ibiza?
Andy: I've been to Ibiza once but I think I hold the world record for being in a club the shortest time. It was about 28 minutes. My kids were having a party at home and I thought it would be better than a day at Space.
Martin: I've often joked that it seems like my spiritual home...but I've never been there. Ibiza Uncovered put me off a bit!

Are there any budding DJs in the band?
Martin: I've been DJing a little bit at a bar in California, where I play low-key electronic music. And when I do this bar, I sometimes do five hours. I've been playing a couple of new songs in my sets cos I've heard that's what you're supposed to do when you're a DJ.

Have you had any requests?
Martin: Yes, but there's no way I'm ever going to have anything that anyone asks me for. Some girl came up to me and asked me for Creed last time!
Andy: I own a restaurant so I sometimes put takes together. But my crowd is more jazzy. I'm a bit like Martin's wife, I DJ more well-known stuff. Jocelyn Brown for example.

Do you still see your old school friends?
Dave: No, not at all. I have a whole new set of friends in New York. I like to meet new people and have new experiences - that's what inspires me. I'm not one for going down the pub with the lads - that doesn't appeal to me any more. I have great kids, a supportive wife and I'm living beyond my wildest dreams. So I just wanna keep moving. Life's about changing, it's not about joining in with other people because you think that's what you're supposed to do.
Andy: A lot of our friends are still our friends. It's weird how we've managed to stay in contact with so many of them. They're good if you want an honest opinion. We've got a friend called Dave Valentine who used to say that everything we did was rubbish...the worrying thing is that he likes the new record!

'Exciter' is out now on Mute

MODE MIXES

From Francois K to Portishead and Carl Craig, Depeche Mode have always worked with the cream of dance music's remixers. Muzik picks three of the best.

AIR 'HOME'
Air's signature synths and Martin's plaintive vocals worked wonders on 'Home', which still sounds heavenly. Martin: "One of the nice things about or remixes is that we catch people just before they hit stardom. We really liked Air, so we asked them to do a mix. For me it was kind of Doors-like."

KRUDER & DORFMEISTER 'USELESS'
Sweeping and sinister, this classic K&D Session draws you in with an array of studio trickery. Perfect for spliff-toting lounge lizards. Martin: "Tim Simenon [of Bomb The Bass] suggested they do a mix. Again, it's all about the atmosphere. we still get requests to put it on compilations, even today. I still think the best sounds are European."

BUSHWACKA! AND DAVE CLARKE 'DREAM ON'
Matthew B's mix is a bluesy tech-house take on the original, while Dave Clarke moves the focus to the acoustic guitar and adds some brutal kick drums. Both are brilliant. Andy: "I'm a big fan of Dave Clarke and Bushwacka! mixes: they're getting a great response from the dancefloor. I like the 'Tough Guy Mix' in particular."

demoderus

Administrator
Muzik
Cover date: July 2001 (UK)
Article writer: Ralph Moore
Photography: Anton Corbijn
Details: A three page feature on the band.