Depeche Mode - Mode Turn Angelic (Manchester Evening News, 2006) | dmremix.pro

Depeche Mode Mode Turn Angelic (Manchester Evening News, 2006)

demoderus

Administrator
Mode Turn Angelic
[Manchester Evening News, 24th March 2006. Words: Kevin Bourke. Picture: Uncredited.]
Dave chats animatedly about the impetus behind Playing The Angel in this regional newspaper piece promoting their concert in Manchester.
" I really felt when we started this album, or way before that, that there was definitely some unfinished business and it’s always been like that. "
men240306_1 (1).jpg
After Depeche Mode’s years of notorious excess, even Dave Gahan can’t quite believe that they are still around to make new albums like their current Playing The Angel, and sell out the Manchester Evening News Arena.

“Out of any of our peers that we came up with in the eighties, we would have been the one I’d have put money on not to still be around,” he admits. “Now, just with our longevity, we’ve probably got more in common with bands like U2 and REM than I ever would have thought!”

Playing The Angel is the first album from Gahan, with Andrew Fletcher and Martin Gore, in four years. Did he have any qualms that it might not work?

“Going into the studio and making another record together when you’ve done so much together, though, I think you really have to strive to find something new. The challenge has to be in the work, because it’s no longer about anything else,” he confirms.

“When we first sat down together, even though we didn’t actually really talk about it, I think we all felt that if we were going to make another record together, we had to challenge ourselves.

“The key to that was the producer Ben Hillier, because he came to the table not really even being a fan of our music. He knew a few songs and we had to actually get him the whole catalogue for him to listen to. But he really had an idea of how he wanted to approach this and he was aggressive with that and I think we needed that.

“It is a big mountain that you climb together and it’s an experience and it’s a big part of our lives. To be honest, I really felt when we started this album, or way before that, that there was definitely some unfinished business and it’s always been like that. There’s still that feeling of wanting to make the best record that we possibly can and still striving for that.”

Unlike the near-suicidal madness of the old days, even touring is relatively trauma-free these days, Gahan cheerfully recounts.

“On tour now, or definitely the last two tours, I wake up and remember everything that happened the night before!” he marvels. “I remember people’s faces in the audience and I remember the way it felt, and I want to do that again and that’s my drive.

“We don’t fit in and we never have and I’ve come to actually embrace that! There is no-one like Depeche Mode – the way we work, everything about the way we do things. It’s kind of a unique experience and you have to enjoy it, and throw yourself into it and I think that’s one of the real strengths of Depeche Mode.”

Depeche Mode play the MEN Area next Thursday 7.30pm. ?27.50.